Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic Calls
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted
I've killed a number of coyotes over the years, but mainly I've caught them out in the open while I've been driving out in the desert.... I do have a CD of a "dirty dying rabbit", lol, but have never used it....
How long, how loud, how often do you play the CD?

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Generally start off at low volume on the caller that I use. Play it for ~ 45 seconds and then stop for a couple of minutes and repeat twice. I then wait a few minutes and up the volume and repeat again. By the 4th time I'm probably at high volume around 30 minutes into the call.

I have had coyotes come in anywhere from 2 minutes to 60 minutes, depending on conditions (wind etc.)

Some folks leave the call going all the time loud, and that works too, but sometimes it is hard to get them to stop for a shot if you are doing it this way.

By a couple of the calling videos (like Randy anderson) and he explains how he does them.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
My electronic call doesn,t have a remote volume adjustment just start and stop and different calls .... I wonder if a snowshoe hare soundsa more like a cotton tail or jack rabbit ??????????

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm new to this as well and I need to get rid of a few coyotes. How far away do you put the electronic caller?

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's best to have a 50 or 100' extension cord for your speaker, then you don't have to be moving around after you start calling, but 100' or so should be sufficient most of the time.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of folks like the foxpro electronic calls. A bit much for my current budget. Is the primos Power Dogg worth looking at? I tend to trust Randy Anderson calls but the electronic stuff is different. Any advice on more affordable calls?

Posts: 21 | Location: NC | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Build your own.

Check out my posts under "preymaster electronic caller" topic...........

You can make one for about 50-75$. When I say '
make', I mean just buy components and plug them together..........