New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic predator callers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Posted elsewhere on the site but thought I'd also give it a try here seeing as its more your kinda subject matter.

I've never managed to master the art of squeaking foxes using the palm of my hand. Inevitably I run out of spit, wind, or both, and end up making an noise closer to a fart than a rabbit in distress.

I've tried various branded calls and squeakers with differing degrees of success, ranging for abject failure to mild interest on a good night.

There is now a wide range of electronic calls available ranging in price from as little a £25 up to a staggering £459.

Who's got what, how good is it, would you buy something different if you were buying again. Does it work equally well for different species.

Well you know the sort of thing. Ta!

Off to take a look around Predator Masters having read the earlier post. homer

Never mistake motion for action.
- Ernest Hemingway

Against stupidity the very gods Themselves contend in vain.

Posts: 76 | Location: England | Registered: 22 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I have a FoxPro FX3. Below are some of my thoughts about it. I use it for coyote and fox hunting and have good results with both. There are a few things to keep in mind - electronic callers are not miracle makers - they won't call in game that isn't there, they aren't a substitute for scent control and a good stand location. Plenty of hunters have done well with mouth calls. They are certainly convenient, allow you to put the sound way upwind of your location and give you a little more leeway in movement as your quarry approaches. Predator Masters probably has plenty of additional informational posts as well. As with almost anything, you usually get what you pay for. There isn't really a whole lot to "wear out" on the solid state calls, so you may be able to find a used one at a better price.

Sounds: Stores 32. This is more than enough for any hunt I can think of. You can have a library of hundreds on a computer and easily swap them onto the unit. Calls that store hundreds of sounds might be convenient, but not necessary.

Volume: Plenty loud enough for even thick woods.

Battery life: runs on 8 AA batteries, that last a long time. Low battery indicator give some warning.

Range: I had a problem with mine originally, sent it back and I've tested it at 150 yards with no problem. Probably good for quite a distance more with clear line of sight.

Remote control: The FX3 remote is pretty "old school", but works fine. No "favorites" button, the sounds are only numbered and scrolling takes a moment. I like the new FoxPro remote much better.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of a guy that set up his expensive caller and took his stand with his varmint rifle. A bear came in and would not give up on the idea that there was something there to eat until he demolished the whole unit.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent results with the Foxpro FX3. Its a quality unit that will last a long time.
Its deadly on fox. I've taken a number of triples. My best stand I called in six fox in 37 minutes, shot four.
Works on bobcat and coyotes too.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go over to predator masters.com - there are pages of discussions on them

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

So the Fox Pro FX3 seem to be the one to look at.

I'm been over to Predator Masters, It takes time to read back through the postings to make sure you haven't missed some major revelation, but I'll get thru it all eventually.

This calling business is obviously taken far more seriously over your side of the pond than it is here in the UK. As it's mostly concerned with calling lamped foxes here and nowt else.

Thanks for the in put. I'll report back . Cheers Tom

Posts: 76 | Location: England | Registered: 22 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can make your own. It's easy and costs less than $100. The Foxpro is around $500.

http://www.varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I have called with most of the major e-callers on the market currently. I personally think the "best bang for the buck", or pound as it may be, is the new FOXPRO Spitfire at $200 US. You get to pick the 24 sounds and can change them yourself later. AP at All Predator Calls carries them and will load the sounds for you:

APC Link-Click Here

Good Hunting,

Bob

The All New FOXPRO Spitfire features a high efficiency horn speaker with powerful amplifier. Includes 24 high Quality FOXPRO Calls - YOU Pick them—WE Load them! User reprogrammable. The Spitfire is designed to play fxp and mp3 audio files for superb audio quality. It also comes standard with FOXPRO's TX-24 remote control--one of the industry's best remote controls. Features include A full LCD control which displays the name of the sound, the ability to instantly change to any of the 24 sounds programmed on the unit, volume “Up” and “Down” controls for ultra smooth transition in volume changes, volume level indicator, low battery indicator, a Pause/Mute feature, volume indicator, & Aux control for the ability to remotely control FOXPRO's Jack-in-the-Box decoy

Key Features Listing:

Single high-efficiency horn speaker (includes external speaker jack for additional speaker if desired)
Auxiliary Jack (to connect to a devise such as the Jack-in-the-Box Decoy or Mr Mister scent mister system)
Includes 24 Calls of your choice (PICK YOUR SOUNDS HERE)
User Reprogrammable. Plays .FXP and MP3 audio files
Operates on 4 "AA" batteries. Features low battery indicator
Compact Design Size: Just 1.5 lbs with batteries installed. Approx size . Length: 7 inches x Width: 4 inches x Height: 5 inches.
Key TX24 Remote Features:

Large LCD Panel. Displays the name of the sound
Send button to activate desired sound. Sound Up/Down buttons, Volume Up/Down buttons, Volume level indictor, Low battery indicator, Mute button
Remote Control operates on one 9- Volt battery
The Spitfire is Made In USA!

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Though not the authority that Bob is, I have found that it sure makes the job/adventure easier when you have good equipment and the right tool for the job. I paid full price for the FX3 when it first came out. I had used cheap equipment before and corded callers. My stand/kill ration went up immediately. I don't regret the purchase price one bit, since the call worked as advertised. I purchased my rig at Allpredatorcalls.com also and found them to be extremely knowledgeable, and helpful. I had my caller, programmed with 32 calls in less than a week.

Also talk about a ball. Sneak into a bunk room with your caller and place it where it won't be stomped,then turn on both speakers and turn the volume all the way up. Then back out and hit the remote for the "Mountain lion in heat" call. Talk about gettin' guys out of bed. Just make sure their guns are unloaded, a fellow could get shot.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've sure been looking at the spitfire. Could you tell me what advantages the fx3 has over the spitfire?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Log on to allpredatorcalls.com, or give them a call. They would best be able to answer your questions.
GWB

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
You can make your own. It's easy and costs less than $100. The Foxpro is around $500.

. Hey rc thanks for the link !!!! Al sure is doing some good work with his 243 .

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Being severly electronicly challenged , Spelling challenged also ,or couldn,t you tell . rotflmo . I think I will go with the spitfire ... I need to go thru their calls tho as ones that I need are moose calf distress , Great Horned owl . And lots of snow shoe hare ..........

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Foxpro!!!

Like Geedubya said, they are lethal on foxes and will significantly improve your success on varmints.

I didn't have much experience calling predators before I bought my Foxpro so trust me; if it works for me then it'll probably work for you!!!

It also works great at Halloween and will scare the crap out of any 8 year old standing on your porch. Hilarious!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.... I thot my cat left tracks on my legs last night . I was watching Varmint Al's site and clicked on the speaker . He had a warning that it would get the attention of pets ... Boy howdy , the first scream came out of the speakers on the lap top and my 10 lb cat who was sleeping on my lap ( litterly underneath the puter ) he likes the heat it makes,. Put out the hooks and rocketed out from under that dying jack rabbit........ The dogs came running in the room , almost had a dog/cat fight ...........The fact that they were all sleeping like a rock before I clicked on the speaker didn,t help .. animal.

Thats a good idea for trick or treat .... rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:

. Hey rc thanks for the link !!!! Al sure is doing some good work with his 243 .

No problem!

Varmint Al and his site have helped me emmensely both for reloading and coyote calling.

I built, or better yet said, simply put together the components for the homemade ecaller as per his instructions. If I can do it, anyone can!

Again, as per his recommendation, I downloaded Audacity the free sound manipulation program and have created my own calling sequences from with his and other's sounds. It works. I also built the "Hammock Decoy" from his site. It works. I once had a coyote actually attack the decoy and knock it down before I shot it!

Don't be afraid to try! It's easier than you think and really gratifying to see it work for you in the field!

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
I have recorded or downloaded calls. I burn them to a CD and use my sons old Boom box. Works well.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
I have called with most of the major e-callers on the market currently. I personally think the "best bang for the buck", or pound as it may be, is the new FOXPRO Spitfire at $200 US. You get to pick the 24 sounds and can change them yourself later. AP at All Predator Calls carries them and will load the sounds for you:

APC Link-Click Here

Good Hunting,

Bob

The All New FOXPRO Spitfire features a high efficiency horn speaker with powerful amplifier. Includes 24 high Quality FOXPRO Calls - YOU Pick them—WE Load them! User reprogrammable. The Spitfire is designed to play fxp and mp3 audio files for superb audio quality. It also comes standard with FOXPRO's TX-24 remote control--one of the industry's best remote controls. Features include A full LCD control which displays the name of the sound, the ability to instantly change to any of the 24 sounds programmed on the unit, volume “Up” and “Down” controls for ultra smooth transition in volume changes, volume level indicator, low battery indicator, a Pause/Mute feature, volume indicator, & Aux control for the ability to remotely control FOXPRO's Jack-in-the-Box decoy

Key Features Listing:

Single high-efficiency horn speaker (includes external speaker jack for additional speaker if desired)
Auxiliary Jack (to connect to a devise such as the Jack-in-the-Box Decoy or Mr Mister scent mister system)
Compact Design Size: Just 1.5 lbs with batteries installed. Approx size . Length: 7 inches x Width: 4 inches x Height: 5 inches.

Send button to activate desired sound. Sound Up/Down buttons, Volume Up/Down buttons, Volume level indictor, Low battery indicator, Mute button

On Bob's recommendation, I ordered a Spitfire today from AllPredatorCalls.com
I dealt with Eric, who, in my opinion has a real good grip on Varmint calling.
Can't wait. Thanks Bob.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Me 2!!!

Posts: 2688 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I will look forward to some photos of y'all with critters in them........

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
What do you use for a decoy when coyote calling?

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:

APC Link-Click Here

Good Hunting,

Bob

Key Features Listing:

Bob,

Thanks for the posting about the Spitfire.
Currently have a Minaska that calls in Coyotes, so I'm fixed for now. But, I can see a space for the Spitfire at my house.
I appreciate your words. tu2

Don

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
I just picked up an XR6 from Foxpro's website on closeout for 195$. It was $00 new last year. cant wait to try it out. I plan on using it for yotes and hogs. It came with long range remote.

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
When it comes to e-callers, Bob is the man...

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
stepchild2,

I use either the Burnham Bros. Stick Tease or the Predator Sniper Feather Dancer. They are both basically sticks with turkey feathers on them. No batteries, light weight, no muss, no fuss.......

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Thanks for the reply. There's something to be said about simplicity.

As the saying goes... a dollar short and a day late... well they both apply here, I ordered a Jack in the box yesterday, should be here friday.
Take Care.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob, Do you think a car antenna would work with a Feather tied to it?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Sure.......just hit it with some Krylon OD green, tan, or brown.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
When it comes to e-callers, Bob is the man...

Amen!! tu2

I read every posting Bob makes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got lucky and got a Foxpro Scorpion for $400 from Allpredatorcalls.com
If you can swing it, I would recommend it instead of the others. The remote has the calls in type instead of numbers to memorize. And the Scorpion is small enough to put in a large coat pocket. You can also plug in a larger external speaker if more volume is needed and has (I believe) one hundred sounds on it, which makes it nice for one who might travel the country for different types of hunts, if legal of course.

Bob in TX, I tried the turkey feather thing on my lease in Webb county. I am not sure if it was the feather or possibly the scent from the caller, but I have had several coyotes come blasing in and do an abrupt U-turn and run out. The breese was blowing pretty good each time. The feather swaying might have been too much. I have seen some stuffed Opossums at Cracker Barrel restaraunts. I thought many times about getting one of those and setting it out by the call.

FYI, the Scorpion works so good that I have had Hawks, Mexican eagles (Kara Karas), and Bobcats actually cruise in and try to grab it.

P.S. I don't shoot any of the above except coyotes (and only a Bobcat to mount.)

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rae59,
The FoxPro Spitfire has all the features that you mentioned...it only holds 24 calls but that's plenty for me. The remote displays words, not numbers. YMMV.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you have made up your mind or not so I will offer a bit more intel
I have been using a Minaska Bandit for about 5-6 years now never a problem with the unit 100 sounds so definitely have a variety

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
white eagle,
If your post was intended for me, I already bought a Spitfire/Jack in the box. Thanks for the advise, though.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to try electronic calling on a REAL budget, here is what I did. I call it the $15 caller. I simply purchased a yard sale, ghetto blaster (combo CD/cassette player). It is both AC and battery operated- for calling batteries are used. I went to varmintal's web site and downloaded the various free audio files, then transferred them to a CD (I also made a cassette tape back up but not necessary). The thing works! I do not use any external speakers- these things are not called ghetto blasters for nothing. If you want to try electronic calling on a REAL budget, give this a try. You might even be able to find a yard sale blaster cheaper than $15 !

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
I'm cheap, made my own. Took an old portable cd player hooked it to a 9volt amplifier from radio shack and ran that to a small megaphone style radio shack speaker and you got your electronic caller works great. Just made a bunch of cd's with sounds i downloaded off the internet.

3-7-77