THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Bubonic Plague in Kern County California

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bubonic Plague in Kern County California
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Just a reminder to not touch the ground squirrels, prairie dogs, etc. Yesterday a domestic cat in Hart Flat, California was found carrying the Bubonic Plague bacteria. The family that owns the cat is undergoing preventative treatment now.

In the last few years rodents carrying both Bubonic and Pnuemonic Plague bacteria have been found in a number of western states. Human deaths have occured in California and Texas.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerNice heads up, Frank. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone gathered a huge pile of dead ground squirrels in our campsite near the CA border in April, for a comparison of what the .223 does vs the 17HMR.

Then that someone left the area and we kept camping. After a few freezing nights, the fleas left the squirrels and got into my sleeping bag. Now I don't feel so good CRYBABY

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Joe Munoz
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Was that in the paper here or where did you find that out? I hunt alot on our place in Hart Flat.

Joe

Posts: 2 | Location: Bakersfield CA | Registered: 13 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Yep, it was in the "Bakersfield Californian" Saturday morning.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Joe Munoz
posted Hide Post
Well going to have to be real careful with them now.

Joe

Posts: 2 | Location: Bakersfield CA | Registered: 13 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
They also confirmed Bubonic Plague in a tree squirrel found dead in Denver on May 2nd

Frank

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up. I have another reason to resent the many neighbors here who feed squirrel. My neighborhood is grossly overpopulated with tree rats.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
A pile of corn and a RWS with wadcutters does a nice job of urban tree rat relocation (to heaven)! Wink

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K20350:
A pile of corn and a RWS with wadcutters does a nice job of urban tree rat relocation (to heaven)! Wink

Shoot the big ones in the neck.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote