THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Alliant 2400.. another 'Budget' 223 Powder

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alliant 2400.. another 'Budget' 223 Powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
I do experimenting with other powders in the 223, based on rising costs of components.. and product availability...

I have used Alliants 2400 powder in the past in the 223.. Referencing some load data for the 221 Fireball, I worked up data in the 223, using 2400...

cheers
seafire
Feb 2008..
beer

To make things simpler, I am submitting data that is below max for each bullet weight tested, but came up with load recommendations that are simple to use and uncomplicated...

Accuracy has been excellent in my 223s, the testing being primarily done in a Ruger VT...

For bullet weights in 40, 45 and 50 grain I am recommending a max of 18.5 grains of 2400.. max with the 40 grains was 20 grains of 2400.. and max with the 50 grainer was 19.5 in my rifle..
hence settling on 18.5 grains...

For 52, 55 and 60 grain bullets, I settled on a max recommendation of 18 grains.. once again below the maximum that each bullet weight would actually take....

Here is the info chronographed for those that are interested...
This is using a small rifle primer ( Winchester)
a Ruger VT with a 26 inch barrel..

18.5 grains of 2400 and
40 grain Sierra HP: 3626 fps
45 grain Speer SP: 3430 fps
50 grain SPSX Hornady SP: 3363 fps

18 grains of 24000 and
52 grain HP Speer: 3293 fps
55 grain Hornady SP: 3150 fps
60 grain Hornady SP: 3077 fps

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cummins4x4
posted Hide Post
Great info, thanks,wondering if you have ever tried Lilgun in the 223? I use it in my 22hornet and 44mag so have a bunch of it around.

Posts: 39 | Location: Lethbridge Alberta | Registered: 30 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i always found 2400 to leave a lot of unburned powder - how does it do here? H110 might be better

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
beerJohn, If you like you can add this data to your stasch. 16.5 gr. 2400.
  • 50 gr. 3125 fps.
  • 52 gr. 3050 fps.
  • 60 gr. 2940 fps.

All were CLEAN*, mild and all accurate. popcornroger

* no soot or unburned powder according to my data.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    this is great info...how does it do in .204? has anyone done research on this?? I would love to use 1/2 the powder...

-Matt

Posts: 285 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 12 February 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of seafire2
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by mjbgalt:
    this is great info...how does it do in .204? has anyone done research on this?? I would love to use 1/2 the powder...

-Matt

I have posted 204 data using Blue Dot with 32 and 40 grain V Maxes...within the last week or so..

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
    John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    i saw the blue dot loads...but i just happen to have a pound of 2400 sitting around that i will otherwise never use...

-Matt

Posts: 285 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 12 February 2006Reply With Quote
    posted Hide Post
    Seafire2,
    How do they compare accuracy wise to your Blue Dot loads? Do they stay as cool in the barrel?
    Thanks,
    Scott.

One of Us
    Picture of seafire2
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sburd:
    Seafire2,
    How do they compare accuracy wise to your Blue Dot loads? Do they stay as cool in the barrel?
    Thanks,
    Scott.

It gives good accuracy in my test rifle, however it is not as good as keeping the barrel cool as Blue Dot does... Blue Dot burns cooler than any powders I have worked with..

John Quincy Adams

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafire2:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sburd:
    Seafire2,
    Thanks,
    Scott.

It gives good accuracy in my test rifle, however it is not as good as keeping the barrel cool as Blue Dot does... Blue Dot burns cooler than any powders I have worked with..

Thanks again for all the info. Now I have some more loads to try.