Find
Notify
Tools

Ohio coyotes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
ConfusedAre there really coyotes in the lake Erie area. In the 40s and 50s I spent a lot of time in the woods , hills , along rivers and such. never seen one, never heard one, never heard any even mention one. Yet, I here stories that say they are there today. If that is true was there some sort of silent migration? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coyotes are by no means quiet.. YOu will hear them in the evening if they are around.. You could get them migrating in as they are used to people to some extent. But they would have to have someplace not too far to migrate from.. Ive heard they are showing up back east more and more.. dave

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger they are here in Strongsville. A friend got one the from the animal warden a few years ago that was hit by a vehicle on I-71 between the Ohio turnpike and state Rt 82. Had it mounted. Looks good.

Chief

Posts: 115 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
holycowThanks Chief! I use to hunt in Strongesville with a guy named Larry Minch whoes Dad owned Minch's Nursery. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine lives in central Ohio and has killed quite a few coyotes around the Gallion area.

He got hooked on hunting coyotes when we were stationed in the Marine Corps in Yuma, AZ and he has been out to Colorado with me to my home town to hunt them.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
bartsche

bartsche I can understand why you never heard any coyotes in the 40 or 50 thats because they really dident show up until around the early 80S. The rumor is that the state DRN actually brough them in to help control the groundhogs. I don't know if its true but I have heard that over and over. I killed 12 yotes so far this year most of them by calling with my foxpro. However I have more fun hunting them with the beagles when there is a fresh snow.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by killahog:
quote:
bartsche

bartsche I can understand why you never heard any coyotes in the 40 or 50 thats because they really dident show up until around the early 80S. .

patriot salute Thank you! That would seem to shed some light on the matter. beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is a healthy population here in the wooster/canton area.

i hadn't seen one in my life until lately but now we hear about them all the time.

-Matt

Posts: 285 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 12 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live southwest of Lima and when a ambulance siren is blaring going down the four lane south of me coyotes will drown out the siren at times,pretty cool sound.