Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Shoot AR's On Here?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
I'm thinking I need to add one of the evil Black Rifles to my safe. I'm looking at the Bushmaster Predator as I will use the gun to hunt yotes & bobcats. Anyone have any thoughts on the gun or can recommend any others I should be looking at to get the most bang for the buck.

Thanks,
Shawn

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
After my first trip for Pdogs I realized that for the very most fun, that evil Black Rifle would be the very best choice for that sport. The best of the best is the Colt Accurized Rifle, 24" 1 in 9 twist, A3, special trigger and freefloat aluminum handguard.

Check it out!

http://www.colt.com/law/car.asp

Accuracy is better than you can hold, and yes you are on the right track!

Good shooting

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Have been looking at this one, myself. Have a 10/22 by Clark that is a tackdriver.

Click on link for home page, then click on the AR in upper right hand corner.

Clark's Custom Guns

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a cav arms lower that I'd like to put a flat top on just haven't got around to it yet. I have 2 Armalite National Match rifles that I really like.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I really like the look of the Clark in the below link.
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/gatorarV.htm

Also I looked at Colt but did not really want the 24 inch barrel. Bushmaster Maskes a Varmiter model that is close to the Colt with 24 inch barrel, but I liked the 20 inch of the Bushmaster Predator (little lighter & faster to handle).

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the long range sniping the varmints.

I also like to walk amoung the varmints and make fast off hand shots with the semi auto 10/22.

The AR15 can do both.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My daughters love them

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I have a Rock River Arms AR with a varnmit upper. I love it! Great shooting gun, and shoots under an MOA. Not bad pricing either.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
I love a bolt gun and use it for all of my hunting, except varmints. For that, I put this little gem together:

Despite the fanciness, this is a HUNTING rifle and will be my varmint rig. It was mainly built for calling coyotes and for getting
out of the truck window quickly for runnin’ dogs. Hopefully not too many follow-up shots will be necessary, but it's
nice to know they’re there if you need ‘em quickly.

I don't want to hijack your thread, so more details can be found from my original post about a year ago:

Original Post

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Go to UPPER and then to LOWERS.

That should do the trick for around $695.

---Mike

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the help, I was about sold on the Bushmaster Predator but now ya'll have me rethinking it. Smiler

I really like the "auto" selector, I might have to look into that Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bushmaster Predator would be a fine rifle & a little better for calling yotes than my rifle,
but I wanted more wt., more of a Varmit or precision number & I am big enough to carry it all day anyway. I bought a RRA Varmiter with the 24" bull & it is a shooting machine.

www.rockriverarms.com

Posts: 73 | Location: Pocahontas, AR | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
RRAs are good, but they cost about $250-400 more than the choices I gave (the lower IS a RRA with a 2-staqe NM trigger). Model 1 Sales has 24" or 16" uppers for the same price if you are so inclined.

A friend has a 16" from Model 1 Sales and it is a real tack driver. He has the Eagle Firearms RRA lower with the RRA NM trigger. This is an out of the box rifle and it shoots in the .3's with hand loads. All for about $700.

With the EXTRA $300+/- you save over a RRA, you can "upgrade" your scope choice.
An $800 scope becomes a $1100 scope, etc.

Just a thought.

Model 1 Sales

Eagle Firearms Lowers

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a good buy, I wonder if they have one in
204 with a 1-11 or 1-10 twist to shoot the 40's?

I just sent them an E-mail about this & thanks again.

Posts: 73 | Location: Pocahontas, AR | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A 204 with a faster twist would be a hoot wouldent it ? I have a RRA with 24" barrel with a B L 4000 6x24 .1 in 8 twist that loves 60 gr Sierra's.I cant imagine how much fun a .204 would be.I to would want to use at least 40 gr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built an AR with a kit from model 1 myself. Built it on a Mega brand lower. Used their 20 inch Hbar barrel and full float handguard not the heavy bull barrel. Put a RRA two stage match trigger on it and if PA. allowed semis to hunt with it would be my varmint rig.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jacobite, I have heard about this stupid rule but I thought they only restricted Big Game rifles, you mean Varmit Rifles too!!!

Are they afraid you might kill 2 Coyotes crossing a field instead of one? Do they keep a flag at the State Capital with a hammer & sickle
on it? I guess too many people live in Philly &
Pittsburg.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No semi auto rifles or pistols for hunting and semi shotguns for small game only. No semi shotgun if used for deer. No Sunday hunting either.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rod Smith:
That is a good buy, I wonder if they have one in
204 with a 1-11 or 1-10 twist to shoot the 40's?

I just sent them an E-mail about this & thanks again.
Rod, you are welcome and it is a very good buy.
If Model 1 has a varmint upper in 204 I'm not sure, but if there is enough interest, who knows?

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do have Varmit 204 Uppers for $450.00 with
Fluting avail. for $50.00.

Ooops

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I shot a friend's Bushmaster Predator during a PD shoot two years ago. Awesome rifle, tons of fun. Followup shots on walkers/runners was the most fun. Do it!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rod Smith:
They do have Varmit 204 Uppers for $450.00 with
Fluting avail. for $50.00.

Ooops

I'm looking on Model 1's site, where do they list uppers in 204?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, I don't know where it is listed, but I
have been e-mailing them.

They just e-mailed me & told me they have the
204 in a 1-10 TWIST !!!!!!!!!

I must sell my 22-250.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rod, I guess I'll have to call them. Dang, this is getting to be an expensive hobby.

Frank

posted Hide Post
I've got a DPMS with the 20" SS bull barrel and a 6x45 with 16" heavy or at least thats what they called it when I bought, upper. Use the 6x45 on running deer, got four bucks with it in front of the dogs last year, shooting the 85 grain Sierra BTHP, love that bullet.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rod.

---Mike

PS don't sell you 22-250. It has it's purposes...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flippy, it is true that the 22-250 is useful, but for me it is a limited use. I have a 25-06AI on the high end of a Varmit rifle, & with the 125 Wildcat ULD, it will outdo a 22-250 bad at long range & in the wind & this is very low volume shooting where I live, so using the Sendero for this is no problem.
For PD & high volume shooting the 223 & 204 are better & for me targets as well.
I guess for a man with one rifle & he wanted energy for long range Coyotes & wanted a little more wind bucking than the 223/204 & if he would be careful to let the barrel cool at a PD town, then the 22-250 is a great all around Varmiter. However, since I have both the low end
high volume/target & the high end low volume, high impact energy, windy conditions rifle
spectrums covered, I am not sure I will use this new rifle much. I used a Swift many years ago with great results & I used 2 diff. 22-250's with great effect also, but now my need for it seems limited. I have a New Rem. 700 VS that at this point is unfired, I need to decide soon & if I don't sell it, then I will start shooting it hard with an eye on screwing on a 260 or 308 heavy fluted barrel on it later.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Rod, that makes sense to me. Having several .223s as well as a few lesser cartridges and a very accurate 6mm Remington, I see no real NEED for a good 22-250.

My next rifle will be a .204 and then I will probably succomb to my desire for a good 22-250 and buy one.
Unless something else catches my eye that is... Wink

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Dang, this is getting to be an expensive hobby.
Frank, I have a friend that runs quads.
He currently has 6-7 of them.

Every year or two he buys TWO new ones (the latest technology, of course) and sells the oldest two or three (sometime he picks up a clean used one to resell), all of which have been "tricked out" with every carbon fiber/titanium/race spec/rocket science engine and suspesion gee-gaw you can imagine and some you can't.
In case you haven't done the math, these things REALLY depreciate over time, you never get the money out of them you put into them.

Add his "custom built" enclosed trailer (with bunks for 6 and a very small "cooking area") to haul all of this crap; 5-6 sets of extra tires mounted on wheels, gas, spare parts, etc. etc.
Plus the quad cab diesel dually to haul the trailer.

He must have $80-90K invested in his "hobby" at least.
While I will admit they are fun to ride, give me a freakin break.

Now THAT'S an expensive hobby... Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, every hobby has the fanatics, I just didn't think that I would be one of them!

One neighbor has a private airplane, the other races drag boat. There's just no hope for us.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
There's just no hope for us.
Yep. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought a KelTec SU16C and used it last year. I normally take 1-2 of my young kids and sometimes in rugged country. The folding stock and light weight made it much easier to carry out kids and yote. Mine has the 16" barrel and true folding stock which is not as stiff as my other guns, but got used to it. Only loaded up one load using the Speer 52HP (fastest powders best w/short barrel, settled on IMR3031 that I already had) and it shot MOA without any tweaking so I should be able to improve on it this year (will also play with the 40VMax). Not sure what they are going for now, but @ $475 that I paid new I have been happy so far (hope to hunt much more with it this winter).

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are some locals in this area who use their ar's for pigs out near tatertown,ca.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Bushmaster 24" Vaminter and a Colt #6724. That said, if I was starting over, I would get a RRA 20" Varminter!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You guys are so lucky! I wish our government "trusted" us with these perfectly legitimate sporting rifles!

Posts: 32 | Location: NSW, Australia | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With Quote