THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Scope Range Finders For Coyotes. Has Anyone Figured It Out?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Range Finders For Coyotes. Has Anyone Figured It Out?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some scopes such as the Leupold VX111's have a range finder system where the "deers" chest is bracketed by the plex and the crosshair. This spread may be similar to some feature on a coyote such as from the top of it's head to it's chest bottom for instance.

The VX111 that I am looking at here has 600 meters equal to 10X and 400 yards is at about 7X. Other conventional scopes work the same way and you can bracket something but of course you must calibrate your power ring.

Please don't tell me to buy a laser range finder unless you send me a check. Just kidding.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not buy a scope with the Mil-Dot reticle. It would seem to me that since there really isn't a huge variance in the size of coyotes that you could easily sit down and do the math to work out ranges based on measurements and either laminate it to your buttstock or get one of those tape roll things (I can't come up w/a manufacturer but a lot of companies sell them) that mounts to the scope.

I won't recommend a brand of scope because all offer a Mil-Dot From BSA to Leupold. But you might want to give it a thought. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Reticle subtention is very much a step in the right direction,as far as determining range(that as opposed to guessing).

However,on smallish targets the margin for error is EXTREMELY unforgiving,even when incorporating the mil ranging system.

As an example(with the mil subtention system),let's say a Coyote's chest area is 12" in height. To make accurate range/holdover determinations,one has to have a stationary target,that is standing at a good angle,to grant a favorable(accurate) reading.

A Coyote at 400yds subtends 0.83mils. 500yds is 0.67mils and 600yds is 0.56 mils subtention. That is fairly precise in nature and one must be at the top of his game to make those determinations. And that doesn't take into account brush or mirage(as most mil scopes are geared to subtend one mil at their highest power settings),etc.

Depending upon specific chambering employed,just a slight miscalculation in target distance(subtention reading),will yield a wild-assed miss.

Things get even tougher,when one encounters wind. Using a mil-reticle,one must hold both over and to the side of the intended target. When doing that,one is effectively holding in "outer space",with no actual reticle reference upon the target.

My point is,reticle subtention is far better than zero guidelines,but also far from precise. The trouble is that extended ranges, call for copious amounts of precision in all avenues(range determination,holdover and windage).

'Tis those reasons that I very much favor a laser and another reason is that a laser is a very viable means of checking to see how good your subtention skills are. Meaning that a laser is a most excellent correction tool,or baseline control unit. It takes ALL guesswork away and is an excellent "de-liar".

As you know,my marked preference is a laser for range determination and a repeatable scope with turrets and ample adjustment to eek the goody out of a given rifle. With those two in conjunction,target size do not matter. One has the option of turning magnification up or down to suit atmospheric conditions and great precision is a direct result.

ONE laser will allow a gent to get the goody outta all of his rifles and in my opinion is a very inexpensive investment for the return it yields. Currently,the Leica 1200LRF can be had for under 400 bucks and it is a helluva machine.

I know it weren't what you wanted to hear,but that is the best way to swat stuff at a distance,with the highest of first shot percentages............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoooaaaah. Been investigating just this for several years now. There's no question in my mind that The two comments above have good merit, in fact, especially Big Stick's. i've seen some of his rigs on this forum, and can easily tell that he's got to be an authority on this subject. I've got an article going into PS publications on adapting the duplex reticle for use on coyotes. Both Leupold and Burris offer a range-estimating system on their oculars for ranging deer size game. I came across a guy not long ago that uses Leupolds ranging system on coyotes and has upped his percentage of 1st shot coyotes out to about 500 yds. or so considerably. He uses a 6-284/70 gr. Noz.at about 3900 or so. He used the simple linear formula 16"/600=11"/X where 16 is the back-brisket measurement on a deer at the highest mag. on his 4.5-14's which equates to 600 yds. 11 is the b-b measurement of the (avg?) coyote, and X is the equivalent range at 14X. Which equals 412 yds. So he calculated mags for 400, 300, etc., and taped a new yardage marking on his ocular. But he had a hard time trying to play with the ocular in the field to bracket coyotes. So he set the scope at the magnification that corresponded to point blank range of a coyotes chest (about 5"). i don't have the figures now but it was about 300+- yards, and then if a coytoe fit inside the x-hair-plex gap at that ranges particular magnification, he could just hold dead on and shoot. He then calculated the portion of that gap that would correspond to 400, 450, and 500 yds. and held appropriately for those ranges. It's obviously not perfect, but as Big Stick once said, "it's better than guessing". Actually this guy talked a friend of his into using this system, and the guy won the Steel Safari (a roving sniper-type competition designed to shoot a 12" metal diamond) several years ago in New Mexico. I think that's testimonial enuf.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nightforce NP - 1RR reticle has a quick referancing range finder for an object of 18inches, exactly the average height at the shoulder of a coyote.

I found it very handy when I was in Canada hunting them, you just bracket the animal in whichever distance refernce it fits into and you have an instant + or - idea of the distance, if the animal is still enough, you can create a more prescise idea still.

The scope also has a circle inside the range finding brackets that is equal to 9 inches, which could be used for ranging things like prarie dogs and the like.

At first I found all the stuff on this reticle to be overwhelming, but now I love it.

Check them out: http://www.nightforceoptics.com/reticles.html

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a number of ways to use your recticle to range stuff . Just use your imagination and do the math . For instance , if you have a duplex where the heavy portion covers 1 MOA , it would bracket a coyote at about 1000 yards .

I think the mil is a bit large for yotes , being dreamed up to range human size targets , but there would certainly be ways to utilize a mil-dot recticle for varmints ........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the bottom plex now for reduced loads in various rifles. I aim from it just as if it were a post. When you change the power it moves the point of impact. So I make a note as to what power to set on the scope to be on at 100 yds for my low noise load.

I am sure I will figure this out. What I want to do is separate 300 yards from 400 yards. That's all. Even with the Swift it drops 11" at 400 yards with a 250 yd zero.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Savage,
I use a very simple method.
Use the width of the coyote as 10" top of back to bottom of chest from the side.
Mark a 10" section on a box with black tape now back off from the box 300 yards. Bracket the 10" area in your scope, now put a mark on your power ring.
For a hunting application you see a coyote way out there. Put your scope power ring on the 300 mark now bracket the coyote. If he does not fill the reticle then hold over an appropriate amount, if he is bigger then hold right on an shoot.
Other variation is to put your scope on high power and walk back from the target until the 10" square is bracketed either full reticle or half and then write down the distances where it fits in the reticle. EX: You have a 10x scope,
you start walking back from target and you find that it fits full reticle at 180 yards and half reticle at 360 yards. Now you have two ranging points. You get the idea, it is very simple and fast to use.
You cannot use this method of "bracketing" unless you have a dead solid rest. Harris bipods work well.

Posts: 11 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fortunately the whole system is linear so simple ratio and proportion formulas figure everything out. Right out my front window is a street sign at exactly 102 yds. that has holes in it that measure 1" all along the metal post that supports the sign. When i invite a friend over for hunting that has a plex reticle in his scope, before he leaves i prop his gun up over the sandbags and measure the distance of the reticle x-hair-post. I then explain to him how he can use it to range game in the field. But what they really like is when i punch his ballistic info. into Gerald Perry's Exbal ballistics program (assuming he knows the velocity of his load) and use the Ballistic Reticle Analysis menu on it to instantly determine the impact range off the plex post that corresponds to his load. Then i play around some with sight-in range to recalculate the posts new zero to a range that is simpler to remember. With Gerald's ballistics program you can save a lot of footwork just by crunching the #'s at home, and then verifying at the range with a preestablished game plan. Check out www.perry-systems.com, tell him i sent you.

[ 04-01-2003, 18:39: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
One other thing, one of the most informative technical articles ever has got to be John Antanies article in VH magazine 1/00 entitled "Getting the Most From Scope Reticles". He describes using the plex reticle for 3 different elevation reference points-- see the article.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Love my Shepherd 6x9x40 ... BDC out to 1000 yards. Just center him in the 18" circle that fits him best. Coyotes average 18" from ground to shoulder. Deer average 18" from back to brisket.

Posts: 55 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Marc-- where you from in MD? I'm originally from Pasadena, close to Glen Burnie. You working those chucks over in Western MD? Man i miss it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just call me stupid if need be!! but does this bracketing work if your scope has the reticule in the 1st or 2nd focal plane, haven't had chance to see yet, work is getting in the way...

many thanks

Griff

ps. is there anyone who does custom reticules.

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, sscoyote. I'm in Woodbine. But I used to live in Co. Spgs, lol. Not been out to Western Md yet this year, but have zapped a couple right here in the back yard.

Posts: 55 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
marc357, beat me to the punch...Shepard scopes simply rock!!!
A guy is wanting to sell one at the local hangout for about $350 I think...I just might offer $300, since nobody knows what it is down there in Loopy world!!...sakofan....Welcome marc357.. [Smile]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
SS Coyote: Could you send me that copy when you're done... or Xerox it?

Here is my address.

MAJ Russell E. Taylor
HHC 3D COSCOM 9-1684
G3
APO, AE 09372-1684

I'm not interested in ranging as much as I am engaging. I also think changing the magnification as Savage 99 suggests is a good idea, short of replacing the scope with one that has pre-positioned marks for different distances like the Burris Ballistic Plex, for example.

Thanks.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote