THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Father - daughter varmint shoot

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Father - daughter varmint shoot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Went out today with my 20 year old daughter on her first hunting trip of any kind. She had taken the hunter's safety course about 4 years ago, so we ran down and picked her up a hunting license on the way out of town. I brought her 243 along with mine and we set a target at 100 yards and let her site it in with my varmint loads after we got on the ranch.
It was a blue bird day, temps in the mid 50's and nice sunshine. After getting sighted in, we set up on top of a hill in one of my favorite spots and started glassing for squirrels she spotted one at about 200 yards and after I found it in my scope I told her to take it whenever she felt comfortable. We were shooting prone off of mats and she had a front rest and her first shot cartwheeled a squirrel across the pasture. I told her that she got it and told her where it landed and she found it again in her scope. I was impressed at the first shot. She asked how I knew I got one when I was hunting by myself and I told her that I could generally see it because I hold down on the rifle and that I listen for the "Thwock" of the hit. I took the next shot at about 250 yards and turned one into "red mist" and she heard the hit. We did pretty good for awhile and she was getting over 50% when she decided to take one out near 300 yards. She hit way low and and left it wounded crawling toward it's hole. I finished it off with 2 shots and we discussed being sure of your limitations and the responsibility of humanely finishing off the animal. All in all we had a good day with over 80 rounds expended and probably around 50 squirrels dispatched.

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Fjold,

Your a lucky man to have a daughter that likes to hunt. Although I do not force my children to "like" hunting, they seem to express an interest. My son is 8 and my daughter is 3. Billy has been afield with me a few times when I can find a babysitter for my daughter (I am a widower), and we both enjoy the time together. I now find myself wondering where to buy an orange vest and hat in a 4-T size for Margaret. They both do very well "hunting deer" when I apply the cheats on the Deer Hunter II video game. It is a great tradition to share with those who are interested.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
taking my 7 year old daughter pdog hunting this summer. Can not wait.Bought her a single shot .17hmr.
wayne

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote