New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Old Days...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was enjoying looking thru a book written in 1946 by Charles Landis titled "Twenty-Two Caliber Varmint Rifles" this afternoon.

It is amazing the number of gunsmiths each with their own wildcat and local following.

Names Like the Marciante and his Marciante Blue Streak, Newton and his .22/4000, and Sedgley-Scheering and their .220 Arrow. Lindahl had twelve (!) different .22 caliber wildcats on the 219 Zipper alone. Ackley was training gunsmiths in Colorado, and back at Lyman, Lisle Kilbourne was doing weird things to the taper and shoulder angle on the 22 Hornet.

Most of them were recommending against non-corrosive primers because they raised pressures "dangerously high". He talks about reloading primers during the war. That's scary.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the book, it does have some interesting information and some of the differences/similarities between then and now are fun to compare.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder where in the world you could find a copy of that book, I love the old reads!

Posts: 129 | Location: SW GA | Registered: 01 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Safari Press or Rifle Magazine

Just checked, Amazon has reprints for sale paperback or hard cover

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote