New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington XR-100 Prices
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just returned from a long work detail out on the west coast. In my travels I had occassion to visit about 15 Gunshops and one Gunshow. I was looking for an XR-100 in 204 Remington. I found several XR-100's but none in 204 Ruger. They were either 223's or 22-250's! I just missed a 204 XR-100 at the Missoula Gunshow Sunday April 17th - it sold for $680.00 and the seller said if I paid him cash the next one he got in would be mine. I saw XR-100's from $699.00 up to $733.00 in shops - but like I said none in 204 Ruger.
I have my name on a list at two different places and hope to have one within the month.
LOTS of interest and good reports on the 204 every where I went!
No 204 brass seen anywhere in my travels. I did talk to my custom Riflesmith friend in Renton, Washington and he has a brand new 204 Ruger reamer and has orders for 2 custom 204's so far!
Any recent word on prices of the XR-100's in your neck-o-the-woods?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my dealer here was at 675 & is supposed to have 2 204's coming in this week - sure do like mine

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butchbloc: Thanks for the price check there on the XR's!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what the prices of XR-100's are going to be. I simply do not know of a store in Central California that has even had one in stock, in any caliber.

I think I want one too, but would sure like to actually handle one. My reservation is that thumb hole stock. It looks cool, but I am not sure I would like it.

Anyway, if I every see one for sale, I will let you know what it was going for.

R F

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Picked one up for $725 in .22-250 and local gun shop had one in the 204 for about the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
XR-100's $685.00 + actual shipping to your FFL.

Bill

Posts: 70 | Location: Sw of Dodge City | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SwKs, You get the email about the Sierra .204's??? GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHD, Yes I did, Thanks, Bill

Posts: 70 | Location: Sw of Dodge City | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Here's One on GunBroker beer

There don't seem to be and shortages of them on the gun auction sites... Some would rather buy locally but I buy almost exclusively over the net. thumb

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try www.rrarms.com They had a bunch XR's in .204, $661 I think.

Posts: 97 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ohlsen: I very much appreciate your link to the rrarms site. The price of $661.90 is about the lowest I have seen so far.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad I could be of help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ohlsen: I pulled many strings and called in some favors and I got an XR-100 for $659.00 (no tax!). I was thrilled. And I am really impressed with the Rifle so far. I will hopefully be shooting it tomorrow!
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I ask why one would buy a single xr-100 in any cal over the same in rems 700 bolt repeater ??

Is there any advantages ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i have a rx100.it shots 1/4 groups at 100yrd.using 40 or 35 gr beger bullets.have not had a chance to shoot vermnet yet.but sure like the gun.the stock is alsome.i have a custom 22br that was built on a xp100 action that shoots the same.the only diff. is i spent 3000 on it.hahahah.700 on the rx100.well you live and learn.

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
PC you ask a great question, I have no idea why anyone would want a single shot rifle like this, I guess some people claim the action is stiffer or something, heck might as well just get a handi rifle, I think the CZ varmint in 204 is way more rifle for the money heck you could put a decent peice of glass on it for what you are paying for that remmy single shot, plus the thing is too heavy to carry around

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC: I have many Varmint Rifles that are single shot only actions! Yes, as a general rule they are more accurate and they are safer! Two excellent reasons for going single shot in my opinion. Especially for Colony Varminting the single shot is no hinderance at all and again I actually prefer them for the above reasons and some others.
I just adjusted my new Remington XR-100's trigger from an excellent, consistent and crisp pull of 48 ounces down to an excellent, consistent and crisp 32 ounces! I may go down to the factory suggested minimum pull weight of 24 ounces later on during barrel break in and load testing.
Just mulling it over in my mind I think I have 11 or 12 single shot Varminters in Remington 40X configuration, Sako's and Ruger #1's - and additionally I also had a custom Varmint Rifle made some years ago on a Remington XP-100 action. They all serve me well especially well, like I mentioned in the Colony Varmint fields. One of my two all time favorite Coyote Rifles though is a Remington 40XB-KS in 220 Swift and it is the single shot model also! I have a mini-bandelero thing on the side of its butt stock that holds about 6 rounds in its elastic loops. This Rifle reloads VERY quickly when need be. Again no hinderance of note at all in this rigs field performance as a single shot!

Williamhill: I hope my XR-100 shoots half as well as yours does! Yes when I had a custom Rifle built on an XP-100 action in 6mm Remington Bench Rest caliber I spent way way more dollars than I did for this new XR-100!!!
And those were 1997 dollars!

Cummins Cowboy: In my experience more weight in a Varmint Rifle is a distinct advantage over less weight! I much prefer a 12 pound+ Varminter to a 9 pounder! They shoot better is the main reason and the mass gives an added advantage in maintaining a steadier sight picture under field set up conditions!
I am large tall person and carrying a couple extra pounds afield in ones Rifle is effort I hardly notice and again feel the heavier Rifles gives me a distinct advantage when squeezing the trigger afield!
My two other Varminters in 204 Ruger caliber (a Ruger 77 V/T and a Remington 700 VLS) have shot right along side three models of CZ Rifles in 204 caliber so far this year and my two Rifles left nothing to be desired from them at all! And besides the Ruger and the Remington looked MUCH better while in action! And the CZ's are further hampered by short barrels (21.9" or 24" options) along with the lighter weight and distinctly queer looking cheap magazine hanging down from the stock! The 204 Ruger is one caliber that does further distinguish itself with a 26"+ barrel (free with velocity!).
My CZ catalog shows the CZ prestige MSRP at $880.00 and the CZ 527 Laminate at $597.00. I defintiely think the few extra dollars (over the CZ Varmint Laminate) for the Remington XR-100 was money well invested!
Long live the 204!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys: By the way in my travels during the last 17 days I came across two different CZ 527's in caliber 204 Ruger that were stocked in beautiful and blazingly white Maple wood! They were just gorgeous and apparently were part of a limited run of CZ 527's in 204 to be stocked in the white Maple wood!
They were gorgeous that is - until one inserted the distinctly queer and unattractive hang down clip magazine into the action! Then the Rifles became so blah that they lost all appeal to me!
To each their own appearance wise I guess! I do know this that those folks (including many of my close firends) with CZ's about universally are happy with them and the way they shoot!
Good for them.
Long live the 204!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the xr-100 22-250 would shoot better than my 700 vssf 22-2250 ??

I think I may soon get a cz 550 laminate in .308 and it has a flat mag at the bottom it does not protrude, they use this action for there 22/250 as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy, just tell them repeaters are for guys who don't connect with the first shot, that's why they need another and another, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ohlsen: Good point there!
I try not to antagonize to many people in any one week so I will leave your comments to suffice for now.
Long live "Big Green"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
I wonder if the xr-100 22-250 would shoot better than my 700 vssf 22-2250 ??

I've been shooting Winchester .22-250 45gr. factory loads and best 5 shot group was under one inch, ho-hum. Today my son wanted to shoot his .22 mag. so we loaded up the truck and I decided to shoot some Federal 55gr. Classics through the XR. This was not a paticularly good day to shoot because of wind and I couldn't settle in. Well was I pleasantly surprized with the 55s and .428" 5 shot group with average velocity of 3561 fps. This is out of the box rifle, cleaned, scope mounted, sighted in, and all factory ammo. I have high hopes when I tune the trigger and loads for this rifle. Not sure that will shoot better than your 700 VSSF, but I believe it does shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting Winchester .22-250 45gr. factory loads and best 5 shot group was under one inch, ho-hum. Today my son wanted to shoot his .22 mag. so we loaded up the truck and I decided to shoot some Federal 55gr. Classics through the XR. This was not a paticularly good day to shoot because of wind and I couldn't settle in. Well was I pleasantly surprized with the 55s and .428" 5 shot group with average velocity of 3561 fps. This is out of the box rifle, cleaned, scope mounted, sighted in, and all factory ammo. I have high hopes when I tune the trigger and loads for this rifle. Not sure that will shoot better than your 700 VSSF, but I believe it does shoot.[/QUOTE]

Thnks folks just working out if I should trade my vssf if there that much better !!

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
PC, I would think your VSSF would shoot with the right loads or possibly trigger work and stock work. I'm not seeing reports on the .22-250 or the .223 so wouldn't be so quick to trade rifles. From what I've read on various forums the XR-100 in the .204 is a shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks QR,

my vssf shoots the winchester supreme factory 50 gr silver ballistic tips very well, well enough that I have not bothered finding a load for it yet, just thought that this might poo all over my vssf and if it did well everything is up for grabs hey Big Grin