New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 Ackley Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been using a .223 A I for several years now and have been getting the normal 3600fps MV with 50 gr. v-max Moly coated (m/C) using H-335. After talking with some fellows that also have a couple of these little babies, I started using IMI brass and Benchmark powder. After just a little expermenting, I reached 3750fps and my groups were .250 to .300. I couldn't believe it, so I reshot several groups and it has been the same....The largest group I've got has been .300 at 100 yards....I wonder if any of you are using a .223 AI and if so, what kind of results are you getting?

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got a new cooper 223AI--Haven't shot it yet. Any load help would be appreciated. If you prefer email me at
edelong1@cox.net Ed

Posts: 88 | Location: Eastern Kansas | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Singleshooter,
I've been using the .223 AI since 1995 and have 3 in that caliber with a medium varminter, a light varminter, and a sporter. All three have match grade SS barrels, Jewel triggers and blue printed Rem. 700 actions. I use them for P. Dogs, Coyote Hunting and general Crow and varmint hunting. Having said that: this is what I like. For fireforming winchester cases, 26.0 grs. of H-335 with "naked" bullets or 26.5 grs. of H-335 with moly coated (M/C) bullets. After your cases have been fireformed, 28.5 grs. of H-335 with "naked" bullets or 29.1 grs. of H-335 with M/C bullets is very accurate and meters very well thru a powder measure. Recently I've been using the same load for P. Dogs but I have gone to Hogdon Benckmark and IMI cases for Coyote hunting. You will have to use a long drop tube to get 29.0 grs. of Benchmark in the case comfortably. YOU should work up very carefully to this load but I've gone up to 29.5 grs of Benchmark and the 50 gr. V-Max M/C bullets. That is a little warm and I have settled on 29.0 grs. with M/C bullets and a velocity of 3750fps MV.. Hope this helps: I have run the ballistics thru my computer and the .204 Ruger is a little flatter but has less energy. 3750 fps is right in ther with the .22-250 and is deadly on Groundshogs, coyotes and other critters. I know you will like it a lot, it is one of the best cartridges on the planet today for varmints. Its easy on barrels. cases have a long life, very little case stretching and deadly accurate....If I can help with any other questions, give me a holler.....
George

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in 1995 the July issue of Varmit Hunter Magazine had a load chart for a 223AI and had another in 1997 January issue both use Win case and with 28.5/H-335 got 3601fps with 50 gr bullets five shot group .27 max load was 29.5/H-335 and was 3701fps group .41. These were with non-moly bullets. I settled on a load of 26to26.5gr/V-133 with 50/52 gr bullets get 3558fps which is about what was published in the article from 1995 both my rifles get groups in the .2's/.3's with hart 1/14 twist barrels. Back in 1994 I had alot of V-133 and no H-335 so just use V-133 but got some of the first lots of surplus 8208 and have been using than. The first rifle I had done put a 36x leupold 2oz trigger got some groups in the high .1's with Brawand 52 gr match bullets on a pacific reamer I had made up that the gunsmith used to say the least I was real happy considering it was a non tight neck rifle just had to have another. For me I haven't gain anything as far as group size when I go up in velocity so just stay where I'm at, also I've got a 22-250AI so no need to push. Tried 28/V135 with 55 gr bullet got alittle over 3600fps groups were in the .4's. I started with a 222AI about 20yrs ago and been shooting the 223AI about 10 now.

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom,
Thanks for your comments...I saw both the articles in Varmint Hunter mag. and thats where I got my starting loads. However, at that time, Benchmark wasn't available. When Nosler came out with there latest manual, they included Benchmark for the .223 Rem. and the velocities were much higher than anything before. Thats where I got the idea to try it in the .223 AI. Reloader 10X is similiar I think and I was wondering if anyone has tried it in the .223 AI. The Benckmark loads that I have tried are just unbelievable!!