THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: First handloads in my Rem m700 VS..........

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: First handloads in my Rem m700 VS..........
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Charger,

It looks like that Sako is a certified "tackdriver" .

One of the first powders I ever loaded in a 22-250 20 years ago was H380,but I wanted to give Varget and H4895 a try first due to the fact they are part of Hodgdon's "Extreme" line.I will be 'yote hunting with the rifle in cold weather and want my loads to shoot the same as when I worked them up in warmer weather.

I only shot three shot groups,but when I get my load settled on I will shoot some longer shot strings for groups.Might even try to drive a tack or two(LOL)..

jbh,

This rifle has shot well from the get go.Actually I could just hunt with the Winchester USA 45g factory loads since they shoot under MOA well out to 300 meters, but what fun would there be in that???

Plus I owe the gun a little more effort in tuning it.I think it can be a sub half MOA rifle at 400 yards(2" groups or less) if I do my part working up loads....

We will see....

one of us
posted Hide Post
If u're interested in getting the most out of those 22 cal. varminters u might take a look at JLK's LD bullets. They are simply a VLD with the boattail chopped off, but still retain the higher BC's of the VLD's, and most importantly will stabilize in the slower twist factory barrels. The 52 gr. has a BC of .302 for the 14 twist, the 60 is .359/12 twist, and their 65 is .395/10 twist. As far as i know these are the highest BC .22 cal. bullets that will work in std. factory barrels. Talked a guy over @ LR hunting.com into trying them out of his Cooper .22-250, and he is beating his old 50 gr. Nosler BT load at 650 yds. by about 2 MOA in wind drift. Run the #'s on these bullets, and it'll raise an eyebrow or 2, i tell ya'.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may take a peek at those JLK's SSCOYOTE,cause although I dont need a better shooter,the BC of the 224 sucks.Thanks