New
Find
Notify
Tools

Howling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
New to Coyote calling and I am hearing very different opinions on howling. Watching the Sceery tapes they say mix the howls with distress calls this time of year (mating, territorial, etc.). I also know one hunter that howls at any time of the day. All others I have talked to say don't howl much after sunrise or much before sunset (guess they use howl to locate). I try to hunt from first light to late morning, then might try again last 1.5hrs of sunlight. Any help would be appreciated.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've howled in coyotes at all times during the day. Its espeicially effective this time of year when the rutting season is going on as it invokes a territorial response. Its also effective around cows that are calving throughout the day.
A coyote may or may not howl back at you so dont take silence as a sign that nothing heard your howl, Give your stand a good chance to produce before you get up and move and you should be able to make it work.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Deke,

Ditto to what Holdem said. Saturday at about 1pm I had 2 different coyotes howl back in response to my howling.
Fred

Posts: 37 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing that I learned the hard way a week or so ago that I thougth I'd pass along for what its worth. If you have a coyote or a pair coming in to your howl sit still and let them come. Whatever you do resist the temptation to speed things up a little by blowing on your distress call. A buddy and I were out on a stand and had 2 coming in and he didn't see them. He started on a distress call and that stopped everything cold. They both sat down and started barking at us and never got anywhere near close enough for a shot with the artillery that we were holding.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We tried our first night hunt about 2 weeks ago. It was a full moon with snow on the ground, and really windy out. We tried the distress calls with no luck, and then started howling. This was my first experience with howling, and it was a great one. It was nice to hear the yotes respond so I could get prepared for the shot. Two came hot footin' it into our set up, and I missed them both. Two things I learned from thise experience are howling works well, and strictly buckshot after dark. Happy hunting.