Find
Notify
Tools

Help - yotes everywhere
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted
And I don't know the first thing about getting rid of em.

My land is covered up. I've been bowhunting and all the deer I had on camera in Sept have vanished. Now I know why! My hunting buddy saw 6 (yes, six) yotes from my treestand this evening.

I need to know what kind of caller, what calls, everything.

The ba$#$%^s are ruining my hunting. I have not seen a single deer fawn this year.... no rabbits... no coons... and we were covered up before. Deer have basically left the area. I'm starting to worry about calves now.

I will be bringing in a govt trapper, but I want some payback first (before they get wise).

Death must be dealt and dealt in large numbers!!

Grrrr.....

Enlighten me, please.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big-Ed: I give (and use myself on occassion!) the Primos "Raspy Coaxer" Coyote call, to my new to Coyoting friends and acquaintances.
This call is very effective and very easy to use!
It also has a "mode" for "tiny squeaking"!
I wish I had more time tonight to give advice but will check back in a day or two. I am in between Moose and Antelope Hunts with Deer, Coyote and Elk Hunts pending immediately!
If you are seeing them that often call sparingly til you get a shot then dump one and be prepared to move a ways to get the next one.
Try to make careful shots as misses result in "smart" Coyotes! They won't soon come to the call again in that area.
Best of luck and get after them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'll echo a couple of comments that are very true. Don't call much and keep it fairly quiet at first. They'll be in your lap in a couple minutes. Keep wind direction in mind, wear camo and a face veil, move slowly.

Secondly, I recommend the coyote loads for the 12ga. and full or modified chokes. Turkey guns are great. If you have an auto then don't be surprised if you can double on your first few sets. The coyotes wise up quickly so try not to let them come in and leave. These are the ones I was thinking of but I've used a lot of smaller buchshot and down to "BB's" as well. Nate
Hevi Shot "dead Coyote"

P.S. after you've called a bit they'll come in slower and hold up a bit. If it's open ground then bring a rifle. I've done a lot of calling with a .223 laying in my lap and a 12ga. in my hands. If they hang up you can set one down and slowly bring up the rifle. They'll usually hold still long enough.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is a really nasty post. here i sit on the other end of the country with my trigger finger itching, eyeballs watering and my tongue hanging out BOOM

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send me a plane ticket and I will gladly help you out!

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
One down.... Smiler

My hunting buddy ran 28" of carbon and sharp steel (from butt to chest) through one this morning. He was bowhunting deer, so no way he could carry a gun.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Closed reed calls are easiest to learn to use. Haydel makes a great call that has a wounded rabbit call on one end and a squeaker in the other, they are available @ Academy. As others have said, start out quietly and shoot straight. Smiler

Lots of good information available @:

Predator Masters

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to have good luck with a mouthheld diaphram turkey call that I would squeak like a dying rabbit. You have to watch the wind with them as a lot of times they circle all around you trying to get the wind.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive got an old ghetto blaster cassette tape player and recorded calls....i extended the speaker wires so that i can set the speakers about 30 yds away....that way i can always get down-wind, and move if i need to... i have a injured rabbit squealer, a recorded house-cat kitten crying "lost"... and a mouse squeaker....full menu to appease the hungry/curious coyote.... the mouse squeaker will make the 'yotes run over you when they start coming in....it's duct-taped to the forearm of my .225 win... so all i have to do is give it a squeeze, in case ive got 1 that won't move for a clear shot... i use a 20 ga skb o/u loaded with 20 pellets of #3 buck for close in... like less than 30 yds... depending on day or night, it's either my .225 with an old weaver k12... or my 25-06 with a tasco 2.5-10....when i really get some scaredy-shot-wise 'yotes, i drag out my .300 win mag...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2830 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed I would just go sit in those treestands after deer season since you are seeing that many. No sense to educate them. I would start calling after I wasn't able to easily spot them. If you have a local that is a known good coyote hunter I'd offer to let him come on the property I'm sure he'll be glad to assist you. He'd probably be willing to give you some real good advise and assistance in improving your coyote hunting skills.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Golden
posted Hide Post
take a baby lamb (one still on the tit) they make a lot of noise wanting their momma. drive a good sized stake in the ground in an open area, put the lamb on a length of rope. you will need several shooter to keep the coyotes from killing the lamb cause they will keep up the attack usually until all gone.

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nate,

You can certainly call them and the best is an electronic caller, get downwind from the caller as far as you can see & shoot. If you run a constant sound, they will stop moving for a moment when you turn off the sound. You will educate some, there is no way around it.

If you have any dead cattle, move them to a place where the coyotes cannot see your truck approach and you can sneak in. Get an undectable location from which to shoot. Use some kind of steady rest, the idea is to educate them to lay flat not run away. In the event no dead cattle are avaiable, you can use scraps from a meat market or restaurant. It is best to freeze them in a block and keep putting them out.

Howling takes a lot of patience and is often successful. Most people don't have the patience to howl and then just sit for a physical response.

If you use a mouth call, make sure you have someone watching downwind for those that circle. More will circle then charge directly to the call. Watch birds, the ravens & hawks will circle over a critter and give you an idea of where they are. You will often see the bird circle to downwind sometimes as far as 4-600 yards then just fly off. That will be because the critter smelled you and called off the game and not because the bird didn't like the smell.

It doesn't hurt to use some kind of smell to help hold them. A bobcat will follow the smell in but it normally just stops the coyote when he gets a snoot full. That is good since a moving coyote is not a percentage shot. Sardines, clams, guts, trapping scent, and dead animals like road kill can work.

Finally, a shotgun is great in heavy cover. I have killed plenty using a 10 or 12 with 4 buck or BB. Some situations call for bringing out a rifle and shotgun. The problem is that you will get busted by moving.

Successful hunting means learning. Have fun.

JB

Posts: 33 | Location: Dana Point, CA | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Buck:
Nate,

You can certainly call them and the best is an electronic caller, get downwind from the caller as far as you can see & shoot. If you run a constant sound, they will stop moving for a moment when you turn off the sound. You will educate some, there is no way around it.

If you have any dead cattle, move them to a place where the coyotes cannot see your truck approach and you can sneak in. Get an undectable location from which to shoot. Use some kind of steady rest, the idea is to educate

them to lay flat not run away. In the event no dead cattle are avaiable, you can use scraps from a meat market or restaurant. It is best to freeze them in a block and keep putting them out.

Howling takes a lot of patience and is often successful. Most people don't have the patience to howl and then just sit for a physical response.

If you use a mouth call, make sure you have someone watching downwind for those that circle. More will circle then charge directly to the call. Watch birds, the ravens & hawks will circle over a critter and give you an idea of where they are. You will often see the bird circle to downwind sometimes as far as 4-600 yards then just fly off. That will be because the critter smelled you and called off the game and not because the bird didn't like the smell.

It doesn't hurt to use some kind of smell to help hold them. A bobcat will follow the smell in but it normally just stops the coyote when he gets a snoot full. That is good since a moving coyote is not a percentage shot. Sardines, clams, guts, trapping scent, and dead animals like road kill can work.

Finally, a shotgun is great in heavy cover. I have killed plenty using a 10 or 12 with 4 buck or BB. Some situations call for bringing out a rifle and shotgun. The problem is that you will get busted by moving.

Successful hunting means learning. Have fun.

JB

Thanks for the advice! I don't care for the E-callers, they don't sound right.

I'm not sure why, but it seems I've been taken as a novice. Eeker I've actually been calling for about 27 years. I have some pretty strong opinions, and if it weren't for my poor typing and spelling I'd probably get to long winded for most. My Dad even wrote a book on calling. I don't recall how many were printed, but it wasn't picked up by a publisher.

Here are a couple of pictures of my new students! jumping

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kill one of the bastards however you can and hang the dead yote on the fence. The others will move to your neighbors.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigduke
posted Hide Post
easiest way is to get a foxpro electronic call that will get them in really qu BOOM homer

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 103 | Location: georgia | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Check to see what is a legal firearm to be in the woods hunting them to start

Now, I'm going to offer different advice than all I have read.
Go out, DO NOT CALL, shoot as many as you can from stands around your hunting area (6 fom one location indicates there may be many out there).

When the kill drops off, then start callng and use as mayn different calls as you can in different locations.

Heck it is just my opinion and we all know about opinions!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Nate-way too cool of a pic thanks for sharing!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if they are legal I would hang a bunch of snares. 24 hour silent sentries that are very very effective if you know what you are doing with them.

Picture of Jon H.
posted Hide Post
My dad started me on calling when I was about 8 or 9. I still go when I get the chance. I'm pushin' 40 now.
I use a Circe jackrabbit hand call and a person to 'get my back' if you will. A 12 ga. and a .222 bolt work for me. Let them get close a s possible ans use the 12, then if you miss (heaven forbid!, you can get them on the way out with the rifle.
Also, something I haven't seen mentioned, if you drop one, keep calling. We have them run right in and steal our quail during season, so most aren't 'afraid' of gunfire, just the noise. UNTIL... they catch on. Just don't let any get away, I swear they have a telegraph system or something, cause if one gets away, the word spreads FAST!
Jon H

if it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer

Posts: 14 | Location: somewhere in Arizona.... | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear, big ed
I hunt cyotes almost every other day i have called with a mouth call for many years but last year i bought a johney stuart digital caller and have had great luck with the thing i still take a mouth call with me for when the dogs hang up about 400 yds out i will turn off the caller and either kiss the back of my hand to get a squeeking noise or i will use the mouth caller to get them in closer the digital caller also has a crow call that i have had great luck with and. P.s. like many of the other guys send me a plane ticket and i will bring the rest.

"Speed is the key."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
big ed one of the neibors ranch manager is up to 80 yotes this year ,, we, south of san antonio, have been spotting more than usual with lots of young pups around,,, me personally am blaming half of my quail population loss on the yotes and the rest on the drought,,, kill a few and hang them on your fence to amaze the neibors

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Where at in Texas are you?

I have been looking for a place to shoot a coyote or so!!

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote