Find
Notify
Tools

Ringtails in Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
What are the odds of shooting a Ringtail cat on a night spotlight predator hunt in Texas.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If you are in good ringtail country, the odds are pretty good. And while they may not actually come in to a call, you'll be able to pick up their eyes (more than likely in a tree) once interest peaks -- and a low-toned sound like a jackrabbit call is just the ticket.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you you have a camp trailer or cabin in the rocksprings/bracketville area and don't come around for a couple of weeks, the odds are pretty good you can shoot one in your dwelling. Seems like every lease I've had in the area we have problems with ringtail cats waking us up at night 'cause they get in the walls and attic areas.

A couple of years ago in bracketville, we had an old trailer we stayed in. We couldn't seem to get rid of the ringtails. I brought up a live trap to see if I could catch some. Baited it with cat food. Left it out all night. Got up in the morning and found out I had caught a skunk. Last time I tried to cathch ringtails.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Geedubya wrote:
quote:
Baited it with cat food. Left it out all night. Got up in the morning and found out I had caught a skunk. Last time I tried to cathch ringtails.

Boy, doesn't that just stink... Big Grin

Sorry...I couldn't resist!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, actually, I got lucky.
a little more detail on the story. We got up to go out that morning and one of my buds called and called me to tell me that I had caught something. I went to take a look. thats when the razzing started. Well I didn't want to kill the skunk and I didn't want to get sprayed. It took me a minute to figure out that if I put my face right down to the cage, I could release the trip lever with my right hand and push up the door with my left. I started singing real soft and gentle to the skunk, hoping not to cause him undue alarm, while I shined the light from my cap light in his eyes. It took a few seconds but I was able to set the release that held the door open. I backed off real quick. Lucky for me my buds were busy getting ready to go out for the morning and didn't goose me in the but while I was bent over with my face right next to that cage. I might have just had to shoot and skin one of them, once I got over gettin skunked.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Geedubya wrote:
quote:
Lucky for me my buds were busy getting ready to go out for the morning and didn't goose me in the but while I was bent over with my face right next to that cage. I might have just had to shoot and skin one of them, once I got over gettin skunked.

My side is STILL hurting from that imagery! rotflmo

I've done similar -- sans the singing, 'lest they would have sprayed for SURE! - and got lucky.

A relative used another technique. He would always use a heavy wire hook to pull the cage into the clear, where the smell would be no issue, shoot the skunk in the cage and then dispose of it.

However, once he tripped while pulling the cage, and both he and the trap tumbled a bit. Neither the skunk nor my relative smelled very good after that outcome.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the Big Bend Country, South of Marathon,Texas, specifically on the Rosillas Mt. Ranch my boys and/or myself killed as many as 150 Ringtails a night..That was back when fur was worth money and ringtails brought about $25. as best I recall..Coyotes were $150 and Bobcats brought $600...

geedubya,
I think I would give them the trap first... rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your coming to South Texas, not very good odds.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote