THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Another 204 tested!! Same deal!! They shoot!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another 204 tested!! Same deal!! They shoot!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tested a BROWNING VARMINT A Bolt this evening that had been on consignment at my shop for awhile...........not on consignment anymore as the former owner now has a R-15 VTR and I have the Browning and a chunk of change!!
Anyway, I had 4 boxes of factory stuff sitting on my shelves at home and I put a Simmons Aetec 2.8-10 on the rifle to test it.........not the optics I would prefer but all I had open at the time! Winchester factory 34 grain HP shot into .578 for 4 shots(all of them I had) Remington 32 grain Accutips shot into 1.066 for 4(all of them also!)((worst grouping I've seen from a .204 in 5 years of messing with them!!))Federal 39 grain Blitzking factory loading shot into .537 and the head turner was the Hornady 45 grain SP factory loading!! It shot .485 and .416 groups for 5 shots using that factory load!! Just for S&G I brought out a box of my 27.5 grain or Accurate 2520 loads with the 39 grain Sierras and(neck sized for my Savage VLP but the bolt closed!!) it proceeded to do 8 shots(barrel was getting warm I am sure!) into .504". A little work with this one and it would be a bonafide "varmint mister"! That 45 grain factory load astounded me! First .204 that I've tested that REALLY seemed to like those heavies!! Wonder what it would do with the 40Vmax's!!?? Never seen those bullets do acceptable accuracy in but one 204 and it was a Model 7, 20" pencil barrel!! Maybe I'll test it!! Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Charlie-

As if the varmints in your neck of the woods didn't have it tough enough, you up the ante on your end by adding ANOTHER tack-driver to your arsenal. That's just not fair... Big Grin

All kidding aside, thanks for the report. I always look forward to your reviews.

Keep those groundhogs on the run...

Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
+1 on the good information. Keep us informed as I have an encore barrel that I will be developing some loads for.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
What, you mean you didn't get a "cloverleaf" right away. I would get over to the bench and get to work:!: Cool

Congrats!!!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Charlie (GHD), and anyone else,

Had any experience with #1's in 204? I have one (as does a friend), and we have yet to have real great success in getting them to shoot much better than 1-1 1/2. I know that #1's are not renown when it comes to accuracy, but I have #1's in 218 Bee and K-Hornet that outshoot both 204's quite nicely.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1V in .204 and it likes 39 Sierra's over VV N-133 powder. Makes small groups.

Tom

Posts: 38 | Location: Wi. | Registered: 22 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I had a cooper 21 in .204 that shot consistent .2's and bunch of .1's w a forgotten load involving Berger bullets. I personally hated loading the tiny bullets. It also didn't do anything the Ol' 22-250 didn't do better. But congrats on a new bangstick!!!

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long live the great .204 Ruger beer

Long Live the great coyote beer

Long live the great Browning Arms beer

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote