THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    20 yr. anniversary for favorite gopher spot!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 yr. anniversary for favorite gopher spot!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted
Fellers,

Yesterday after church and a few home chores completed I had the kids and wife laughing their butts off as they watched Freaky Friday. It was the perfect chance to get out and shoot some grass rats.

On the way out to the place I remembered that this was the 20th year shooting gophers at this location. Its on public land and, thank God, I�ve only been there one time where someone else was shooting. I was a sophomore engineering student at MSU and my high school hunting friend found out about the place and the rest is history.

The shooting is rarely �hot barreled� but there have been days where the carnage has been impressive. Regardless, going out to there has always provided a chance to unwind, pray, laugh and sometimes just lay on my back and watch the clouds pass by. I�m very thankful for every chance to get there.

Years ago we brought out a youth group of some semi-troubled kids to shoot and had a little contest. The scoring was simple: �three points an ear�. The kids had the time of their lives and the national organization for the ministry nearly freaked out, giving kids .22s and shooting furry creatures. Tons of fun.

An old Remington 581 was the only gun used until this year. The 581 has seen a truck load of .22 bricks shot through it at this place. If gopher bones stuck around like cow bones it would be quite a site.. After a few years crows and hawks started showing up, following behind us as we walked the circuit, eating the dead that the other gophers didn�t haul down to munch on below ground level. They were there yesterday, always out of range, eating their fill.

This year I brought out a new Savage 10FP with a Weaver Grand Slam varmint scope. Always thought real varmint rifles were overkill for gophers. Now I KNOW they are overkill and it�s a gas! The numbers are way down from years past and they seem very wary this year, far spookier than in the past. The .223 makes up for their skittishness, though. I made some shooting sticks out of some old tent poles. They�re great and provide a nice solid rest. I�m no great shot but it�s a hoot tearing them up with a 50gr. HP at over 100 yards. They are a very small target and, when hit, do some funky stuff.

I�m very thankful to have had the chance to shoot at this place for 20 years. Thank God!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for you, friend. I have a few places I have shot PD's at for a good many years. The shooting is slow at best as these guys get shot at-a lot! But the place is usually good for a few long shots. Saturday I got only two, at 427 and 424 yds. I get to relax in the sun, and make a few very satisfying shots. That works for me.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mt Al: Happy anniversary! Good for you on that long running "sweet spot"!
I have a honey hole myself and go there on special occassions. Year before last I shot 4,000 rounds of Federal 22 LR ammo there during the spring and summer! There were days when I just had to quit shooting! I was sated and in the back of my mind I was worried that the place would be "shot out" for next year!
Not to worry though - the little cretins were back last year with a vengeance! Not only do the Crows, Ravens, Hawks and Eagles follow me around at this place but the Badgers have been showing up very frequently here also.
I see the Federal people have diminished their bulk pack 22 LR ammo from 550 rounds per pack to 525 this year! I switched from the Federal red carton 400 packs to the 550 packs last year. Great accuracy and lethality in my 10/22's with this ammo.
I am waiting for the weather to perk up here til I make my first major Ground Squirrel Safari! Dang wind!
Speaking of hot barrels - on my 10/22 with Lilja heavy barrel (I am very careful with this expensive barrel) that has served me well for about 9 years now. But on occassion I can get this barrel almost warm! I do not know if its possible to heat up to dangerous levels (achieveing throat eroding temperatures) in a Hunting situation.
Come on calmness!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote