New
Find
Notify
Tools

GROUND HOGS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND INFO ON THE EFFECTS OF OVER POPULATION OF GROUND HOGS OR WOOD CHUCKS AS WE CALL THEM IN PA, THE PROBLEM I HAVE IS MY BOSS WONT LET ME SHOOT THEM BECAUSE HE SAYS THEY DONT BOTHER HIM, ON ANY GIVEN DAY I CAN COUNT MORE CHUCKS IN 15 MINUTES THAN I HAVE FINGERS AND TOES,I WORK FOR A SKI RESORT AND THERE IS NO DANGER OF FIRING A GUN ITS JUST THAT HE IS AGAINST KILLING ANIMALS SO IF I CAN SHOW HIM IN BLACK AND WHITE THAT THERE IS A REASON FOR CONTROLING THE POPULATION HE MIGHT SEE MY POINT I MYSELF HAVE STEPPED IN A CHUCK HOLE MORE THAN ONCE AND HIS ONLY REPLY IS WATCH WERE YOU ARE WALKING. CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT ON THIS ONE THANKS

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowmaker:
...ITS JUST THAT HE IS AGAINST KILLING ANIMALS SO IF I CAN SHOW HIM IN BLACK AND WHITE THAT THERE IS A REASON FOR CONTROLING THE POPULATION HE MIGHT SEE MY POINT...

If you're up against an anti-hunter, no amount of logic or facts will change their attitude. You're fighting a losing battle here. I'd be looking for another spot to hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think the chuck holes would be hard on any summer maintance equpiment you use. Most likely until something breaks or someone breaks some thing because of them. You are most likely not going to . Well if they under mine a tower or something cause a large money loss you well win.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<J.E.Roop>
posted
Hit him with his wallet!I read a study somewhere that a chuck eats about a ton of hay per year,and that does not include damage from all the hole-digging.How many chucks do you have?? J.E.Roop

<Baldeagle 713>
posted
My Parents own a farm and have lost horses to grond hog holes due to broken legs ect. Not to mention the damage to equipment. SO hit him in the wallett. When and IF ya get permision, give me a call I'll help ya get rid of them cridders, [Wink]

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Bald Eagle 713.Are you telling me that shooting a Ground hog at 525 yard's is easy???????Next you are gonna tell me you shot it with a MATCH KING.......

<Boyd Heaton>
posted

[ 11-09-2002, 09:23: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]

<Baldeagle 713>
posted
EZ ,Shure IT IS!! IF I'm behind your gun and using your bullets and you set up the shot! All I do is see the hog put the cross hairs on the nose and squeese! One dead ground hog! You did all the work I just pulled the trigger. OH yea a MK was used. I was a BAD boy [Roll Eyes] shhh! don't tell any one [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
If a maintance worker or guest stepped into a chuck hole and your boss had a chance to prevent the problem, Some sharp lawyer would love to get ahold of that information. I have a friend who was out riding his horse, stepped into a chuck hole, broke the horses leg and his arm. He was laid up and couldn't farm for a couple months. Now, ANY chucks near his fields are history. Alot of people from the city don't understand the dangers of being out in the country. They figure that if you have a chance to prevent a problem and don't do it, someone is going to pay, and pay alot. That's what lawyers are for. His only option is to have EVERYONE sign a waiver or keep everyone off of the places where the chucks are. And that still doesn't cover you from the people who tresspass. I don't beleave in killing animals just to kill them, but if they are ruining crops or are a danger to people or other animals, they need to be gotten rid of. It sounds like you are working in a place that is open to the public. People come there to have fun and relax, not to step into some chuck's hole and break their leg. If nothing else, your boss owes it to the public to make his place as safe as he can. Lawyers can get very expensive, removing the chucks isn't.

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote