Find
Notify
Tools

My 223 wssm is ready
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
Just talked to Kevin Weaver at Weaver Rifles. He has finished my rifle and will be sending it to me this week.
I need some bullet and load recomendations.
win 70, 26" pacnor #2 fluted 14" twist.
This will be a walk around rifle. i considering the nosler 40gr BT as the first bullet I will try. I'm also considering Berger and Hornady V-max.
For deer I'm considering the barnes 52gr TSX.
I have no direction on Powder.
Thanks for the Help
Dr B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Imr4350 and RL19 work well in my son's Browning, with a 60gr Vmax @ 3,650fps. H4895 pushed a 50 BT to 4,040 with the first load we tried and it is accurate.

Even after annealing the necks, case life appears to be short, with a few split necks after the 4th firing. I may have to anneal more often, or just live with it as a price of performance

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc B:

My jury is still out on the WSSM... as I have looked real hard at factory data, and then looked at 22.250 AI velocities... and don't see a lot of difference... And I have the 22.250.. in fact several of them....

However, I can pass on... take a look at the Speer 52 grain HP bullet.. it is fairly inexpensive... stands up to fast twists.. is as accurate as any match or ballistic tip style bullet... and is explosive on a varmint when it hits it...NOT recommended for Coyotes if you are saving fur... but definitely recommended on sage rats and prairie dogs... turns them inside out!

Good luck with her!

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If u can find some 52 gr. JLK LD's somewhere, that'd be your long-range bullet with a BC of .302 it'll do some things way out there. Got a buddy that's a long-range shooter, and is amazed at their performance to long-range (500-600) yds. out of his Cooper 22-250.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote