Tools

NEW ND3 Night Vision
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the video and the website...looks interesting. It isn't night vision though...just seems like a big green laser??

Shouldn't the animals and other people nearby see it that way too??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

My $.02.

Don't waste your time or money.

I had high hopes for the Laser Genetics ND3 laser system.
I had my guy at the local gunshop grab me one as soon as they came out. Man was I stoked. Night vision for less than $300.

Took it to my lease during deer season. Figured I start out by popping a couple hogs at night when they come to the corn.

First problem came when trying to set up the scope rings on the mount. Mine were drilled off and I could only get three of the four screws to engage. A hassle, but not a major problem

I sat about 80 yds away from a spin cast feeder where they come in most every night. I have a game cam on this feeder so I can pattern them. This year they are almost exclusively nocturnal.

First major problem was that I encountered was getting the windage to adjust to center. Bummer.

The deal killer was that the laser did not work as advertised.
It has a dial that focuses the beam. Yes you could use it like a laser pointer and see where the laser impacted at 100 yds. plus, but it would not illuminate the target past say 25 yds.
By that I mean as you opened up the beam to fill the scope objective, beyond twenty five yards or so you could not see the reticle or the target. I tried several different sets of batteries, and within five to 10 minutes of turning on the laser, it would start strobing. No good. I took mine back for a refund within a week.
I've talked to at least one other person who posts on this board that hunts varmints and who I hunted with, and his experience was the same.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Figures that a new offering from BSA doesn't work.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't going to open up that can of worms, but now that you have,

In my exuberance, and of course believing everything I read, I did not notice that it was a BSA product. If I had I would not have bought it in the first place.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leopardtrack

Leopardtrack

Check you PM's for me.

ted

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ted,

Sorry but I don't have any PM's from you in my box...try again? Thanks

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
I got a night vision monocular for less than $300 to my front door from www.opticsplanet.com

It works well enough that one could mount this to there rifle and shoot something within 100 yrds. They make a rifle kit for this unit that mounts the monocular right to the rifle and then you use the night vision as the optics for the gun. I got the 4x lens on mine and you can buy other more power lens if you want but the 4x works well. Its not military grade night vision but it works well. I got the basic unit at first, and it worked well for within 50 yrds. after that it was kinda hard to see things defined. Then I purchased the bigger Infared flashlight for it and that made the difference, lit the world up and now my 22 Mag. is a wild hogs worst nightmare...

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Sorry, here is the unit I purchased

http://www.opticsplanet.net/yukon-4x50-nvmt.html

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
I got a ND-3 for Christmas and after the 4th time I turned it on it quit working. Back to SWFA for a replacement. 4 weeks later the replacement one showed up. Took on a hog hunt this weekend to "field" test it. I had a corn pile at 100 yards and like Geedubya said I think it has a far more limited range than advertised. Guess BSA over embellished their field testing, assuming they did any. The laser dialed down to the smallest beam diameter will reach out 200-250 yards, but is of little value when trying to locate your prey in darkness. I opened it up so I had what I thought would be a 3' circle at 100 yards. The rabbits' eyes at the corn pile lit up like the energizer bunny, but I couldn't make out their bodies. I know some of this had to do the the low magnification I had on my scope. I brought it back to 50 yards and think that may be the end of the effective operating range. Truth be told, I will continue to carry and see if it ever produces a result like BSA infers, but had I had it to do over again, I would not have put this on my Christmas list as even at $300.00 it is NOT worth the price, maybe at $100.00 it would be worth having, but not $300.00. I really does help to have a red illuminated reticle of some type. That does help extend the range somewhat IMHO.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
I picked up a ND-5 on sale. It is much heavier and larger than the ND-3, but at about 50 yards twice as bright. Not something to mount on the rifle like the ND-3, but for use in a stationary position it is going to work better than the ND-3.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote