New
Find
Notify
Tools

A step above the 223
 Login/Join

<wesseler>
posted
My first and only p-dog trip was with a custom Encore in 223. I had lots of fun around 200yds with some scores out to 250. I am thinking of a second barrel, bull to possibly see hits. Something that will reach out a little farther, 3-400yds. I was thinking the 6br (and recieved some encouraging posts on the benchrest part of this forum) but after comparing the 223 and 6br on Point Blank software, ballistically, it doesn't seem the 6br has much over the 223. My other consideration was the 6remington but even with a bull barrel it may be a bit much for p-dog type shooting. Does it take a "barrel burner" for long range targets? Should I Ackley my 223, to improve it's range, and then go for the 6rem? Any idea's, suggestions? Many thanks, -John.

<DLS>
posted
You might want to try a 22-250 or 22 BR. Switch back and forth between the two rifles and let the barrels cool, Use the 223 for the closer shots.

[ 11-01-2002, 04:25: Message edited by: DLS ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the 223 AI cartridge and have used it on P-dogs with great success. As you know factory 223 ammo works just fine and one can reload a wide verity of powder/bullet combo's. We shoot the 223 AI a lot.

I also use 22-250 and 220 Swift, both are effective at longer ranges than a 223 or a 223 AI. Advantages of a 223 AI are efficience in powder consumption, recoil, noise, and heat produced.

Advantage of the faster calibers is effective range and flatter trajectory.

A fast bullet like a 50 grain Sierra BlitzKing from a 22-250 with a solid hit on a P-dog size varmint is a special experience.

For me the .244 cartidges offer too much recoil, wind is not a factor for us in western Colorado...most days.

Posts: 53 | Location: Grand Junction, CO USA | Registered: 13 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
A 308 is certianly not a barrel burner and it sees regular use as a 1000 yd round. The answer your looking for may simply be a little heavier bullet. A 6mm rem or 243 would be a good candidate and is not as prone to wind effect as a Swift, but its not as flat either. A 22-250 or a Swift will get you there but so will the 6mms, it just depends on what you want. Personally I think any of those other candidates would be better at reaching out far than a 223 AI.

Posts: 10139 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Add a second .223 , as was already said , to let one cool while you continue shooting . AI it if you wish . Get one of the fast twist barrels and experiment with some of the high BC match bullets for the longer shots . Mount a scope with excellent tracking such as a Weaver grand slam or a Sightron so you can dial in your windage and elevation for the longer shots .

I am a fan of sticking with .223 for prairie dogs simply because of the cost associated with the amount of brass you need to load enough ammo for a good trip ........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Wesseler, to answer your question, yes, you basically need a barrel burner to see any improvement, ballistically, over the 223. You gain about 50 yards with the 250, maybe 75 with the swift?

If you do step up, you either need to brake the rifle, or you won't see the shots. A 223 with heavy bullets is probably as good a 300-400 yard round as any...... JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote would be the .22 BR if you are trying to stay w/ the .224, but go to a .243 IMP if you want larger. VVC has some in their inventory (10% off normal prices).

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<tgwh>
posted
Another option is the 17 Rem. Will keep up with the 22-250 & 220 Swift out to 325 yrds +. Biggest advantage is 1/2 the recoil of .223, so no problems about seeing shots through your scope. 20 gr V Max at 4300 is possibly the most devastating varmint bullet yet. [Wink]
For longer rage work you could go for a fast twist barrel (1 in 6! ), and .17 cal 37 gr Bergers. These will buck wind better than 55 gr .224 cal projectiles, and are great fun.

<Pablo>
posted
Wes,
Using HPBT, or VLD's will extend the range of the 223 if you have been previously using 50/55 grain flatbase bullets, I/we commonly hit Ca. ground squirrels At 300+ using same, the wind is always a factor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6 BR is a great choice!!!!!!!
I have a buddy that kills dogs with his using 55Vmax bullets out to 638 yards.
I am in the process(waiting on the barrel now)of building one for myself.
I have a 22 BR and it also is a good choice,as both rounds are very accurate!
As long as you use a custom barrel you will be fine but stay away from the Fox Ridge barrels as they are not a Bullberry or Virgin Valley quilty!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ran across this http://www.sskindustries.com/cont_pics.html
 -
Richard H. Mathewson on 12 July 1999 got this prairie dog at 1115 yards with an SSK stainless 223, shooting the Hornady 75gr. A-MAX. On his seventh shot, the bullet entered the PD's open mouth and exited the hip.

Posts: 68 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
The 223 Ackley Improved will provide marginally better velocity, maybe a 10% increase. The real advantage is that this caliber shoots the standard .223 Rem. ammo just fine. The down side is that the AI takes some serious record keeping and load development.

I started a page to discuss the .223 AI because there's not much data published for it.

For much greater ranges without "over bore" capacity and burning out barrels, I think the answer is going to a larger caliber, like .243, 6mm, 6.5 Swede, or even a 30 cal.

Once the P Dog is blown to bits, he doesn't much care what he gets hit with. It's not like you're going to sell the pelt or cook the meat. I suppose that makes the 50 BMG a viable P Dog caliber. [Big Grin]