THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    anyone else bought the Rem 700vlssth?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone else bought the Rem 700vlssth?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has any one else bought the new Rem 700 vlssth? what do you think of them? I bought mine in 22-250 and getting about a 1" grouping at 100yds with 55 grains factory Rem shells, wondering if anyone had reloaded any for a tighter group? People i have talk to said it should shoot a tighter pattern with the thumb hole in the stock and the vent holes in the forearm, just got to go out and buy a reloader now.This is my first varmit rifle and so far satifed with the way it blows stuff up!

Posts: 44 | Location: wis | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Haven't seen one yet, so I can't comment directly on the rifle, but it sounds nice.

Regarding accuracy, I think most here would agree that a thumbhole stock and a vented forearm don't make one hoot of difference as features in and of themselves. The people telling you that "it should be shooting tight groups because of the thumbhole stock and the vented forearm" don't really sound like knowledgeable shooters (not trying to insult them, I just can't believe that they would tell you something so completely erroneous). That doesn't mean that these things can't aid in getting tight groups -- the thumbhole stock may offer a more natural shooting position for you, and the venting in the forearm theoretically helps to cool the barrel. My point is simply that ergonomics and cooling have value, but if your barrel is cross-threaded in the action, thumbholes and venting won't fix it. I'm also not suggesting there is necessarily anything wrong with your rifle; I think handloading will almost certainly improve your 1" groups. Other things to consider are what you are using for a rest, and your shooting technique in general. I know that since I got a really solid front rest, my shooting has been more consistent.

If you are new to handloading, check out the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit -- I am fairly new at handloading myself, and it has served me well.

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, the guys that told me it should shot tighter, i have seen three of them shot a group of six in the size of a dime if not smaller at 100yds, they all reload though, two shoot 700vls heavy barrels,and the other shoots a 220 swift, the one with the 700vls i have seen shoot thumb tacks at 100yds,and i would like to be able to do the same, they all suggest the rock cucker, all shoting is done at our rifle range at our rod and gun, with sand bags, i have had the trigger set down to about 2lbs and that did make a difference,i do shoot two eyes open which is a plus,the thumbhole is a very natural feeling, which i do like, i have let the other guys shoot it and the want one,but they won't give out their secert recipes to their loads though, i bought it at schells in wis. acusport was the ones that had it custom ordered, there is only 500 of the 22-250, and 500 of the 223 made, so they are hard to find,they might run another batch of them,the dealer in my home town was able to get a couple of the 223, but none of the 22-250 after i showed him mine, cabelas in minn, hadn't heard of them, need to put a difference scope on it though, i stole my wifes simmons 4.5-16 of her deer rifle, want to put a 6.5-20 nikon on it, but bills come first, i was wondering if somebody had a load that i could start with to group better, when i do buy a rock cucker,that will be before the scope, hopefully soon, thanks for the input

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I am convinced...guys that actually won't share their load data with you?! You need to get some new shooting buddies...

I would think that most reloaders/shooters that found a formula that worked well would be TOO anxious to share it with others. Anyway, enough about the selfish...

As you probably know, different guns (even in the same caliber) like different combinations of powder/primers/bullet weights. I think one combination you may want to try in your rifle would be the old .22-250 standby...a 55 grain bullet (try the Hornady V-Max) over 38 grains of H380. That is not a max load, so after making sure that you are getting no pressure signs, you should be able to slowly and carefully increase that powder charge if necessary.

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought a Remington 700 VSSF .22-250 and I had the exact same problem with factory ammo. I�ve had good luck with 52gr Sierra HPBT with 34.5gr of IMR 4895. My overall length is 2.433. I hope this helps. If your gun is like mine then it should perform much better with hand loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of working up loads for my Remington 700 VLS in 6mm Rem. It's an attractive rifle with the laminated stock but a trifle heavy at well over 9 lbs. I wasn't too happy with the ridiculous trigger pull and got it changed immediately. I also had the rifle glass bedded and the barrel floated before even firing it. Hope you have good results with yours. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I finally got one guy to load some of his loads for me, can't wait to see what it will do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
700vlssth: I feel bad about your buddies not sharing with you! I of course will share! I will share some specifics and some generalities. Some generalities from the loading notes of my many 22-250's I have owned over the years!

I prefer Federal 210M (Match/Bench Rest) primers. I still weigh every powder charge! I have had good luck with all brands of brass! But I sort some of the brands by weight. I used RCBS dies from 1965 through 1988 pretty much exclusively for my 22-250's (and other Varminters) then I went to Redding and seemed to get better performance. Then in about 1995 RCBS again started putting out very excellent dies capable of very concentric ammunition (these tend to be more accurate). Either brand dies should be easy to find and in stores today and will work well for you I am sure. I have had good luck and consistent F.P.S. readings with DuPont IMR 4064 powder in many of my 22-250's. There may be better powders for the 250 but be sure and try this powder as it has a high percentage chance of providing excellent accuracy for you. I have one 22-250 now that prefers DuPont IMR 3031 powder so put this one on your list. This Rifle is a Remington 40XB model I bought it in 1981. It still shoots extremely well today.

The closest Rifle I have today to what you are working on is a Remington 700 VLSS in 22-250 (26" barrel). It shoots this loading very well and I just brought it online this late spring.

VLSS 22-250 load: Speer 52 gr. H.P. (flat base), in Federal cases, with Federal 210M primers and 35.0 grs. of IMR 4064 powder.

Good luck with your nifty Remington! I have been unaware of this model until you mentioned it and described it! It sure sounds like a neat Rifle! Yes I endorse plenty of scope power for you 22-250 and hope your wife will forgive you for "borrowing" her scope! Several of my 22-250's have Leupold 6.5x20 variables on them. This is a great scope choice for the 22-250 by the way - IMHO!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in a light bullet load for your .22-250 I have had good results with 40 grain Hornady VMAX bullets, Winchester large rifle primers, Remington cases, and Hodgdon Varget powder. Started with 36.5 grains and worked up to book max 39.5 grains. This powder is advertised to provide stable preassures at high and low temperature extremes. If you get into reloading, I recommend the purchase of a Hodgdon Annual Manual, up to date reloading data and a good read besides. Easy to tell I like Hodgdon powders isn't it?

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, iam keeping data on all the input from everybody so it will be good when i start to reload. thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for more data on reloads, it will be intersting what it will do with some reloads, thanks again.