THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    August pd hunt with lots of pics

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

August pd hunt with lots of pics
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted
My son and I went on an august pd hunt and had a great time. My son is one of those guys that you can spend many days with and never have an issue. On the way out there we went through some areas that had been burned the week before.

He was shooting my Savage 204 and my fathers custom 243 built on a Rem 600 action. He did very well with both. As I do, he turns the case mouth up in the box for the confirmed kills and the primer up for the the misses. He figured the results on the way home and shot just over 80%.

I took along my 300 Win mag pd gun to shoot some longer distances. I tried some Nosler 125 gr. BT across the crony (at home before we left) and got an avg of 3750 fps. I loaded up what I could and shot them. I found they were very accurate and the ballistics weren't that bad either. Once I got the gun on at 700 it shot very well and I scored almost 30% on dogs from 700 to 750 yds. When I got home I ran the ballistics through Mikes XBal program and the figures mirrored my scope adjustments closer than I would have imagined.

The second pic is of the back of the town that is about 800 yds away.

Nate made me post some of the pics of his kills. The following is his photo work.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome pics!!!!

clap

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
Great carnage pics!
Congrats on an awesome hunt....makes me want to go and shoot dogs today!

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Excellent report with great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I can never get enough PD blasting. Great photos! Nice looking equipment.
Will

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pictures I wish we had prairie dogs in Kentucky . Great rifle thanks for sharing your shots . Have a good one

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted Hide Post
thumb
Nice shoot'in and lotts of fun!

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
holycow
thats some great shooting and pictures
thats one beautiful 300 magnum
thanks 4 posting
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You two had a great time, for sure!!!
Excellent narrative and pix.

Thanks for the post.

Don

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report.

We are so dry here in Ca that nothing is moving. We went out Saturday and saw one jack rabbit in 1800 acres of dry land. All the ground squirrels go into mini-hibernation here in late summer. It rained a couple of times in the last two though so here's hoping for n early wet winter. That was the first rain that we've got since March. From July 1, 2006 to July 1, 2007 we only got 2.6" of rain.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments.

My august shoots have been some real poor ones on the average. Shot up towns, heat, etc. But this one was very good. In the mornings we were able to keep two guns apiece warm, and the weather cooperated. With the fires and plague added to the "mix" I was very surprised and pleased at the outcome.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote