Find
Notify
Tools

Sounds for Bobcats
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted
I am planning on buying a Wildfire game caller in a few week with 35 call choices and wanted to know what you guys felt were the best sounds to call in bobcats.
Sam

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
bird distress (woodpecker), rabbit distress, any bobcat type mating calls (during mating season) would work well I'd imagine

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Quail if you can choose it. I've also used fighting muckrat sounds but made with a coaxer.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with the Woodpecker as well as the Rodent on Bubcats. Hand squeaks work well also.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Bobcats, like all cats, are curious. They like "busy" sounds a lot. As stated above, the bird sounds work very well. The yellowhammer woodpecker is one of my favorites. Order several bird sounds. Be sure to get some rabbit distress too. Get whatever version of cottontail duet, dueling rabbits, etc. you can. It is busy and cats seem to respond to it very well. My favorite of those is Burnham Brothers Cottontail Duet. If you are targeting bobcats, plan a sitting a bit longer, at least 30 minutes. Be sure to look everywhere, not just for one coming in. You may be surprised to see one just sitting there staring at you 20 yards away in a bush.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what bob said...and be sure to look EVERYWHERE!! twice i've had them sneak up directly under me without me seeing them. with the next series of calls they were mighty surprised to hear a wounded rabbit up a tree!

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Meeow?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I already tried that one. Didn't seem to work too well, but thank anyways. lol

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sam,

Thx for taking my weird (to some) humour in stride.

tu2

My 2nd Option would be , "Here, Kitty-Kitty ...." and believe me or not that is a private joke among a bunch of us who hunt together here.

Laughing aside, the only Bobcat I ever saw in the wild (suburbs) was calmly strolling past the entrance to my Father's gated-community in Tampa, Florida in the middle of a Sunday afternoon!

Varmint hunting has always been something I would really like to get involved with as here in The Fatherland our only real opportunity is sitting for Foxes November-January when the pelts are in good shape. We do O.K. at it with the added luxery of potting the hapless Pigger who may stroll by as well.

US Varmint Calls are sold here as well (alot more expensive than in the US, too) but coincidentally they are illegal to use ..... mouth or mannualy operated Calls are legal but not electronic.

bewildered

Good Luck with your Varmint Caller and be sure to let us know about your experiences with it.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the Rosillas Mountain Ranch, South of Marathon, Texas leased for a number of years, and it bordered Mexico for all practical purposes and it bordered the Big Bend National Park on three sides so Bobcats, Mt. Lion and coyotes were overly abundant..We trapped all day and called all night! Furs we're really bringing big bucks back then. Wink

I used the Yellowhammer Woodpecker, half grown jack rabbit or the grown cottontail (both the same I'm thinking) and some other bird call?, They sure worked on Coyotes, Llano foxes and Bobcats..Only called in one Lion in my life, (using the half grown jack rabbit) and missed getting him..He was apparantly just wondering by and got curious but quickly disapeared. I may have gotten him a few days later in a trap.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote