THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    using silencers- moderators on hornet rifles

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

using silencers- moderators on hornet rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what your veiws,i use one and am of mixed opinion !!!

Posts: 69 | Location: great britain | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
As you probably know, it isn't done here very often due to our laws on the subject. That's why you see all the posts on "cats sneeze" type loads and the .22 CB caps.

I personally don't see a great disadvantage to not using one. That's probably the majority view since for the "real" varminter (i.e. fanatical) the cost, even the government tax and red tape, wouldn't be that much if there was a real benefit. Perhaps we should say real or perceived benefit? [Roll Eyes]

While the cost of suppressors is pretty high in this country the cost would come down if a quantity of units could be made and sold. That's another reason I don't think the price is a problem.

The real benefit, as I see it, would be to shoot in close proximity to homes without arousing the occupants. Here in Virginia, you must be 100 yards from a house (though the home owners don't always comply [Big Grin] ).

What is your experience?

[ 07-14-2003, 16:09: Message edited by: Hobie ]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
Steve: What make and model? PES are supposed to be the best. Read the latest edition of Shooting Sports where Bruce Potts puts a couple of new ones through there paces. [Smile]

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi steve i use reflex suppresors on my .222 and .22-250 and cannot beleive the difference it is astounding. a keeper friend thought that it would not work untill he had a go of mine now him and half a dozen friends now have them. first night shooting with the .222 and we shot a vixen and then the dog just fifty yards away from it.usually we would be lucky to get 2 shots pernight on this farm but that night we shot 4 foxes in an hour and a half.

Posts: 50 | Location: england | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mine is a reflex from jackson rifles in scotland i got the T8 as he said it would cover all 22 c/fire rifles .My problem is that i shoot in some valleys and some sound rebounds back.From 300yrds away it sounds like an unsilensed rimmy there is not much boooom just a crack of the bullet but that still seems loud !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
HOBIE i only got one because the powers that be slackend off because of health and safty before that they did not like you having one and was virtually impossible to get one!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bunnybasher i have been calling fox,s and shot at one and missed and two more have kept comming from 100yrds to one side of the one i shot at first!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
steve the sound rebounding will be the supersonic crack of the bullet of which nothing can be done about it!, but look at it this way your rifle will still be far quieter and with no muzzle blast it will be very hard for a fox or crow to determine where you are!. it tends to happen that the foxes just keep coming in, before i used a moderator you dared not miss a shot or u would never get a chance at that fox again, now you either get a follow up shot or you can get him the next night.your reflex will definatley do all .22 calibres my t8 also goes on the .243 and with a larger bore through it can go upto .308 so there are no worrys about it silencing your hornet. try firing it from about 10feet into a goo earth backstop(i use a muck heap!) and then you will see how effective it really is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
steve where are you from? i am from northumberland.

[ 07-15-2003, 13:07: Message edited by: bunnybasher ]

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve jones:
HOBIE i only got one because the powers that be slackend off because of health and safty before that they did not like you having one and was virtually impossible to get one!!!!!

Yes, I've heard that they loosened controls due to concerns with hearing safety. However, in the states, it is still seen as an assassin's weapon, not a tool. However, you can pay the tax, get a background check (with variations depending on locality) and if you have the readies you can get the silencer without too much difficulty.

I have a friend who has a suppressed .30 M2 Carbine and a suppressed .45 M3 sub-gun. I've also fired some suppressed weapons in the military.

My take is that it is pretty good hearing protection for the user but limited applicability for most others. It could help with some game as do night vision sights. [Roll Eyes] Of course, I've never had the opportunity to use suppressed firearms on game...

BTW, this is a great thread.

[ 07-15-2003, 17:43: Message edited by: Hobie ]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bunnybasher i,m from a place between liverpool and warrington but most of my shooting (over 4-5 farms of different sizes )is done down at oswestry_ shropshire !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
HOBIE i wish i had got into rifle shooting before they banned semiauto rifles over here just starting to enjoy 45+9mm auto pistol before they banned that !!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
USING ANY SILENCER IS ILLEGAL!!
I load 4.1 grains of UNIQUE [estimated 1950 fps]
or 7.3 grains of IMR 4227. I have shot the 7.3 load at 150 yards but the Unique load only at 25 yards.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MADISON:
USING ANY SILENCER IS ILLEGAL!!

Not in England - but definitely illegal* in OUR "Free" country....

*without the proper permits

[ 07-17-2003, 19:03: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MADISON what cal rifle is that for???