New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neat New Model Ruger 10/22
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was out on the west coast (USA) the past 12 days and did Gun Shows in Portland, Oregon and Puyallup, Washington as well as countless Gunshop visits. While in Portland my trading partner and I ran across a new model Ruger 10/22 that neither of us had seen in person or in a catalog. It was a stainless action model with a stainless factory barrel that was 22" long! The barrel was the sporter size and had the normal blued sights on it. In addition this stainless 10/22 had the deluxe checkered wood stock on it! Anyway it was a great looking little Rifle and everyone that saw it once we displayed it at a Gunshow were favorably impressed. My trading partner had originally wanted just any stainless 10/22 to build a custom heavy barrel Varmint Rifle on. He already had an expensive Volqhuartsen trigger package for the project Rifle and a Hogue stock in hand. He had a heavy replacement barrel in mind for the project also. He is now going to try the 22" barrel for accuracy and if it shoots he will keep it.
The asking price at Wal-Mart was $214.00 (no tax) and I was very tempted to try one myself! I am dealing on a Ruger heavy barrel 17 HMR right now so I better hold off.
The pleasing looks of the new Model Ruger 10/22 was very much a people stopper and many folks began conversations regarding the most efficient length barrel for todays higher performing 22 Long Rifle cartridges. Some folks maintained that most 22 LR cartridges actually start slowing down after 18 inches of travel in a barrel (?). I do not know how someone would measure this contention though.
Deluxe checkered wood, 22" stainless sporter weight barrel and the stainless colored finished action be sure and take a look at one if you have a Wal-Mart in your area!
Let me know what your thoughts are on the 22" barrel length for the 22 Long Rifle!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot over a chronograph through progressively longer barrels until the velocity dropps off. You will then have the maximum effective barrel length. (as far as velocity is concerned.

It is commonly thought that the ideal barrel is 18.5" long.

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote