THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Blue Dot Range Report, 223 Rem, 30 GR Berger HP Varmint

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot Range Report, 223 Rem, 30 GR Berger HP Varmint
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
223 Range Report

Powder: Blue Dot

Bullet: Berger 30 grain HP, Varmint

Rifle Used: Ruger 77 VT

Barrel Length: 26 inches

Primer Used: Winchester Small Rifle

Bullet O.A.L. : 15.55 mms

Cartridge O.A.L. : 57.93 mms

10 grs: 2844 fps

11 grs: 3082 fps

12 grs: 3210 fps

13 grs: 3407 fps

14 grs: 3712 fps

15 grs: 3797 fps

15.5 grs: 3814 fps

16 grs: 3873 fps

16.5 grs: 3957 fps.

Accuracy Potential:
Load of 15 grains of Blue Dot, 30 gr Berger, WSR primer:
5 shot group size@ 100 yds: 0.4260 –0.224 bullet diameter = 0.202 group size
Scope: 6.5 x 20 Simmons.. setting at 10 Power.

As always, work up your loads especially when approaching maximum...I considered 15 grains fine for most of my uses...

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire. nice testing. I have'nt got around to the BlueDot 221FB loads yet. The brass is sized and ready though.

I can say I'm pretty well pleased with the accuracy the little Bergers are capable of. Even in 1-9 twist Savage and AR15 223 barrels they've shot very well for me. There not the cheapest bullet though they seem very uniform and quite capable of shooting better than I can hold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good information. Thanks. I bought a pound of Blue Dot and sized 50 cases this afternoon. They are in the tumbler right now, I will probably load some tomorrow. I am going to try your 10 grain load. I am looking for something quite in my .223. I am shooting a RR Varmint-I doubt if the load will cycle the rifle, but that is no big deal. Thanks again for the information-it looks like first class work. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HEAD0001. BlueDot loads would'nt quite cycle in my AR's. They'd eject but not move the bolt back far enough to strip the next round out of the mag.

I noticed a couple years back a fella on another board set up a special barrel and bolt carrier for his AR and BlueDot loads. He ran a real short pistol gas tube with the port close to the chamber on a 16 inch barrel and a aluminum bolt carrier he said he bought from JP Enterprises. I can't recall how light the loads were but they were down there and he said it worked the action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A guy here in my town does work on ARs that can change the cycling rate for lighter or stouter loads...

www.noveskerifleworks.com

cheers
seafire
fishing

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those BD loads. Am getting ready to run a series with a 222R/50 grain bullet and BD in a CZ. BTW 11 grains of BD with a wsr primer and a 55 grain VE shoots very well in my 16" RRA but does not cycle the action at all. Thats OK!

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire. You have one of the top guys there for a local Smith. I always see his name brought up with top quality rifles and work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire this load really sounds wild . Its interesting that you are using a pistol powder that wont fill the case more than 2 thirds. Im sure you have never had any problems or you would have told us . I would like to try 40 gr Sierra hollowpoints have you ever tried them? How fast do you think I can push them?

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The key to understand, is that Blue Dot is not about velocity... it gives pretty decent velocity with lighter bullets in the 223...

however, it is not intended to make a 22.250 out of the 223 case...

the MAX load with a 40 grain bullet is 14.5 grains in my book... some have pushed it further, but I don't recommend it...

if you try it, work you load up to make sure it is safe in your rifle..

it is also meant for bolt actions, not ARs...

out of a 26 inch barrel, with 14.5 grains of Blue Dot and using Winchester pistol primers.. I get an MV of about 3250 fps...

The KEY is work up!!!and seat a bullet after charging each case individually so that you don't inadvertently double charge a case...

ALSO use NO filler.. as it will only increase pressures..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my .223, the 33 gr Vmax will do 3550 fps with 15 gr Blue Dot.
Best group out of ten groups: 0.46" 5shot group @ 100yards

I can also get 4100 fps with 18 gr, but that is not practical.

No way any charge of that powder and that bullet can cycle my AR15s.

It is strictly a manual action rifle load.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be working up some loads for my .22BR in a 12" Encore barrel very soon with BD. I hope to reduce the muzzle blast because of the faster burning powder and half the amount. I'll keep you updated, the velocities with H322 and 4895 were a little disappointing, I don't think I'll be giving much up with Blue Dot.
Selmerfan