Find
Notify
Tools

external turret scope
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I'm shopping around to replace the current scope on my varmint (some target as well) rifle. I'd like to get a scope that has externaly adjustable turrets so that I can callirate the rifle and scope for shooting distant targets without hold over. As in right now it's dead on at 200, up X clicks for 300 and X clicks for 350, 400 and so on. My basic scope now is not the best for this with standard turrets and I have to bring the gun down to read the dial. I like the micrometer type readings of a target turret style scope. My question is what scopes are available with these without spending a fortune. I like the ones that don't require the caps to be removed for adjustment. I like the 3200 10x but I'd like a variable with lower power capabilities. Also as much as I like feed back, there is no sense recomending the high end Leapoulds or a Nightforce or something like that. I know they are great optics but I have a real world job and kids to pay for and an honest to goodness budjet.

This will be on a heavy .260 rem so recoil is light.

Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushnell makes an Elite 3200 5-15 Tactical model now with target turrets and AO. I haven't had my hands on one yet but I'm guessing it will be everything the 10x model is.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kuna, ID | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I have a few of the Burris' and like the target turrets too. I calibrate mine by wrapping white label strips around the turret with yardage marks on the strip, ie: 100, 150, 200, 250, and so forth. I then wrap an additional layer of packing tape to waterproof the yardage label. Then I just range the distance and turn the turret to the yardage and shoot holding dead on. Burris just charges $40 to change from standard turret to target turret (each). I have them on everything from 30-30 Contender Pistol to 300 RUM rifles. Good Luck and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Learning to use a scope with a Mil Dot Reticle would pay big dividends for you...Nikon makes a wonderful 4.5 x 14 with target turrents and a mil dot reticle... it is priced right at $290.00 domestically in the USA...

My 260 Rem VLS wears one...It helps to reach out there quite a bit... I shoot at a target on our local range that is out around 725 yds... it is a rock about the size of a 2 drawer file cabinet... but dial it in on the scope, pull the trigger, and watch the dust fly off the rock

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Burris just charges $40 to change from standard turret to target turret (each).

I didn't know about that. Is it only on certain scopes? Are they ordered that way?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mention externally adjustable turrets. There are no variable powered scopes with external adjustments available commercially.
You can get, as mentioned above, internal adjustment scopes with target turrets. Leupold has target turrets available for many of their scopes, and can install them on their scopes if they don't have them initially.

Don

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
The Burris scope has to have Hunter Knobs to convert to Target Turret Knobs but I think all current Burris' you would consider would be a canidate. You should send for a new Burris Catalog at www.burrisoptics.com there is more information in the catalog than on their website. Here is what it says in the catalog "Adjustment Knobs: All prices are for either custom work on your scope, or on a custom built new scope order. Prices are for either one or two knob conversions.
Convert from Hunter Knob/s to Target Knob/s- $80
Convert from Target Knob/s to Hunter Knob/s- $40
I just recently sent one for a Target Turret for $40. This was just one (elevation) Turret on a Black Diamond. Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new Bushnell 4200. It is a 4X16X40 with the tall turrets. I received it today. I got a great price on it. $402 out the door. This scope is for a new 223 I am putting together. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
You mention externally adjustable turrets. There are no variable powered scopes with external adjustments available commercially.
You can get, as mentioned above, internal adjustment scopes with target turrets. Leupold has target turrets available for many of their scopes, and can install them on their scopes if they don't have them initially.

Don

Unless I'm reading this wrong the above information is completely incorrect. I have Nightforce, Springfield Armory, BSA, and Burris that are all Variable power, adjustable focus and have externally adjustable "Target-Tactical" range and windage. Check Midway

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what DMB is saying.

Try these guys:

NATCHEZ

They have always been good to me.

Or these guys:

Kenton Ind

Buy the scope you want and put these on it.

OR, I have (2) of these scopes, one with target turrets and mildot reticle, one with plain turrets and duplex reticle.

Swift 688M

The "plain" model was $129 on sale, ($159 reg) and it came on a rifle I bought. (the box had the prices on it)
Paid $209 or $219 for the mildot can't remember. It has dust covers on the turrets that can be removed, or left on. Both came from the same local gunshop.

Both have worked very well and are not the first Swift products I have used.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NBHunter:
I'm shopping around to replace the current scope on my varmint (some target as well) rifle. I'd like to get a scope that has externaly adjustable turrets so that I can callirate the rifle and scope for shooting distant targets without hold over. As in right now it's dead on at 200, up X clicks for 300 and X clicks for 350, 400 and so on. My basic scope now is not the best for this with standard turrets and I have to bring the gun down to read the dial. I like the micrometer type readings of a target turret style scope. My question is what scopes are available with these without spending a fortune. I like the ones that don't require the caps to be removed for adjustment. I like the 3200 10x but I'd like a variable with lower power capabilities. Also as much as I like feed back, there is no sense recomending the high end Leapoulds or a Nightforce or something like that. I know they are great optics but I have a real world job and kids to pay for and an honest to goodness budjet.

This will be on a heavy .260 rem so recoil is light.

Thanks in advance.

I'm no sure what a fortune is, but for $1000-$1400 the Leupold MkIV's will fit the bill. I have a 3.5-10 on a 340wby Accumark with 1/4 MOA externally adjusted turrets and side focus. Holds up to the 340, a 260 should do just fine.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I guess if I had $1400 for a scope I wouldn't bother asking witch one. I'm guessing you just joking around 'EH?

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Check out the classifieds= Allen Gore just added a Bushnell 4200 6-24 for a good price shipped. Louis

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Also as much as I like feed back,
there is no sense recomending the high end Leapoulds or a Nightforce or something like that. I know they are great optics but I have a real world job and kids to pay for and an honest to goodness budjet.
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Boar Hunter:
I'm no sure what a fortune is,
but for $1000-$1400 the Leupold MkIV's will fit the bill.
I have a 3.5-10 on a 340wby Accumark with 1/4 MOA externally adjusted turrets and side focus. Holds up to the 340, a 260 should do just fine. John
I hope to shout a $1000-1400 dollar scope would fit the bill!
Don't know what a fortune is? Well, just so you know, $1000-1400 is VERY close.

I might have been a little under what he was looking for but good grief!

---Mike

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornIt was a pleasant suprise when I tested a BSA Platinum 24x44 on the .223, 12bvss-s. First of all it has the turret adjustment and was dirt cheap.

There are better more expensive scopes witout a doubt but this one has serviced well for the last three years. It wares 8" of tube up front. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
I have no idea what DMB is saying.

His original post said externally adjustable scopes, not internally adjustable scopes with target type turrets. If he said what he wants correctly, and there is some question in my mind as to whether he did, he is asking about the Unertl type scopes that have external adjustments.
There are lots of scopes made with turrets that are internally adjusted for windage and elevation.
So, the question is, what does he really want?

Don

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
A scope that I don't have to remove the dust caps to adjust it. It would just be nice to have not a requirement.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
You mention externally adjustable turrets.

There are no variable powered scopes with external adjustments available commercially.

Don
quote:
His original post said externally adjustable scopes, not internally adjustable scopes with target type turrets. If he said what he wants correctly, and there is some question in my mind as to whether he did, he is asking about the Unertl type scopes that have external adjustments.
There are lots of scopes made with turrets that are internally adjusted for windage and elevation.
So, the question is, what does he really want?

Don
He wants exactly what he asked for in the first place. There was no question in my mind.
I do know that Unertl, Lyman (and others) have adjustable MOUNTS and that is not what he asked about.

He asked for:
quote:
I'm shopping around to replace the current scope on my varmint (some target as well) rifle. I'd like to get a scope that has externaly adjustable turrets so that I can callirate the rifle and scope for shooting distant targets without hold over...
Don't confuse the guy.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
coffeeWent thru some more stuff and found 2 Tascos 6x24 x 44 that have been mounted on a Ruger #1 that has so far been OK and a Ruger 77 Varmint in .243 that has served well for 5 years so far. Again cheap scopes that seem to have some meritt and have the external turret type adjustments.

The 2 Barska scopes that I've tried were NFG. beerroger lefty

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I can say the Tasco 6-24 x 44 is a good scope for the money also. I wouldn't recommend the 42mm as well as the 44mm Tasco's though. www.natchezss.com has them for $79.95 right now too. Item #F56TATG624x44DS. God Bless, Louis

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornJust received a TRU GLO, 6-24X 44 w/Mil-dot reticle from Natchez. It has the turret adjustments 8" of light shield and although not mounted yet the clarity is outstanding.

Will test it out Wed. or next week at the latest. Total to my door was $64.00 beerroger