Notify
Tools

Re: Another 17 HMR Convert!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
VG,

Ditto here on the 17HMR rifles.

I live out on the plains of SW Kansas and work Part time in a Gunshop(one ofthe best stocked in this part of the state).

IMHO,the only folks who don't like the 17HMR are those who have not shot it enough to give it a chance.The round is amazing.

I have noticed since both the guns and ammo have become consantantly available,the 17HMR has just about KILLED sales of .22mag rifles around here.We sell more 17HMR rifles than any single chambering.The guns sell so quick ,we still can't keep 'em in stock and the ammo keeps right along with .22mags sales.

We have had three VERY nice .22mag rifles at near wholesale cost in the rack for almost a year and can't sell 'em.And yes, we have SURE tried as we would like to have that money tied up in something that SELLS quickly-Like a good 17 HMR rifle!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG,

ANY round that can kill a Badger at that range,can also do in a G'Hog,I should think!

As to the accuracy,wind drift and trajectory of a 17HMR VS a .22mag,a recent experience with a friend illustrates my point.

This guy is a trained gunsmith(Denver school)but now works as an Auto tech.About 20 years ago,he bought a Marlin 783 tube fed .22mag for his Dad(who's a rancher) and once he got the gun,went over it completely.He recrowned the muzzle,tuned the trigger,bedded the action and lapped the bore.Once he was done, the gun would shoot several different loads inside 1MOA,with the best stuff shooting about 3/4" on a good day.Pretty good for an inexpensive .22mag and about the most accurate one he'd heard of up until that time.During that last twenty years,that rifle is somewhat of a legend within their familly(all riflemen) and the gun has killed pickup load of stuff.

Fast forward twenty years to about 60days ago.We were at a local range shooting various rifles and I hauled out a few rimfires.One was my trusty ol' Marlin 17VS.Anyhow,we start shooting the 17HMR and I shot a nice 5/8" five shot group at 100 yards right off the bat.Nothing unusual for that rifle.If there had NOT been a slight crosswind,the groupd would have been even smaller!

Anyway, my friend was impresssed.He gave it a try and did the same thing.The gun was sighted 3" high at 100 yards so I said ,lets go out to the steel plates at 180yards,He was still shooting and after smacking the plates DEAD CENTER five times in a row,he just pushed his ball cap back and said,"DAMN,I'm going to have to get one of these!"

For the grand finale,I really waited oin the wind a bit and shot a beautiful 5 shot group that was about.445" on centers at 100yards.About the same size groups as my carefully handloaded m700 VLS in 22-250 was doing that same day!

Needless to say,my friend was impressed.He could not believe that my rifle, which was basically right out of the box ,except for trigger tuning, could shoot that well!

Later ,as we drove back to town ,I asked him if he thought he'd like to shoot his dad's .22mag against my 17HMR out at 180yards for groups.After thinking a bit he scowled and said "HELL NO-Are you NUTS?"

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, Same as my experience here in VA!! Once they try them they're hooked!!!
And the next big thing will be when they get to witness the .204 exploits!! They'll want one of them too! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote