THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    What's going one with the freakin' coyotes in Atlanta?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's going one with the freakin' coyotes in Atlanta?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We're eat up with the bastards, and I live almost in Atlanta proper! Had one chase my dog (miniature American Eskimo) to the house this morning, but it was gone before I could retrieve my shotgun. This is the second time they've gone after this dog. She's starting to get a persecution complex.

My neighbor has shot five with a .17 HMR, including one that weighed 60 pounds. I saw that one as it passed through my yard and it looked for all the world to be a wolf! These Eastern coyotes are huge. (I read an article that in New Hampshire the DNR did a DNA analysis on their coyote population and discovered that it actually contained a high percentage of wolf DNA. They believe that their population interbred with wolves as they migrated eastward through Canada.)

I don't know if our southern yotes have wolf in them or not, but they are considerably bigger than the yotes I've seen in Texas and Colorado. Some say they are part domestic dog hence their large size. If that is true, then the coyote gene is dominant, as their coat and shape remains 100 percent yote.

All is know is the more we kill around our neighborhood, the more we seem to have. Last night, they were howling and it sounded like a pack of a dozen or more. I've hunted them some (totally illegal in this county) but they are not too interested in coming to my predator calls in the daylight. The neighbor who has killed the five, did so by setting up on a hill every day after getting home from work, that overlooks a pond on a large undeveloped track that adjoins our subdivision. Everyone in the subdivision knows he does this, and no one complains. We have a great group of neighbors
even if they are a bunch of city slickers.

Funny thing is coyotes are not considered native to this part of the world, and no one knows for sure how they got here. All I know is they ARE here and seem to have no inclination to leave.

So if anyone wants to varmint hunt illegally in North Fulton County, Georgia, let me know.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We got the same thing here in Nashville, TN.

My uncle lives about a mile from St. Thomas Hospital and kept finding his cat on the roof of the house in the mornings. Then there was no cat at all.

A few weeks later the neighbor looked out her window one night and there was 5 coyotes just walking down the street.... said they were saying "here kitty kitty kitty".

Every year about this time, they will have a news feature about the coyotes killing house pets and some liberal idiot wanting someone to catch them and relocate them to where they can live in peace. Roll Eyes

Posts: 109 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess 15 or so years ago, maybe closer to 20 same thing in PA. If you said you saw a coyote in the mid 80's, you may as well have said I saw Bigfoot get off a UFO. Then one day they showed up and have not left since. Just like someone dropped off a truck load of them. I love it, I wished we had them like Arizona and South West Texas. I have had action of some sort every year for the last 5-6 years. Not like the guys out west do, Dare to Dream

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live around the Chattanooga area & we have some pretty big ones around here also. I have heard stories about "red wolves" being released in Cades Cove that have made it all the way down to the Chattanooga area. I don't know how true that is, I have not been told this by any TWRA officials. It is a story floating around the local store/checking station.
I have heard them by my house & at a friends house in north Georgia, they sounded like there were hundreds of them. We have not tried to hunt them yet, but we are going to.
I was driving back from a super bowl party & I had one run out ahead of me that was the biggest I have ever seen. It was every bit as big as a german shepard. It was in an area where a lot of subdivisions are currently going in. We are lossing a lot of farm land at the moment just north of Chattanooga.
They are not just in the suburbs though. There have been several reports of them hanging around one of the busiest areas in town, where alot of restaurants are located.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same problem up in Ohio, rumor is the DNR release some to control the deer herd because the insurance co. were complaing too much about cars hiting deer. Seems to me that they should just have a longer huting season for deer. Guess thats to easy of an answer.
Well now we have an open season on yotes, no deer so we have to hunt yotes.

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live about 40 miles SW of Houston, TX, well inside the city limits in a town of about 15k. The last three coyotes I have seen were inside our city limits. The last one was within about 300 yards of my house, and about 100 yards from our high school. Quite a few nights last summer I could hear them howling south of me in an open field completely surrounded by houses less than a quarter mile away.

It is a well known fact that coyotes easily adapt themselves to living around humans, and despite 1080 guns, trapping, shooting on sight and every other control mechanism tried, there are more coyotes now than 30 years ago. And their numbers are increasing. In short, they are survivors. Kinda like cockroaches, I guess...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Willy's .450
posted Hide Post
gahunter,

if they are that bad then one of two things will happen. enough people will complain and the city will hire "sharpshooters" or parvo will get to them. im from coffe county in way south ga and we got a good run of parvo about ten years ago. there wasnt a single fox, 'yote or wild dog up until about five years ago when we started gettin fox again but the yote population still hasnt recovered.

geoff

OOORAH!!!

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 08 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're probably breeding. Keep your knickers up and you'll be okay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ah, but coyote hunting is good sport

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WTR
posted Hide Post
Im in extreme NE Gwinnett County GA and I have seen more foxes up here than coyotes....

Now the farm I grew up on in Putnam County is slap full of coyotes and all the rabbits and foxes have flat vanished! These coyotes we are killing in Putnam County are big'uns - most are 50+ pounds and they are getting less shy around us (too bad for them....) A gentleman is leasing our pastures for cattle and he has traps all over the place b/c the cows are dropping calves daily right now.

I looked at a piece of land to buy in North Fulton/Forsyth not too long ago - coyote scat and tracks were plentiful.

Posts: 35 | Location: Madison, GA | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
We're eat up with the bastards, and I live almost in Atlanta proper! Had one chase my dog (miniature American Eskimo) to the house this morning, but it was gone before I could retrieve my shotgun. This is the second time they've gone after this dog. She's starting to get a persecution complex.

GAHunter--I'm in Smiler I live in Destin FL but my parents are in Dekalb Co near Stone Mtn. Just put a T-36 Weaver on my 6PPC and would love to give the yotes a taste of some Sierra BTHP's.
VFR
My neighbor has shot five with a .17 HMR, including one that weighed 60 pounds. I saw that one as it passed through my yard and it looked for all the world to be a wolf! These Eastern coyotes are huge. (I read an article that in New Hampshire the DNR did a DNA analysis on their coyote population and discovered that it actually contained a high percentage of wolf DNA. They believe that their population interbred with wolves as they migrated eastward through Canada.)

I don't know if our southern yotes have wolf in them or not, but they are considerably bigger than the yotes I've seen in Texas and Colorado. Some say they are part domestic dog hence their large size. If that is true, then the coyote gene is dominant, as their coat and shape remains 100 percent yote.

All is know is the more we kill around our neighborhood, the more we seem to have. Last night, they were howling and it sounded like a pack of a dozen or more. I've hunted them some (totally illegal in this county) but they are not too interested in coming to my predator calls in the daylight. The neighbor who has killed the five, did so by setting up on a hill every day after getting home from work, that overlooks a pond on a large undeveloped track that adjoins our subdivision. Everyone in the subdivision knows he does this, and no one complains. We have a great group of neighbors
even if they are a bunch of city slickers.

Funny thing is coyotes are not considered native to this part of the world, and no one knows for sure how they got here. All I know is they ARE here and seem to have no inclination to leave.

So if anyone wants to varmint hunt illegally in North Fulton County, Georgia, let me know.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Willy's .450:
gahunter,

im from coffe county in way south ga and we got a good run of parvo about ten years ago. there wasnt a single fox, 'yote or wild dog up until about five years ago when we started gettin fox again but the yote population still hasnt recovered.

geoff

OOORAH!!!

I wondered what happened to all the coyotes. I live in Dodge Co. (about 50 mi. north of Coffee Co.) and I noticed the population dropped about then and hasn't recovered. It's kind of rarity to see a coyote here and I hope it stays that way. We have killed, trapped and did anything to rid ourselves of these pests.

Posts: 92 | Location: Eastman, GA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Chattanooga also. Several years ago cats and dogs started to disappear. Every other telephone pole had a "Missing, Beagle named Joe"...or whatever, sign on it. You could go out on your porch at night and listen to the coyotes call. People would let their dogs out at night only to never be seen again.

Of course, when you would suggest that coyotes were responsible, there was a certain group of people who dismissed the idea...you know, the same old group. Nevermind that you would catch glimpses of them on the side of the road and could hear them calling at night. And I'm talking about in a place that has never had coyotes. And it would seem, at least to me, that pets disappearing and the sudden emergence of coyotes was a bit too much of a coincidence. Hmmm.

Landrum

Posts: 247 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 20 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hmmm! Coincides with the disappearance of the small game folks, it does.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF you want to call coyotes the easy way.
Make up a good heavy double wire cage/trap and stake it out so it can't be tipped over or torn up. Then put a Siamese cat in it and lock the door. Then go to your shooting setup. They'll be there shortly.
We've done that out here in CO a few times. One of the most effective ways I've ever seen. Even shooting a couple don't seem to make 'em spooky long as the cats still yowling.

Folks lived on a ranch in the middle of about 10,000 acres of short grass. Everytime they'd come to town someone would give them cats to take home it seemed. They seldom kept a cat a full month til it disappeared. Dad found lot's of fur piles in the brush.

At one time he told me they'd taken over 50 cats home in less than ten months and only had a big mean old Tom cat left and seldom saw him as he'd stay hidden in the barn. Mom would take some milk out and call Tom, and he'd come get it. They kept the door closed to the barn. But, after he'd been around quite awhile I left the door open over a weekend for a mare and colt to go in and out and we never saw Tom again.

During this time two of us got to talking about the cats not staying around long. And came up with the idea of putting some cats in a wire cage and sniping the coyotes. One summer evening we killed seven trying to get the cats. We liked to never got the cats out of the cage. Then we both got scratched up badly trying to handle them. Think we put five cats in there the first time and three got away to never be seen again.

That summer we killed over 30 coyotes.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote