THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Are there prairie dogs in Nebraska?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there prairie dogs in Nebraska?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Next years 4-H Nationals are in Grand Island, Nebraska. If I make it we usually go prairie dog hunting the last day. Are there in prairie dogs or other varmints around Grand Island? I was told prairie dogs don't live in Nebraska, but I figured they did. Confused

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I just drove through Nebraska from the Wyoming side and do remember seeing prairie dogs right off the freeway along the Platte River and I think it was west of Grand Island but I didn't note the location of the critters as much as that they were by the road.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I certainly hope so, as I'm heading out there for my 5th annual hunt next weekend.We hunt at a friends 12,ooo acre ranch south of Alliance (panhandle).Always seems to be enough dogs to get the barrels warm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler, I do know there are prairie dogs along I-80 between Grand Island and Kearney. Thats about the only place they are there in Central Nebraska. Unfortunately, Grand Island is smack dab in the middle of Corn country and what isn't being farmed has trees or is hilly.

Access may be nearly impossible and there is very little, if any, public land around there.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The plague and poison has reduced the prairie dog population in the area I live.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
plaque and poison has reduced the numbers all around me also!

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha, Ha, Ha. Are you serious? Someone is pulling your leg, about OFF!.

P'dogs are the tree squirrels of the grasslands. No trees so they live in holes in the ground like rats and mice and voles and gophers, and rabbits too for that matter. Rodents. Aerate the soil. One study out of OK actually showed cattle did better on ground with p'dogs than without.

Nebraska? Don't ask. Stupid government/stupid law. Long time ago, 1903 allegedly, the law was passed requiring that all p'dogs be exterminated by 1 Oct. each year. This is obnoxious, costs money, land owners don't like to be told what to do... No one did it regularly, but no one talked about having p'dogs for fear some snitch would get the law to force them to obey... Attitude still around. In the 1990s, the tree huggers wanted to release ferrets, black footed ferrets which only eat p'dogs as food, into a p'dog town. They were raising them in Omaha in a zoo. Endangered, they wanted to rebuild the wild population. No one had any p'dog towns or so they claimed. Law got repealed. Attitude still around. S.S.S."Shoot." "Shovel." and "SHUT UP."

Grand Island is on the east edge of p'dog territory, almost. Alot of farming. Plowing messes up towns bad. Bare ground, pasture, good chance you might find some. Yes, they have cows in Nebraska.

POINT: In Grand Island there is a business named Hornady! Guess what they make? Varmint bullets/ varmint ammunition. You might try making contact with them. Offer to bring some friends and help test the newest and the latest and compare it to the old stuff and ??? I think Steve H. is still in charge. (Joyce, founder, his dad, died in a plane crash, circa 1990.) He is also a "director" of the NRA. He just might know someone who could find you some shooting. MAYBE... (ha, ha). LUCK. Happy trails. (Wish I was going along.)