New
Find
Notify
Tools

No bounce bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What in the estimable opinion of this forum are the least likely to ricochet bullets to be found in .224?

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Something I just tried due to a possible ban on lead projectiles in one of the areas I hunt were bullets by SinterFire. They're compressed powdered metal bullets that fragment on impact and are supposed to be ricochet free (I believe it).

The 45 gr. ones shot well out of my .222 Remington with pretty minimal load development. I shot 2 coyotes and 1 bobcat with these and had dead critters with no exit wounds. A couple dozen ground squirrels exploded like normal too so I guess they work.

Cost is about $10 for 100 bullets, bout' the same as lead bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting link. I was thinking more along the lines of the standard over the counter bullets like the TNT, Vmax, Btip etc.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
In standard bullets, I've never seen (or heard) the Vmax's ricochet in either the 223 or 22.250.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a strong like for Hornady's SPSXs for that feature.

I am surprised also on how accurate they are in all of my 22 caliber centerfires.

Do an explosive job on rats also.

cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
To minimize ricochet potential, nothing in conventional bullets I have ever tried compares to the Hornady SX bullets. But be aware that 3400-3500 fps is about as fast as you can push them. The Sierra medium velocity Blitz bullets do quite well and would be my second recommendation.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will also have to go with the frangible bullets that are made up of a compressed powdered metal. I found some that are 42 Gr at 3600 FPS and they are extremely deadly on varmints.

TC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vmax, Blitz, SX, TNT, Blitz Kings, Calhoun DHP, all would be a minimum ricochet risk. Nosler BT's are one of the worst due to that solid base. BUT, all can so you need to know what is beyond your target.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used and liked the Hornady SX bullets myself. I think I'll push em fast as they wil go and still hold together out of my 22-250. I am having a hell of a coyote problem and plan to ambush em from the top of my house at night. The ground is soft and I will be shooting at a downward angle at no more than 60 yards so there will be no misses.

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
Watch the jacketed hollow points. They can hit at an angle particularly at long range and whine off every once in a while. I think the lead exposed tip on SX and Blitz bullets are the very best ricochet-free because of the thin jackets. Probably the plastic tip varmint bullets are next although their jacket is thicker than one would expect......

I would like to see a "track record" on these sintered bullets before I use them. Make sure they don't un-sinter while still in the barrel.....

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I've done LOTS of experiments with this since I hunt pastureland surrounded by homes, for the most part. Too, I download a bit using the fastest suitable powders to minimize noise as well.

I tried 'most everything and finally just bought a 17 Rem, which I load with 4227 and Hornady V-Max's.

In .223, the best I found was the 35 gr V-Max but even that still zinged off to parts unknown every once in a while.

YMMV, of course

Redial

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have had very good luck with the 50 grain Hornady V-max bullets.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I havn't woried about it lately as I don't shoot in an area where it's a concern, but when I did the Hornady SPSX worked very well. I tried them in a 14" Contender .223 Rem and a .22-250 with good results.

They came apart when exiting the barrel of my mini-14. I was told by Hornady that the faster twist, &/or rough bore possibly caused it as the velocity was moderate. I don't have a borescope so am not sure about "roughness" but it doesn't feel rough when push through it during cleaning. The AR-15's would also probably have an issue with these as well. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote