New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 Ackley
 Login/Join

<cris284w>
posted
I am interested in a good load for 40 Gr. bullets in my .223 Ackley. Hopefully something with a velocity in the 3900 fps range...Any suggestions?? Cris

<Big Stick>
posted
30grs of H-335 is a good place to start. I shoot 31.5grs with a moly 40 V-Max in commercial hulls and 3900fps is easily eclipsed,as is 4000fps(grin)..................

<cris284w>
posted
Bigstick, thanks for the reply..I've tried H-335 and like it a lot when the weather is warm. However, when it get cold H-335 looses a lot of its zip. Velocity goes way down..I usually hunt in January and February in North Dokota or In Canada. I need a stable powder!!Cris

<Big Stick>
posted
Though I live in Alaska,my climate is rather moderate,so I don't suffer any of the temp woes so often related by others less fortunate.

I understand TAC is not affected by temp,though I have never used it,she may be worthy of further investigation for your situation...............

<cris284w>
posted
Bigstick, have you tried the 40 grs. on Coyotes? I have heard so much and read so much about the 40 grs. leaving the muzzle at or about 3900 fps and just how wonderful they are on Coyotes. I have used a 6BR with the 58 gr. v-max m/c at about 3625 fps for the last several hunts and I like it a lot. Have taken coyotes clean out to 300 yds. or a little more. But I have three .223 Ackleys and I just keep reading about how effective the 40 grains are if the velocity is up. Any comments??? Cris

<Big Stick>
posted
I've got 223AI's in 20",22",23" and 24" long tubes. They range from a S/S Model Seven based lightweight,to an 18lb Bag Queen and I love them all and am planning another.

My favorite projectile is the 50gr V-Max and even the shortest tube will eclipse 3700fps with them and it is a Holy Terror on most everything a guy would care to point it at.

The 50's do a nice job in trajectory,wind and retained velocity and I guess that is why they are my "meat and taters" load of choice. Plus that bullet seems to shoot itself and bugholes come easily.

For visual satisfaction via scattering vermin chunks,the 40's outta a 1-12" or 10" twist are down right awesome. Shit really flies and I dig that.

But the 50's have more muscle and I'd lean on them for Dogs,as I think they are slightly less frangible and better at crunching a little bone enroute to vitals.

Though I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either,I'd give 50's the nod.

Your mileage may vary...............

<cris284w>
posted
Big Stick, thanks for the comments. My first Coyote hunting trip was in South Dokota several years ago and I used a 50 gr. v-max and H-335. The temp. was 30 below and I remember shooting a wounded dog at about 40yds. 3 or 4 times in the chest and he just didn't want to die. I later found that my velocity was way down and I'm sure that had something to do with the affect that I expereinced. Recently I've been using Benchmark(a stable powder) with 50 gr. bullets and it is very accurate and I can get about 3650 fps out of a 22" barrel. I still use H-335 for all of my P. dog hunting. Thanks again for your comments...Cris

<cris284w>
posted
I also have a S.S. Model 7 except I put a new barrel on it and finished it off at 21". Would you mind telling me what you are using to get 3700 fps? I like that a lot!!! Cris

<Big Stick>
posted
H-335 coupled with a moly 50gr V-Max,will grant 3700fps + easily. There is less than 70fps difference between my 24" and my 20" tubes with both 40's and 50's.

Pards have 223AI's running from 20" to 26" and most seem to think that 22" or so is all you need to get the goody out of the cartridge and I'd concur. We field over a dozen 223AI's now,as it is pretty hard NOT to like the little bastard.

My next one is going in a black/white swirled McMillan A5 and wear a pretty heavy barrel 21"-ish long tube(PacNor). I'll twist it 12" and poke Badger top and bottom metal on it,as well as a big lug,as I like the fluid looks of the receiver/barrel juncture.

Am thinking seriously about poking a Leupold MK IV M1 10x on top and leaning again on the 50gr V-Max more or less expressly.

It is far and away my favorite .224" centerfire and I'm guilty of having a little of everything........................

<cris284w>
posted
Big Stick--Well, I like it a lot also. I got rid of my 22-250's because I liked it so much. My next Caliber up is the 6BR and I use the 58 Gr. v-max in it and I like it very much. But most of my shooting is with the .223 AI. Do you remember how much H-335 you used to get 3700 fps? I hate to keep badgering you but I would really appreciate a little more guidance here...Cris

<Big Stick>
posted
I shoot 30.0grs of H-335,in Commercial R/P hulls(got a good deal on 5000 of 'em) with CCI 400's and 50gr V-Max(my moly) kissin' the rifling. That is the load I shoot in all my barrels,with just minute seating depth differences.

I've got over 6000rds of that load through those barrels and as mentioned prior,I'm pretty sweet on the combo.

I shoot a bunch of AA-2200 for case forming with 50gr bulk R/P SP's and HP's. I've yet to lose a case in forming and am sitting on close to 3000 formed hulls now(though not all via the AA-2200). my 32lbs of AA-2200 burns a smidge slower than H-335 and is very good stuff IMHO and I wish I could find more!

I retired my 22-250's,22-250AI's,Swifts and both my CHeetah Mach Ones. If the 223AI won't do it,I'm looking to grab a 243AI,25-284,25-06,25-06AI or a 257Wby. Though I shoot a lot of 7-08 too and of course 308.

I'd like to get Steve Timm drunk on his lips while eating a steak dinner,as payment for printing his thoughts on the 223AI in VH. It is everything he related and more.

What a kick ass cartridge.......................

<cris284w>
posted
Big Stick, Thank you very much...thats what I needed. About Steve Timm, thats where I first heard of the 223AI and I have followed his articles on the 223AI and his comments have always been very helpful. Thanks again for your help...I have a couple of .243 AI's and use them mostly for long range groundhog hunting with the 65 gr. v-max in one and the 70 gr. Nosler B.Tip in the other...thanks again...Cris

<Big Stick>
posted
Be curious to hear your findings,regarding Dog Medicine.

Regards.............

<cris284w>
posted
I'll keep you posted..I am leaving next Friday (30th) for South Dokota P. Dog hunting and will be back around the 10th of June. I won't get to do any Coyote Hunting until late winter or early next year in Jan. or Feb. I am going to try the.223AI again and I'll let you know how it works out. I'm sure I'll probably use Benchmark with the 50 gr. bullets in the cold climates. Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions..Cris

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going nuts reading your thread guys! I am still waiting for my .223AI to come back from the shop. A month and change feels soooo long during varmint season. My .25-06 just flat-out costs too much to shoot at PDs all day and I can't stand the idea of burning the throat out of my Sendero. Bsitck, nice to get an idea of what charge I can expect to be able to use when I finally get it back. Had too much time to wait... Couple hundred fireforming rounds loaded and new brass prepped to load more.

Posts: 61 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
'duster,

The waiting IS the hardest part,though the wait will be worth it.

She'll perform to her billing,don't sweat that...................

<cris284w>
posted
Dog Duster, the information listed by Big Stick is very close to what I have found..I usually use 30.1 Grs. of H-335 with 40 gr. Moly Coated bullets and have found that to be very safe even in very hot weather. He gave you the 50 gr. load but about 29.5 grs. of H-335 is as high as I have gone..I know that is safe and if B/S says higher is OK, then I'm sure it is. Keep us posted with what you end up with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the AI case feed? I have a M700 all squared and trued with a 24in. #5 Hart barrel.
The rifle shoots in the .3s &.4s (I am not a good bench shot) and have been interested in the AI but held off because the gun is shooting and functioning so well. What do you think. Pete

PS--Sounds like this round just about replaces the 22/250.

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
<cris284w>
posted
Pete, To be honest, I have 3 .223AI's and 2 of them feed perfect, 1 feeds OK. Two (2) are Rem. 700's and one is a Model 7 Rem. All 3 were chambered with the same reamer. The Model 7 Rem and one of the 700's feed just great. The diameter at the shoulder of my AI's is .369. I am not positive about this, but I've been told: the bullet needs to be entering the chamber when the case pops out of the magazine in order for it to feed properly. My OAL is 2.310 for the 40 gr. and that works fine. It is just a wonderful little cartridge. Cris284w

one of us
posted Hide Post
I finally Got it! Picked up my prize today from the shop. Hope to go out tomorrow and do some fireforming. I'm a little worried about my crown. Looks like it got a little mushroomed when they put a center in it to flute the bbl. I'll just have to wait and see how it shoots though. If it doesn't I guess I'll have a chance to try an 11 deg crown. Thanks for the more specific charge wt. w/ H335. It is one of my fav powders topped with a 50 gr Blitzking. I was wondering how much I'd be able to shove in this thing. I'll let you know when I get some chrono and accuracy data. Thanks guys.

Dog-duster

Posts: 61 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys, Does anyone do the .222mag improved? Is there any possibility it might be a tad better then the .223AI? Mine pushes the 40 Berger MEF at 4100'/sec with 33 grains of H335. Mine is about a 23 inch Hart bbl and was rechambered from a .223. If you haven't rechambered your .223 yet, consider this improved caliber. Michael

Posts: 21 | Location: Missoula, Montana 59802 | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cris284W:

Give Benchmark a try. If is not affected by the temp and it gives max velocity and accuracy out of my 223s for 40 and 45 grain bullets. I am using 28 grains in my 223s.

The ackley version you will have to use some kentucky windage on the loading scale, but at 28 on the 223 it is pretty much at 100 %. Its accuracy declines when the load density declines.

I think Nosler's manual lists it in a 223, with a velocity at 3800 plus, so in the Ackley, I am sure 3900 fps is Duck Soup! [Wink] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Seafire's right. Benchmark is the way to go!

std 223 I use 24g with 69g Sierra's or 70g Bergers

26g and up with 55's. Its really stable.

PS - its good in the 308 too, for target or hunting loads - and will burn well on std primers.

Posts: 22 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote