New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Mini 14 Target
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone shot one? I have been looking at this as a coyote rifle. Juts held one at Rileys in NH yesterday and I am likeing it for reliable, accurate, fast shootin gun in the woods.

Posts: 132 | Location: MA | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
A high scoped mini is very effective gun as you assessed. But mine was only accurate with hand loads - 1 1/4 MOA being the expected norm but I could squeeze 1 MOA out of it. It was hopeless with any factory loads I tried, getting 3 MOA. Apparently, this was normal for them. I see Ruger do advertise a guaranteed 1 MOA mini now.

I loved my mini-14. Short, light, quick, handy and accurate in my hands and very reliable. And I liked the trigger guard safety arrangement on it. I polished the trigger sear making it real smooth and crisp.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This Target model is pretty differant than is older brother. All test reports are getting MOA and you can tune it to the ammo you buy. I just want to find the best price I can on one. $750 seems to be about norm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have for years and so have many others wished that Ruger would clean up the Mini 14 and accurize it, but the latest offering is not going to do the job. Talk about heavy!! Can't see it in any way competing with the AR15 platform in any respects, accuracy, portability, ease of shooting, aftermarket accesories, etc. Do like the action, but rest of it is just not going to do the job I fear.
Might become one those rare collector Rugers some 15-20 years down the road though????

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm? WHy does everyone think its heavy and it doesn't feel that bad to me. Guess my guns must be all heavy. Never carried a rifle much. Mostly shotguns & ML.