Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 cal bullets
 Login/Join

posted
I just built a .222 rem on a Savage tactical action.its a 1 in 12 twist Dougles S.S. barrel.Im looking for a great varmint bullet between 40 and 52 grains.I dont care for v-max but the 52gr A-max might work.What seems to work for you guys? Thanks Jon

Posts: 23 | Location: clinton In USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<bigbelly>
posted
I just love the combined technologies ballistic silvertip 50gr bullet,over a med dose of H-322 or benchmark.jmho

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the 50gr speer TNT bullet?
Speer reccomends that it not be pushed over 3800fps, but that would
make it ferfect for a cartridge in the .223, .222 class.

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
What kind of varmints? The Sierra's are generally considered to be the most explosive factory bullets. The Berger MEF and Starke Red Prairy are "more better" than that.

For p-dogs and chucks and such, it would be hard to beat a benchrest bullet for pure accuracy. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
varmints for the bullet would be coyoty,fox,ground hog and crow.along with paper.also if anybody has any .222 load info to share that would be nice to.the two powders I have on hand for it are 2015,h335.thanks Jon

Posts: 23 | Location: clinton In USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ambivalent about the VMAX myself, but there is only one bullet for the .222 and that would be the Nosler BT of 40 gr weight.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
I have a great 222 load for yotes, 21.5 grains of IMR 4064 with a Honady 52 grain BTHP Match bullet.This load has not ever failed me.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Chuck66>
posted
Bow,
I have two 222's and the powder that works best for me is AA1680. I get consistant speeds with little variation and .25in groups. My load is 23gr. with a 40gr. Nosler BT Molycoated, Wichester brass, Fed. 205M primer.
Out of a 24in brl. @ 3742fps. I have tried six other powders and by far this powder outperformed all the others by 300 to 400fps. and group size.

Chuck T

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Re: Speer TNT. Yes, Thomas, I use it exclusively in my .222 and it is outstanding in both accuracy and expansion. It is also very economical when purchased in the 1000 round bulk packs. My load uses H-335 (consult any manual for a starting place, but remember that the .222 is usually loaded to a lower pressure than its progeny, so you can typically boost listed loads a bit and stay within acceptable pressures). 2015 should work well, also.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Speer TNT is the most explosive bullet that I have tried in my .222's. I also use Hornady VMAX, SX and Nosler BT's. In terms of accuracy, the Speer is very good, and is the best in my newest .222. For me, the Hornady's are better for accuracy in long throated (worn) chambers.

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why go with a 1-12 for that light of bullets I would go with the 1-14 for those.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
<RustyRifling>
posted
Just curious, if you intend to shoot bullets in the 40-52gr wt range, why did you opt for a 1/12" twist?
Rusty

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For high volume ground squirrel shooting I have been using Rem 50gr hollowpoints. They are accurate, effective and priced right.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Crow>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bowmeister:
I just built a .222 rem on a Savage tactical action.its a 1 in 12 twist Dougles S.S. barrel.Im looking for a great varmint bullet between 40 and 52 grains.I dont care for v-max but the 52gr A-max might work.What seems to work for you guys? Thanks Jon

Jon,

I have a few questions:

1. Why do you not like the V-maxes? Bad experience?

2. Is this barrel from SSS? I know Fred likes the 12 twist with the lighter bullets, perhaps he recommended it?

3. What is a tactical action?

I have had excellent results with AA2015 in my 222. This will push a 40 gr at about 3725 with a 26" bbl. As far as bullets go, any good bullet should shoot well from that barrel.

Make sure of your chamber dimensions before you shoot, as some of the SSS barrels require neck turning........

R

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Gotta know.... why a 12" twist on a .222? Probably 50gr. bullets are as light as you can use at .222 velocities.

posted Hide Post
I thought the 1-12 twist would do everything I need.yes the barrel is from SSS the neck of the chamber is a littel loose I think but not bad.Im getting groups under1/2 inch with the first few loads Iv tried.but I dont like the bullets I bought.40grVLCs the ogive on the bullets vary so the setting depth changes from round to round.I just shot one through the crono @ 3735fps that was with the load of 1680 AA that was posted earlier.I hope it groups well.If my gun shoots 50gr bullets better I will prob. use the TNT.Any other thoughts on this are more than welcome.thanks

posted Hide Post
the 1-12 vs 1-14 twist I will address here since I didnt go into any detail. I think a bullet that is over stabilized tends to have a better chance at accuracy then one that could start out under stabilized.But i have been wrong befor any thoghts?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well for me the 1-14 worked fine up to 55g but it might have a little to do with speed difference between the 222 and the 250.
I bought some of the 35g vmaxs for my 222 but no data to share yet as to performance though. I have had good results with the H-4198 in the 222 though.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pete152
posted Hide Post
Gidday'I was wondering what projectile do you blokes use for rabbits in the .222? Mainly over long range and short?
Peter

Posts: 171 | Location: australia | Registered: 06 July 2000Reply With Quote