New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornet and 40gn Nosler BT
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have noticed that the 40gn Nosler BT has a very high B.C. of .221 and would like to try it in my new CZ 527 . Anyone had experience with this projectile on smallish varmints eg. foxes and rabbits ? Does it open up quickly enough at modest Hornet velocities ?
Will shoot a lot flatter over 250 yards than the 35 gn V Max according to my ballistic program .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in my K hornets it works really well, opening up large cavities in a crats interior. if you use lil gun for powder you'll increase your hornet velocity enough to not be modest anymore

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will this bullet work with the cz mag I have heard it is to long.....hence I use the 45 gr sierra .224 which was made for the hornet I think.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The grain Ballistic tip will open up, right down to about 1400 fps! Even tho it is a long bullet for its size, I have a few acquiantences who load it in hornets using Lil Gun.. and even tho, they seat it down in the case, the velocity isn't suffering....

since I just download a 223 to Hornet specs, I don't really have the need for one... but I have had a few quys ask my 2 cents worth since they know I handload and play with different powders a lot....

The 40 grain BT is the choice of several K Hornet and 218 Bee (single shot) shooters I know....

As far as the 35 grain V Max... It amazes me how much "more" bullet one gets with the extra 5 grains in most of the varmint 40 grain bullets...

For cheap and accurate and explosive don't over look the 40 grain HP from Sierra!

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Will this bullet work with the cz mag I have heard it is to long.....hence I use the 45 gr sierra .224 which was made for the hornet I think.

The 40 grain Ballistic Tip is outstanding in all ways in my (greatly modified) Ruger 77/22H chambered for K-Hornet. It IS too long for the magazine, but is so good that I'm pleased to shoot it single-shot for prairie dogs and targets. When I need a bullet that will feed from the magazine, the 45 grain Sierra SS is hard to beat in my gun.

I don't know how the CZ magazine compares to the Ruger, but if you can accept single-loading the B.T. is a good choice.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not gonna fit in my CZ magazine and I can't be bothered single loading this little gun . Bummer .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can easily modify the magazine to accept the longer OAL Nosler or the Sierra Blitz which I prefer. All you have to do is dis-assemble the magazine and file or sand off part of the plastic spacer. About a fifteen minute operation.
Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All of my Hornets have been single shots, never pondered the OAL issue beyond answering how long I could load it. My recent rendition is a #1 and when teamed with the 40 grain VMAX or Ballistic Tip and Li'l Gun I get very high velocity though the ES is abysmal. Tried every thing to make that work out and eventually went back to the Hornady 45 gr. Hornet bullet. Well, 7's at 3200+ fps ain't bad. I've read comments from others with similar experience, and as many or more that have had no problem with LG and light bullets. Hodgdon's load data for LG in the K-Hornet(forgot to mention that) did not jive with my experience, I reached velocities in excess of 3400 fps with the 40 VMAX before getting spooked a little. Their tech rep. told me bewildered and not to worry, "You can't put too much LG in a Hornet or K-Hornet case." I remain a little skeptical about that.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crowrifle:
You can easily modify the magazine to accept the longer OAL Nosler or the Sierra Blitz which I prefer. All you have to do is dis-assemble the magazine and file or sand off part of the plastic spacer. About a fifteen minute operation.
Good luck.

Crow rifle how much do you need to file off or can you just remove it all together.

It took a bit of stuffing about to get a accurate load I am loathe to start stuffing about, I mean for the ranges the hornet works how much difference is there really between the 40 or 45 gr sierra hornet bullets and the nos BT in a 22/250 it would be a different story.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC ,
You would be surprised how much difference 70 points of BC makes to trajectory and retained energy at 200 metres . I plugged the figures into an external ballistics program . The next best thing would be the 45gn Hornady Hornet bullet . That is my fall back position .
Already bought the Noslers and would like to try them .

Crowrifle ,
No problems with feeding after this mod. to the magazine ?
Why do you prefer the Sierra over the Nosler ?

Wilbur Smith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bushchook,

are you doing the mod on your hornet mag ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC ,
My rifle is currently at the gunsmith .
I'm having it pillar and glass bedded , trigger job and he is going to play with the magazine . He thinks he can probably do something . Overall length with the 40gn Nosler will be minimum 47mm . Factory loaded Winchester HP rounds were about 43.5mm and didn't appear to be a lot of extra room in the mag . First priority is good feed . I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks .

Wilbur Smith

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
Just pull the pins holding it togather. I used a Dremel tool and a sanding disc to remove the unwanted plastic. Re-assemble and you are good to go. Since then I had a friend make me a new spacer from aluminum to meet my specs. It improved the feeding.

If you remove the spacer the magazine will not function correctly.

BC, I prefer the Sierra because it is a bit more accurate and seems to be more explosive in its performance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Crowrifle ,
I'll try some Sierras next time round .
Does the Hornet case rim catch in the gap between mag spacer and follower after mods ?

Wilbur Smith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks I have found that little sirra 45 gr spitzer actually is a tough little bullet It managed to penetrate through the spine at about 70-80yards on large grassy. Through the chest and out the back of the spine with a golf ball sized hole. Death was instant.

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Their tech rep. told me and not to worry, "You can't put too much LG in a Hornet or K-Hornet case." I remain a little skeptical about that.

As do I. 40gr. V-max and 13gr of Lil Gun has been my magic load in my CZ K-Hornet and 12.5gr in my regular Hornet.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perforator:
quote:
Their tech rep. told me and not to worry, "You can't put too much LG in a Hornet or K-Hornet case." I remain a little skeptical about that.

As do I. 40gr. V-max and 13gr of Lil Gun has been my magic load in my CZ K-Hornet and 12.5gr in my regular Hornet.

I just finished loading 150 rounds of standard Hornets with the 40 gr VMax and 13 grs of Lilgun...fills it to within .020 of the top,,,I don't think you could fit any more than another 1/2 grain in...which I'm sure it would handle.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
That's pretty full. The K-Hornet gives you a little more room for about another grain or so. Give us an update on how those loads shoot.

Good Luck,

Perf.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot about 500 rounds(on my second pound of LilGun) of this load already. I have the two best 100 meter groups in front of me, 5 shots each. .716" and .798". Average is about an inch.Velocity is an even 3000 out of the 24" M77.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote