THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Does a .22LR have enough coyote power?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Does a .22LR have enough coyote power?
 Login/Join

posted
Possible? Yes, but there's very few things that I'd classify as simply impossible.

Practical? Not unless you're a trapper and have a close range shot at an animal that can't take off running.

Posts: 20 | Location: KY | Registered: 04 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I killed one from a tractor while feeding cattle last winter with a Ruger single six pistol in .22 LR (three shots required @ 40-50 yards). I hate them. I will shoot at them with whatever weapon I have available, but the .22 LR would certainly not be my choice.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never done it but here is what to do if your going to try it.........Get some CCI Velocitors and a "hollow pointing" tool from EA Brown company. It deepens the hollow and makes it slightyly wider. You'll then have a 39 Gr expanding bullet that has much more power than a regular "hi speed". I would limit my shots to 60 yards or under and any lung hit will mean a 100 yard tracking job. But from shooting other game like large coons I think that the above load WILL kill a coyote with a precise hit in the lungs in a reasonable short time. I've never tried it but if I was out hunting aan got a nice broadside shot on a yote with that load I would have confidence in it out to 60-75 yards. Just my opinion FNMauser

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My last two with a .223 ran about 40 yards, so I would never use a .22 RF. Sunday I shot a coyote that was broadside about 40 yards away - the bullet went squarely thru his chest and blew out a 2 inch hole on the other side.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live near my dad, I shoot coyotes almost every week that I am home, off his poarch. very open area out to 400 odd yards. I Cannot tell you how many times I tried to prove to myself the 22 lr was ok for coyotes. It is not uncommon at all to watch them run 200 odd yards on a solid double lung. I have no doubt alot of coyotes are "lost" just short of looking a bit harder when hit with the LR. They sure can take abuse... see how funny it is when you open the top of the heart up with a 44 mag and watch them run a 100 yards.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldnt use a .22 rimfire on a songdog. But hey thats me.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
I made a less than good shot on a running coyote last Saturday. Hit him through the spine just in front of the hip with a 308 165gr Hornady SST with an impact velocity of about 2700 fps.

That dog managed to drag himself 50 yards with his forelegs in the time it took me to check on another dog and then get back to him to finish him off.

My point is these are very tenacious animals and can do amazing things with less than instantly fatal hits. They can take a lot of killing pound for pound.

I would not hunt them on purpose with a .22 LR. I would hope to have Power Points in my rifle if I did shoot one with the LR.

Tim

Posts: 1535 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote