Find
Notify
Tools

Norma or Lapua brass??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 41rem
posted
Stocking-up on reloading components for my new 243. As this is my 1st target/varmint rifle, is the higher cost of this premium brass worth it in terms of extra reloads per case, and more accurate reloads?? Any users out there?

Posts: 54 | Location: Hurricane Ridge, Wa. | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some of both. It seems the norma is somewhat softer than the lapua for what that's worth. If your rifle is for varmints and some semi-serious paper punching, I don't think the higher expense is worth it compared to a well prepped domestic case. If you're doing some pretty serious target shooting, then I think the lapua is worthwhile at twice the cost but the norma is still outrageously priced in my opinion. Also, with the Lapua, I seem to have saved some case prep steps but I seem to need to do everything to the Norma cases that I did to Rem cases. This is somewhat an example of one but I am using Lapua brass in my .222 and .223 and Norma in my 22-250.

Rem/Win .243 $19.56

Lapua " $42.99

Norma " $63.53

Midway catalog prices

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that "out of the box" Lapua is the most consistant brass made- Norma is pretty good, but soft as mentioned.
I think that if you cull american made brass you can have the same results. Even if you throw 20% away the cost per piece is still less. So as I see it it boils down to if you want the best possible accuracy out of a buy, load, shoot the choice is Lapua. If you are going to weigh, sort, and prep- buy American. Personally for "paper" I will do the primer pockets, flash holes, load, shoot, and then trim. I then shoot in groups of 10, allowing the rifle to cool after 5- any shot that is a flier, the brass is put in the discard pile( I use this brass for barrel break in etc.)For Pd or hunting ammo, I load- go hunting, bring back the once fired brass, trim, deburr the flash hole, reload and hunt with it until I lose, or wear it out. I am presently working on a couple of coffee cans full of 223 LC brass originally purchased as loaded Black Hills ammo, it has been trimmed 2 times and is on its 12th reload and the necks are getting brittle and for the cost of new 223 this will be its last time. I don't feel that you need to match prep hunting brass- I would rather spend the time in the field hunting.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Lapua brass in 6.5x55 and .308Win. and think it's the best I've ever used. In firmness it seems ideal, easy to trim and bevel. It's long lasting also. Dimensionally my 6.5x55 Lapua brass varies a bit from American brass in head size a bit, but it still fits the chamber. I've been quite satisfied with their Scenar bullets as well. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote