Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mouth Calls
 Login/Join

posted
Hi I am new to calling i was wondering what the good mouth calls are. I will be hunting coyotes in Iowa fairly open and some timber. run them in trucks now but want to get into calling. any advice would be greatly appreciated

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Lohmans Circe (not sure about the spelling) it is green and has 3 positions, close,medium,and long range. The medium position has worked well on coyotes, gray fox, bobcat, wild dogs, deer, and even skunks. It sounds very close to rabbits that my dogs have caught. I have not used another brand in a long time, because this one works so well. I have heard good reports from, Knight & Hale, as well as Primos. Check out some of the videos as this really helped me with how it can be done. Good Luck

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice Rug anybody else out there with some more thanks nick

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
You can now get some custom calls with hand tuned reeds for about you you pay for the factory calls.

I have 3 recommendations for you:

1. Since you live in Iowa, give Rich Cronk a call. He is a master with open reed calls and howlers. I am sincere about calling him. He has been doing this a long time and lives in Council Bluffs. Here is his web-site: Cronk Predator Calls Link
You can get his phone number on the web-site. Tell him Bob Connell asked you to call.

2. I would order a closed reed call from Joe Bradshaw at ArkyYoter Game Calls. Joe makes one of the best line of custom calls today period. He would be another one to call!! Closed reed calls are easier to use. Here is his web-site: ArkyYoter Calls Link Tell Joe Bob said to call.

3. Go to AllPredatorCalls.com's web-site and put it in your favorites. You can call AP, the owner, as well and visit with him. Here is AP's web-site: AllPredatorCalls.com Link Tell AP Bob said it was ok to call....

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased some "Critr Call's" quite a while back and have had great luck with em. Quit using all my older stuff. I got a cassette tape with em that I played while driving and practiced for a week or two then took three coyotes my first time out with em.
Since then I've gotten real comfortable with them and have several as well as a squeaker and seem to do fine. I'll try to post a link.

critrcall

I also was amazed at how well they work for the price's.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the advice ill check them all out

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HOYT 17......... run them in trucks now but want to get into calling.

My advice is to keep running them with trucks. Lots more fun, not nearly as frustrating, much warmer, usually got a cooler behind the seat.....you get the picture. beer

We do the same thing with deer in this area. We take our old pickups and plow rigs and go out "hunting" in the evenings in the fall. You drive down the road looking for eyes. When you see eyes in the head lights you floor it, expecting they will leap out in front of the vehicle. They usually do. Some of my more "genetically challenged" friends will actually drive down into the ditch after them. Of course I can't speak from experience but the plow rig is the way to go. They tell me there is lots less damage to the deer and the rig. Thats just what they tell me of course.

If however you are dead set on ending the fun you have been having and really try to call something in, this is what I use.

I have three calls now that go with me on a tether. In no particular order is the Bill Austin open reed howler. It takes some practice, but it is very versitile. The other is the Yote Buster. Also open reed, but easy to use. The other is a little gem I found accidentally, it is made by Hayden Game Calls Inc. 5018 Hazel Jones Rd., Bossier City, La., 71111, 318-746-3586. And it is the BC-85 Baby Cottontail. Don't know if they are still in business, but I hope so, as I should order a couple of replacements. If someone could chime in with more info on them it would be great.

Good luck.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
its fun runnin them in trucks but we are kinda striking out this year. half the guys huntin with us dont have a clue. but thats besides the point anybody else know of any good call makers out there. thanks nick

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Go up above and click on the link to AllPredatorCalls.com. You will find many of the top custom call makers available there.

Here is a link to our site with a list of custom call makers: Link to Custom Call Makers

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montdoug:
I purchased some "Critr Call's" quite a while back and have had great luck with them as well as a squeaker and seem to do fine.
critrcall

I also was amazed at how well they work for the price's.

Get the Pee Wee, Standard and Song Dog and your set!!!

From the web site:
There must be 200 mouth-blown predator calls out now, with 50 electronic calls, and 400 cassette tapes and CD's. Take your pick. I still like the Crit'R·Calls best, and I use my Standard model 80% of the time, the Song Dog or Magnum 20% of the time. Why? They just work great, at least as good as any other call or better, including electronic calls. They are small, light, sturdy, simple, weatherproof, and work no matter what the conditions. They go around my neck on a parachute-cord lanyard and take no extra hands or effort to use. Start a hand-held call when your are ready and change it instantly to the need

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used enough of the new stuff to comment on it but I sure agree on the Critr call's, as I mentioned I've benched the rest of my older stuff. I've thought about a good electric but some how the challenge just isn't the same (just a personal opinion for myself, not a judgment).
I love calling in a mature dog at mid to late in the season when he's heard a bunch of calls and he's getting real shy (as the ego swells). I like calling em as much or more than shooting them. Now back in the late 70's it was a bit different $$$$ Big Grin .

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote