New
Find
Notify
Tools

20" bbl in .223- Rem LTR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I came across a Remington Light Tactical Rifle which mounts a 20" barrel at a good price.

While I have been thinking about a 22cal varmint for some time, and would prefer an AR15 in this caliber, otherwise I would love a bolt action in 22PPC, this might make do for now since it would be a very long wait for an AR15 here.

What are the ballistics going to be like in such a barrel?

I can get a 700 Police in the same caliber for just a little less but with a 26" bbl would I get an appreciable gain in MV?

1" = approx. 100fps right?

That means a full 600fps increase?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what itis worth I'dpick up in a heart beat if you liked the feel of the rifle.

I've got 3 223's they are as follows (21" on a heavy barrel, 20" on a tiny Sako and 22" on a KImber.

I believe you'll lose something more along the lines of 20-25 fps for each inch taken off. By my way of thinking is not enough to worry about.

I'd say go for it!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dittoe's on what Mark said. If the price is great and you decide you don't like the shorter barrel, you probably can resell it for what you paid for it (but I bet you will like the piece). Only negative would be increased muzzle blast on the shorter barrel. Have fun.

Posts: 49 | Location: York , PA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too found a great deal on a Rem 700 LTR 223. I worked up a great load for it, several groups less than 1/4" but thought that the PSS 223 or VS 223 in the longer barrel would give me more velocity.

I traded the rifle for a VSSF in 223 and find that I am getting slightly less velocity and not as good accuracy.

Every rifle is different. You never know.

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS,

Sounds like a great gun, I have always wanted one in 308 Win. From all that I have heard about them, they are very accurate. Look here on Accurate Reloading (home page) for velocity decrease in a 233.

Gerry

Posts: 11 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: 14 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the LTR in 223 and have had several in 308. They are great guns right out of the box. You might want to smooth and adjust the trigger but that's all needed, they are tack driver's.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Buy it, buy it!!! You wont regret it. I have one that I'm currently working on to be able to shoot it to 1K. If you don't already know, this gun comes with a 1-9" twist barrel that will shoot up to 75gr bullets. Mine has been super accurate with everything from 40gr ballistic tip reduced loads (blue dot)all the way up to 75gr A-max. They do benefit from a skim bedding as all HS stocks do and as already mentioned a good trigger adjustment.

Loss of velocity due to the short barrel will be a non-issue. I've seen more difference between different barrels of the same length than I have with this shorty. Below are velocities I'm getting with said bullets at near max loads. Compare anywhere you like. The bottom line is you will not miss the velocity unless you do 100% of your shooting at the range over a chrono. As always start low and work up.

40gr Btip 8gr Blue dot- 2200 fps

50gr V-max 24.5gr H322- 3236 fps. This mild load incidently shot 3329 fps out of a 24" barreled CZ .223 on the very same day.

69gr MK 26gr Varget- 2970 fps

75gr A-max 25gr Varget- 2851 fps

As stated all loads have been very accurate with minimal load development. Buy it, you wont be sorry.

HPD

Posts: 20 | Location: Washington, MO | Registered: 08 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have this exact rifle. With H335 and 55 grain bullets I can get 3200 fps with excellent accuracy. If you like the feel of the gun buy it. It should prove a great shooter. Personally I love the shorter barrel, which contributes to rifle portability.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.
I'm still not sure if I'll take the rifle or not, since I still don't know what the situation is here with the AR15 or 22PPC - I have a friend who knows the boss at Sako who says he is going to see if he can get an action for me. (No gunshop will sell me an action)

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...it look like the damage has been done, I spoke to the gunshop again and learned that the price I was given was for the rifle WITH scope, it cost 300EU less without (It's common for gunshops to mount scopes on rifles just for display here...)

So 99% I'l be taking it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deal sealed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've recently bought one of these as my 'carry' rifle. I just love it. Accurate out of the box (though I did swap the trigger for a Rifle Basix). Light and pleasant to use. It was a toss up between the LVSF and the LTR. Very glad I chose as I did.

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote