THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    204 Kind Of Weekend! (17 HMR Ammo Prices Also)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 Kind Of Weekend! (17 HMR Ammo Prices Also)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been off on a long 3 day weekend of Varminting (both accidental and intentional), Gun Shop hopping and Gunshows here in southwest and western Montana!
The 204's are just now showing up in good numbers out here and I also saw 204 ammunition for the first time.
In our travels we saw 3 different models of the Ruger in caliber 204 Ruger. For those interested I will list the prices I saw on the various models.
I saw handled and seriously considered buying the first Model KM77VT in 204 I have seen. It was in Missoula, Montana at the Sportsmans Surplus store This laminated stock, low glare stainless model has the 26" heavy barrel and the one I saw really felt good to me. The bolt was a bit bindy or draggy but not sloppy. This may go away with use? The price was $599.00! I offered $550.00 which was $25.00 more than the other calibers in this same model were priced at ($525.00). I saw it Friday the day it came to that store and it was gone Saturday! He who hesitates sometimes loses!
I also saw just a splendid looking Ruger #1-B at the Bitterroot Trading Company in Hamilton, Montana. Its fit and finish were very nice and the buttstock was an 8 on a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being tops)! I should have bought this Rifle but the pushy price held me back. It was premium priced at $699.00!
Then at the Missoula Gunshow the Shedhorn Sports Shops travelling Gunshow contingent sold my good friend Jack the third style 204 I saw on the weekend! This was a great looking Ruger #1 - in specific the K1-V-BBZ Model. This model has the gray laminated stock with bright stainless finish. This heavy barreled Varmint Rifles barrel (in 204 Ruger) IS 26" long! I had not noticed this fact in the latest Ruger catalog. My friend and Hunting partner Jack who drove out from western Washington for the weekend bought it for $739.00 as I recall! He also bought two boxes of ammo for $14.75 each. To say this is a nifty and well made Rifle would be an understatement. Finished very nicely and it had a pretty good trigger! And most of all it just looked great! I was impressed! But at 3/4's of a grand I would rather gamble for excellent accuracy with another offering or a custom Rifle?
The Sportsmans Warehouse had 10 boxes of ammo for the 204's at $15.00 per box!
I really have the 204 hots! And the "should have jumped" remorses, but I have been there many times before! I have a lot of irons in the fire right now including a deal going on a custom 221 Fireball Rifle! So I figger the 204's are coming around now and I will pick a nice one when its convenient for me!
Also I saw lots of 17 HMR ammo of all kinds for sale and at some good (better?) prices! The best prices I saw in my extensive travels this weekend were $7.95 a box for Hornady, $7.95 a box for Remington and $6.95 a box for the CCI. I bought 10 more boxes of the Remington (no further break for case price!). I saw the Federal ammo several places but did not note the prices.
My good friend Ben who I Varminted with so succesfully last week simply could not resist the call of the 17 HMR for Varminting! He was so impressed with mine he bought his own Ruger 77/17VMBBZ (for $459.00 cash) and is all excited to get it geared up this week for next weekends Gophering! He has a Leupold straight 10X scope for it and I volunteered to lap the rings and mount and bore sight his scope for him.
I spoke with one of the owners of the new High Standard Company about the on going trials and tribulations of the 17 High Standard (17 Aquila?) vs. the 17 MachII all the details are simply to complicated to relay! It may be settled this summer - who is building, making and offering what ammo, chamberings and such! I came within an eyelash of buying one of his High Standard Victor like models in 17 whatever it was. He said his company will re-chamber or replace the barrel if the ammo decision goes the other way from what its chambered in now! $795.00 for this beauty! He originally had 7 of these and is down to the last one he is selling. Might be a neat collectors piece anyway? My freind Ross bought a Ruger 77/22 Hornet sporter in Hamilton, Montana - I tried to talk him into the Varmint Model but he wanted the sporter!?!? To each their own I guess. No 204 Ruger dies or brass were seen anywhere I went. I better get busy in that regard!
Shot just a few Varmints as we were so busy shopping and visiting but on my drive through western Montana I accidentally ran over 3 Ground Squirrels during my the weekend. And I had to swerve to miss at least 100 more of these reckless little Jaywalkers!
One of our normal group of Guntraders and Varminters was involved as a volunteer for the Montana Game Department this weekend - counting Sage Grouse on their spring mating grounds (called Lieks, Leeks or Leaks?). I will find out how many they counted when I call him tonight!
The Antelope were in the midst of their spring migration from my valley (elevation 5,280') to the Big Hole Valley (elevation 6,400') and the super nutritious grass up there! They travel about 45 to 65 miles on this migration each spring and fall. They could do it in an hour if they wanted but the hundreds and hundreds of fences in their way make it an ordeal of about a week I am sure!
Saw many herds of Elk and they are also heading back up towards higher elevations in the Pioneer and Bitterroot mountains.
I sold a couple of guns and another I was selling got spoken for. I was selling these three for a woman that an elderly uncle died and left her. One was an L.C. Smith hammer and damascus double barreled shotgun! I should have bought this one myself!
I also got to visit with my old trapper friend in the Big Hole valley and he had a great trapping season. Including a silver pelted Beaver! Now I have seen and owned Beaver pelts in many colors from black to brown to reddish but this silver Beaver pelt was just gorgeous! I made a generous offer but he would not sell! My friend just turned 84 and has been trapping all his life and this is the first silver Beaver he has seen! It actually had a pure white belly area on its pelt.
No Ground Squirrel pups were seen in any of the areas I travelled as yet.
Great Montana style weekend! Snowed last night and rained this morning in many places here in SW but we so desperately need the moisture it was welcome!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great report! I was busy with the addition and setting forms, but did make it to the gun show on Saturday. I was a little dissappointed in the volume of dealers, but overall, it is hard to find fault with the show after a long Montana winter! I now realize that your friend Redial is one of our local Highpower experts and is well known to friends of mine. Did you make it by the Axmen?

Take care,

Matt

Posts: 33 | Location: Missoula, MT | Registered: 16 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shortside: Yes we did make it to the Axmen south store! We got there at 5:29 PM on Friday and they were gracious enough to let us browse for 12 - 15 minutes even though they closed at 5:30 PM! My partner wanted very badly one of the Kimber 10 m/m pistols that he had heard they had. Apparently all 10 they had recently sold out. This was an apparently uncatalogued caliber but Kimber made some up!
Yes the Missoula Gunshow was way smaller than last falls show! But there were some nice things there.
Missoula was sure humming!
Yep I have only got to speak in person once with Redial and he is sure an interesting and entertaining fella!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Those 10mm Kimbers are sweet, and I have seen a few around town from time to time. I will keep you in mind so you might notify your friend if one comes through in the near future.

Glad you enjoyed your visit, and the August show is always sold out. Mark it on your calendar...

Matt aka Shortside

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Well geez, fellas! *sniff!*

I've been very fortunate to be included in fraternities like this one, and for that I'm very grateful.

I was at the Missoo show on Sunday morning - bought a raffle ticket from another old Jarhead and saw a few friends, ate a hotdog. Amusing, but not real exciting.

I'm looking for a Rem or CZ in 17Rem if anyone nearby has one laying around. I won't even bitch that it's right handed if it's cheap! I want to stretch the range of my 17HMRs a bit but keep that low-mass bullet. Besides, that dang seafire started an awful reduced-load fascination in me and I bet I can cook up something WAY cool with Blue Dot in 17Rem.

Cheers lads!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shortside: Matt thank you very much for keeping me in mind. My friend that has the Kimber 10 mm hots lives in Corvallis there in the Bitterroot.

Redial: I am on the Hunt for a 17 Remington for you! The folks from Shedhorn Sports had a CZ 527 (Varmint Model with the laminated stock) at the show - but it was in caliber 223 Remington. I checked it over really well and was most impressed with it. It really fit me well. I am trying to warm up to that clip magazine hanging way down so I can try one someday. Anyway I am looking at the CZ 2004 catalog and the 17 Remington appears to be only available in the CZ527 Varmint Model with the solid Turkish Walnut stock. It looks very nice in the catalog. The Shedhorn Sports folks out of Ennis really had the gun cartons stacked up high and there may have been a 17 Remington in one of the carton stacks? Their number is 1-406-682-4210 (or www.Shedhorn.com). New or used or either on the 17 Remington Redial by the way?
Now its snowing again! The Ground Squirrels are actually hitchhiking south bound toward Utah! They have apparently had enough of this freezing rain, sleet, hail, snow and repeat the cycle every two hours kind of weather!
Aaahh Montana!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Thanks VG! I'd prefer a used one, having had good luck in the past buying "shot out" rifles and scrubbing

them back to health! Besides, with a couple exceptions the new rigs are spendy!

I handled two locally today - one a regular BDL that's a little glossy for my tastes and another Rem with a

textured fiberglass stock and a fluted barrel. That one's price included all my available dough and my virtue too!

Eeesh! Now, if I were asking Santa for the idea rig, it'd be a Mountain Rifle or Classic, left handed but then

I'd be delusional, huh? Kinda prefer that "understated beauty" thing rather than the Weatherby-esque flashy rigs.

I'll give Shedhorn a call! Thanks for the tip! Shortside, I'll be in to pester you too! I'll be in Butte Saturday for

the first match of the season - any recommended shops to visit?

Cheers

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Redial,

I have seen two .17 Rems in the CZ 527 in the last few months; one in Brady's Sportman's Surplus, and one out at the Axmen South store. The one in Brady's was used and had a really good price on it(maybe $389 - consignment)?. I think the Ax's is/wa new for like $469? I am not sure if either are still there, but I might get by Brady's at lunch and if I do, I will check.

I have not spent much time in Butte, but hear there are a few good stores there. I always like to hit the pawn shops, just in case a 'sleeper' is waiting for me.

Good luck at your shoot, I will be at the AX.

Matt