THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    So if you had to buy a 17HMR....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So if you had to buy a 17HMR....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted
What would you choose from the current offerings?

I have a single-shot and really like the caliber, but am ready for either a bolt or semi-auto.

I have dust gathering on my 22's because I like the 17 so much.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Well, this is probably the wrong forum (should be small caliber forum) but I figure I have more in common with this bunch than with the paper punchers. Cool

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Get a bolt rifle like the CZ 453 American

17 HMR ammo ain't cheap enough for a semi-auto Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you state you're not a "paper puncher" any of the production BA's will serve you well. In fact I've heard the lower priced offerings (Marlin, Savage) typically out perform some of the more expensive rifles. Don't take this as a hard fact but I've heard it too many times to be ignored. The HMR is one of the most fun firearms I've ever shot.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 452 American and am very happy with it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a Volquartsen. I’m not to happy yet with the accuracy with it to date. I did get some ½ in, groups a 100 yard but haven’t been able to reproduce this since that day. But to be fair the other days I went out it was fairly windy. So I really haven’t given it much of a chance.

Posts: 24 | Location: Des Moines, IA | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 452, it's a good choice. CZ has that rifle now with a set trigger- better choice.

the marlins and savages get high marks from their owners, the savage is available with accu-trigger now, too.

higher up from the CZ on the fondle scale is an anschutz.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ or Anschutz are pretty much top of the line.

Marlin and Savages seem to shoot as well with a little fine tuning and are cheaper but also look cheaper.

I have a Marlin 917 bolt gun. Free floated barrel and fitted a Rifle Basix trigger kit which lightened pull and is now a nice crips 2lb trigger. I also shortened mine to 18" and fitted a silencer which are an over the counter purchase here.

Shortening barrel didnt affect velocity.

First day out with first box of ammo I shot 50 metre (say 56 yards) 5 shot groups of .300" to .430" and thats lying on the ground and using a front sandbag only. I also shot a fly that was stupid emnough to land on the target.

I reckon with a better scope on a bench with both sandbags and once rifle has settled down it will do almost that at 100 metres. Not bad for a budget outfit!

Have a look at www.rimfirecentral.com

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be happy with any of the choices out there! I've either owned or put together for customers 31 of the 17HMR's including Marlin 17VS, 917VS, 17V, Savage 93's, 597Rem, NEF, Ruger, CZ, (probably leaving something out here)the one thing that sstands out is the fact that each and every one of them, even the semi-auto 597 ALL did sub 1" groups at 100 yards! I think for the money and shooting fun, it's hard to beat the Marlins and Savages! When a rimfire will consistently shoot 1" or less at 200 yards it is a fun gun!! Put good glass on it because it deserves it! The Nikon 4.5-14 Buckmasters is my favorite for them! The 6-18 BSA Sweet 17 has worked well on 3 of them! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger 77/17 that would soometimes put the first shot near the point of aim, then distribute the rest like I threw a handful of nails downrange- did all kinda things to it, finally gave it away.

it liked to keyhole, too.

I'd never buy another one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the savage 93R and it don't shoot groups either it just throws them,I have a leupold 4x12 scope on it and the trigger came set on 3 lbs.My buddie and I shoot at clay birds at 2 and 300 yds sometimes we hit them sometimes miss them a mile.He has the nef and it shoots better than my savage.Any susgestions on how to make it shoot better???

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tin can and owensby, you both need to head over to www.rimfirecentral.com and see what others are doing with their rimfires.

Both of you sound like you have bedding issues assuming your scopes are in good condition and in good solid mounts.

Start by ensuring barrels are free floating, forget dollar bill clearance, you need a thick business card sized gap. Thats easy!

If that doesnt help glass bed it properly.

Having a good clean muzzle crown also helps. Minimal cost at a good gunsmith or can do it yourself.

Finally dont expect to do well in heavy wind with a 17gn bullet.

There are opinions that seem to be polarised on either never cleaning the barrel or cleaning it a lot. Copper fouling isnt a major problem but powder fouling still needs to be cleaned out. Barrels seem to like being fouled with a few shots befre giving best accuracy.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at a Cooper 57 M LVT.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bolt action.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO best bang for the buck is a CZ. Nice wood, nice blueing. looks a rifle. shoot extremely well. I have a 17MK2 that is an absolute tack driver. Talley rings and a luepold scope. trigger is adjustable on the 452. Eric Brooks makes a trigger kit that is fantastic. They run a whooping $14. To do any better IMHO you would have to step up to an Anshultz. I got a 452 for under $300 out the door. I doubt I will look any further than CZ for a rimfire.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well while owning 4 different rifles in 17 HMR.. I just can't warm up to the round... it is just too damn spendy to shoot if you are a handloader.. and it does less...

I have a Ruger 77 heavy barrel in it, 2 Marlin with Stainless barrels and laminate stocks... and one New England Handirifle in it..

I will keep the New England, but I am going to trade off the other 3...at least as a single shot for a truck gun it is okay as a round...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OWENSBY-have you tried all the different kinds of ammo, I have Two Savage 93s one pre accutrigger and one accutrigger thumbhole. The older savage will shoot any of the 20 grainers good and the only 17 grain load it will shoot is the Hornady V-max. My new thumbhole wont group any of the 20 grainers at 3 inches at 50 yards that is terrible!!!,but it will shoot Winchester 17 grainers into one hole at 50 and about an inch group at 100. Im betting your gun will shoot great when you find the right ammo. And for the first question, buy a savage or a marlin.

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a Marlin magazine feed bolt action bull barrel HMR for 3 years.

It will be left home on the next sage rat trip.
The 223 and 22 rimfire will be in the car.

As Seafire said, too much $ for too little power.

What I really don't like about my 17 is the trouble feeding single shot on top of a magazine with a tiny cartridge.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I got talked into the .17HMR by my hunting buddy. We both bought the Savage 93s with the heavy barrel and hardwood stock. His in right hand, mine a lefty. Both shoot extremely well.
What's interesting is that, although we have several custom rifles each, the Savages shoot great and we're happy with them.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the CZ's. I have a savage too. It does not chamber the tnt's. It does not shoot them either. It chambers the Hornady, and rems with the v-max fine, and shoots them into tiny clusters. I have only taken the savage on 1 rat shoot. It works, but I shoot the cz almost exclusively. Its a much nicer gun. I have 2 other friends with feeding issues with their savage 93's.
I was thinking hard on a cooper, but I only need M O Sage rat. The cooper I get will be in .223.
I have to agree with seafire when it comes to economy, and performance with the .223, and other small centerfires. I broke one out on my last rat shoot loaded with 50gr tnt's...lol! Now I'm back in the reloading room...ahhhh!
.17HMR'S are expensive, but I sure like um.
I have'nt heard of a real lemon yet with a savage, or a marlin. The price is going up on the marlins, and you still have to replace that trigger. The savage is more gun for the money in imo.

Posts: 53 | Location: Bothell, Wa. | Registered: 03 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a NEF 17HMR before getting into small-bore centerfires. It's a fun round, no recoil, and a real blast to shoot. But when I discovered the .223 and 22-250 and reloaded for them, I never looked back. They're both as accurate as the 17, and I can reload the .223 for the same or less cost, and the 22-250 is't a whole lot different. The 17 rarely gets used any more, except for areas in AZ that are rimfire-only hunting.

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kiwi Vince-

I got a handle at RFC Cool

I reallly tried everything with the Ruger and got nowhere. I'm afraid it was just a lemon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tin can, only Ruger I have ever owned is a 10-22 which I won in a raffle at a gun club.

I guess I shouldnt look a gift horse in the mouth but I am glad I didnt pay any $$$ for it and am pretty disappointed with it. As it came from shop brand new: Feeding unreliable, magazines seemed to jam in stock, rounds would hang in the magazine, accuracy mediocre.

I have overcome most things but for the reputation Ruger has it should have been better.

I actually wonder if it was a warranty return and a lemon that the shop donated for the prize?

But like you I think its a lemon and am not spending any more time or money on it. Just havent got around to getting rid of it.

If you are looking for a budget .17 that works better than you would expect look at the Marlin 917. I cant really fault mine for the price and am astounded at the accuracy. A real happy owner!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The price of 17HMR ammo is getting way out of line. It's just like the freakin' gas prices, once they go up it seems they never come down much.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 452 Varmint with Eric Brooks' trigger kit in it ($15.00, breaks right at a pound). My last serious trip to the range several years ago was on a fair weather day. I shot 9 consecutive 5 shot groups at 100 yards that agg'd a .72. The largest group was a 1.02 and the smallest was in the .4's. To do that with a rim fire that cost $369.00 is to me amazing. To top it off I stumbled into one with this wood.

To say I'm a CZ fan is a huge understatement.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I shouldnt look a gift horse in the mouth but I am glad I didnt pay any $$$ for it and am pretty disappointed with it. As it came from shop brand new: Feeding unreliable, magazines seemed to jam in stock, rounds would hang in the magazine, accuracy mediocre.

man. I have a 10/22 that shot well and reliably, got better when I did the .920 barrel/trigger/stock swaps. maybe you drew a lemon, too, on that 10/22.

well, at least Ruger is inconsistent Big Grin

as to CZ stocks-

many of them have nice wood under the finish they use, seen many redone that were beautiful. CZ stocks can be inconsistent in finish, also. my 452 has nice wood and neat checkering, my 527 has so-so wood, and really amateurish checkering.

posted Hide Post
I have a savage .17 hmr bolt and the feeding from the magazine is terrible - what a pain! It's shoots ok - nothing to get excited about. The trigger needs work as well. hope this helps

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a CZ 452 American for three years and it is an accurate rifle. However, I don't use it much. It's kind of a misfit chambering. It's tears up squirrels or rabbits too bad for having anything left to eat, and it's too small of a round for something like coyotes. Maybe it is ok for crows or groundhogs, but I can't think of many other uses for it. There are far better centerfire chambering for those two varmints. If I want to plink, the 22 Rimfire can't be beat. My 452 sits in the back of the gun safe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Coooper. Just ordered a 57LVT. Have a 57 Classic and its a one hole wonder at 100yds. Want to try some 2000yd target grouping.

Posts: 57 | Location: Leraysville, Pa. | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wow,it's late. That's Cooper and 200 yards.

Posts: 57 | Location: Leraysville, Pa. | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote