New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .20 cal?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The .204 is based on the 222MAGNUM case not the 222! The case capacity of the .204 is equal to or exceeds the 20Tactical. Brass for the .204 can be made from 222MAG brass and commercial dies are readily available.....RCBS and HORNADY for sure and probably others by now. RCBS Neck dies are also available at standard die prices. Varget, H4895, BL-C2, AA2230, and IMR 4198 are the powders being used by a lot of folks in the .204......same as the other members of the 222 family of cases. Good luck with your choice. GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 20 Tactical did get picked up by a manufacturer, Dakota. Don't expect any cheap ammo soon.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
All,

Thanks for the info. This obviously has cleared up
some misunderstandings I had of the 204, and the Tac 20.
So now I am going to have to talk to Santa, and see if
he has a 204 Ruger caliber rifle in his sack with my
name on it

Squeeze

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out saubier.com forum for additional info.; lots of 20 cal shooters there.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
The latest issue of Small Caliber News compares the 204 & Tac 20 in real situations, not just specs on paper. In that article (I haven't read it yet) the Tac 20 shows an edge over the 204. I would have guess it would be the other way around, but I guess I'm wrong.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
squeeze-- I am rather biased on which .204 caliber to choose because I have experience with the .204 Ruger in a Savage 12VLP and no experience with any other caliber. However, after doing a lot of reading, I think the most efficient .204 caliber cartridge may well be the Tactical 20 which is based on the .223 casing. It is probably a little bit more work to form and fire form the casings, but you have some EXCELLENT .223 brass suppliers out there--something that is NOT true for the .204 Ruger!!!

I still like the .204 Ruger, but if, back in June of 2004, I knew what I know now, I probably would have had a custom built Tactical 20 made. That still is an option for the future unless some other hot .204 caliber comes down the pike!

The Tactical 20 does not have a larger case capacity than the .204 Ruger. I think the .204 Ruger has a tad over a grain more powder capacity than the Tactical 20. However, the Tactical 20 gets a little more speed with a little less powder. I don't have any guesses about maximum speeds when comparing the two calibers with the same bullet.

Other posters have answered your questions about dies, and the last time I looked the Tactical 20 dies may be a bit pricier than the .204 Ruger dies, but with the quality brass out there for the Tactical 20, I wouldn't even give the cost of the dies a second thought.

With a good supply of .223 brass like you said you have, the Tactical 20 may be the choice for you.

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
All,

You all are no help . First GHD had me swung to
the 204 Ruger side of the decision, and now Montdoug,
and SF, have me leaning towards the Tac 20. I guess I
need to start doing some research, and see if I can
find my winner in this close race. I do need to find
what the cost of going the Tac 20 route might be, for
either a Dakota rifle, or a custom rifle. Since I
don't have an immediate need for one, I can let the
new rifle slush fund grow

Squeeze

P.S Thanks again for the replies, contrary to my
tongue-in-cheek comment, this info is helping.

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote