THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Here's a customer who got a 32 gr .204 bullet

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Here's a customer who got a 32 gr .204 bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Groundhog,

Believe what you like.

I worked for Sierra in the late 60s and my boss was was Jack Hill. When the orginal owners sold Sierra to the Leasure Group he came up to Lewiston and ran the tool room and jacket draweing dept. at Speer for a couple of years. When I moved to Lewiston in 1973 I talked to Jack many times, got it straight from him. Havn't you ever seem the inside of a tin can? They'er gold colored.

By the way Jack Hill moved back to Kalif. and He and Jim Spivey (one of the orginal owners of Sierra) started a small drawen parts company, maybe you've heard of it- J4 Jackets. I think Jack knew what he was talking about.

Gold Match are no longer marketed but the same basic bullet is-the 52gr. Speer HP. In all likleyhood they won't shoot with the GM.

Pedro

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nate, I'd try to get you to lean the other way but that will get the 17 guys fired up at me!!! From what I've seen since May 2004 using the 32VMaxs from the .204, it's a winner!!! And that is coming from a 17 fan to boot!! I like the 17's but this little 20 is "bad to the bone" without "blowing the bone out the backside!!!" Now I don't know how well it would work using the loads I chronograped and tested today which were running 4409fps but at the 4000-4100 range, little damage!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've used a bunch of different bullets when collecting fur. In my case the trick load in my mini-14 was using the Speer 52gr hp, ( with the big hole) at near max. I can't remember ever having one exit. In the mini the soft points, and Nosler BT went through and made a mess. The Hornady SX worked great in my .223 Contender but would come apart as they exited the barrel of the mini and my .22-250 if they were at full speed. I took one coyote in the neck at about 150 yds with the Contender and SX's. Dropped himin his tracks and didn't exit. Others were much closer.

In my .22-250 I tried all kinds and seem to have a big hole sooner or later with everything I tried. I did find the 52 gr Speer, and 53gr Hornady were pretty close and used the Hornady bullets the most in that one. The Nosler BT made a big hole.

I also used 75gr Hornady HP's in my .257 Roberts with about the same effect as the .22-250. Most were clean little holes but every once in a while it would make a mess.

I havn't hunted fox, so can't comment on them. ( although some people would anyway ) And on Bobcat I like the .223 the best of what I've used.

My next varminter will be either a .17 Rem or a .204. And at this point I think I'm leaning toward the .17!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the area. If your in the desert of CA and can see for miles around(i.e. hole in the wall area) I would say a hollow point match bullet. But I will say that most will bounce of of rocks and ground on a miss. If your in an area where that would be a very bad thing to happen (most areas esp if live stock is around) I would say a low speed (under 3k fps) spitzer or plastic tip bullet. But if your gun likes only high speed then I would say TNT bullets have worked well in my little 223. MV was 3287 and would splater small groundhogs but would not exit the large ones. I would think that if you hit a dessent size fox at 100yrds it would not exit. These bullets crumble on contact of small game. I have seen them drop yotes at 300+yrds. My $.02

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I noticed frost on the ground this weekend and it's gotten me thinking about the upcoming predator season. I'm just curious to see what people's opinions are for the "perfect" cartridge/bullet combination for foxes and coyotes that don't leave baseball-sized exit wounds in the hides, yet can still solidly anchor a coyote at 300 yards. Any ideas out there?

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a 27-30gr. bullet from a 17 Remington, no bullets bouncing around farmer Joe's cattle, no need to learn to sew, lazer like trajectory out to 300 yards, who could ask for more? Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
52gr Speer Gold Match was just an extra good shooting batch of regular 52gr. Speer's that they tin plated. The 52gr. HPs they sell are still the same basic bullet. And one does not want to hit the shoulder of a coyote with a 22/250 or Swift with these bullets. Pedro

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
talentrec,
If you have a .224 center fire, down loading the horn.spsx. work nice. If you have a .204 cal the 32 v-max is great. Lets say you have a .172, the 20gr. v-max has my vote. The 6mm are getting a little big for the pelt hunter, although I have taken two clean with good placement(up the hole if you will).One was luck. Both with the 70gr. tnt's. I here some guy's are using the .224 35gr.v-max (made for the 22 hornet)in thier .223rems with some good results. 35gr. is heresay but the others are tried and true , thou I might work up a load for my .223 just to see what they do.

Good luck, let use know how you do. P.S. This is comming from a guy how thinks a 338 lapua is the best yote round. Unlike you I like the splat factor!
338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
32 grain VMAXs from a 204 ought to fit the bill! Unless the shot is upside the head!! Then eyeballs and teeth get disshelveled!!! Neck....no exit!! Have to look hard for the entrance!! A lot like the 17's! If going to the .224s the 40BT will have a hard time finding the way out the backside at around 34-3500! Ray Speer quit making his 52 grain GOLD MATCH bullets around 1977!!! That was the ticket!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback. Over the years, I've tried:

.223 40gr Nosler BT - Huge holes on broadside shots
.223 52gr Sierra match - Huge holes from any angle
.223 55gr FMJ - under 200 yards, still tears them up

.243 58gr V-Max - Couldn't even find all of the pieces of the animal
.243 90gr Sierra FMJ - same as the .223 FMJ

So, I'm thinking either the 204 or the 17. Has anyone actually shot a fox or coyote with a 204 yet?

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote