THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    First GROUNDHOG expedition of 2007!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First GROUNDHOG expedition of 2007!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Bobby Brown(friend with brain cancer) and i made the "official" opening of Groundhog Season today!! We shot 20 using only his .223 light barreled 700 and my Savage VLP in .204. Shots were mostly 260-390 yards with 3 being 448 yards at the same den. Yes we missed a couple too! All in all a good first day out! Playing the wind was fun and the size of the critters(several of this years pups)(the 3 at 448 yards were all young and about the size or smaller than prairie dogs) made it somewhat challenging! Looking forward to the next foray!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys had a GREAT day!!!!

Don

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Cool. I am getting my 204 "tuned" up for the first pd hunt of the summer.

Good luck to your buddy. My wife was diagnosed with stage three lymphoma a little over a year ago and is still in chemotherapy.

$hit like that slaps you back into reality, and places value where it belongs.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHD,

Sounds like you had a good day! I killed two about a month ago with the .22-250 over at my grandpa's. They were digging out a culvert going under a road going out through one of his fields. I know it was a little early but I shot them in hopes none would return. So far so good. We'll have to get together and turn a few loose at some. The ole 25-06 is begging for a trip Wink. Did a little shooting with it the other day at 500. Clicked it up 50 clicks, first shot = dead bowling pin. I ran 5 in a row and put it up. I figured that was probably close enough. I hope all is well on your end and look forward to hearing from you.

ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruck, I had the second hunt with Bobby yesterday! We shot 22 in the afternoon! The 17HMR got one at 150 yards anfd the .223 and .204 did the duty on the rest out to 421 yards. A lot of hogs this spring it seems!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems I'm seeing far fewer Groundhogs here in N.E. Ohio every year.

I sat on the edge of a sprouting beanfield yesterday after a short rain, did'nt see one. Used to be every Groundhog in the County would be out after a rain on a sunny hot day. It's flat as a fritter here and I glassed a couple of fields with no luck.

Hopefully it'll pick up here. I'll try a hay field this week if the owner gets it mowed.