Find
Notify
Tools

That Thawaack sound?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
Don't always hear it when shooting game, but recently here in Nevada hunting coyotes and using a silencer/suppressor/can/moderator (pick one) the sound is heard more often. Hi velocity varmint bullet with impact just over 100 yards and beyond.

The question is: How often if ever have you heard this when there was a miss involved?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes and no.

Yes I heard the sound and had missed the varmint.

No, the bullet hit a dead tree branch instead.

Posts: 10633 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have heard the miss hit a few times when the ground is muddy.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
The terrain and conditions tend to be very dry here in the Mojave Desert. The shot I'm questioning was in similar if not drier conditions and the brush was extensive. A pair of coyotes came to the call (snowshoe hare distress) if you can believe that. Being distracted by the second yote after the shot which the first yote disappeared instantly (distance to target was 200 -225 yards) and said thawaak was heard by myself and companion. Sight picture looked good of course. I think I lost the first sight line through the yucca's and couldn't find the coyote. Then again could have missed.

Appreciate the responses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen high speed photos of animals just as a bullet is about to exit. The skin bulges out just before the bullet tears the skin and exits. I think that rapid bulging out displaces air creating a sound wave kind of like when beating a drum. I used to wear Lee sonic ear plugs when hunting and the valves in the plugs closed when the rifle went off but had apparently opened by the time the thawaack sound got back to me, so I heard it a lot then but rarely when shooting without using them. I now have a set of electronic earmuffs and think I will try using them deer hunting to see if the results are the same as with the Lee sonic ear plugs.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea to try the muffs... thanks

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
When shooting supersonic bullets through a muffler you can hear a reflected shock wave when the bullet passes by anything that will reflect sound. I have heard multiple bounces from a pole fence - sounds almost like the bullet is generating noise in its travel down range.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost every time a person shoots you will hear the bullet strike something. Critters that are mostly liquid have a different sound (more resonant- hollow) than wet soil or other more solid objects. Longer shots are easier to hear than close up due to muzzle blast. My dad taught me to listen for the sound when I first started hunting, something I passed on to my wife and children when they started.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the process of learning that a 22LR will not reliably kill Wyoming Jackrabbits I heard this sound as CCI Stingers impacted at 125yards out of my UNsuppressed 10/22

After hearing this sound several times I switched to a 223 Remington varminter.

Could no longer hear the sound, but "splatter" and "pink mist" replaced it adequately

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I don't think anything sounds like the thawaack sound when an animal is hit. It makes you giggle and dance a wee bit when that sound comes back to you.

If you heard it my guess is that you did hit the critter but maybe not in a vital spot and perhaps the hair absorbed the blood.

Love that sound.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anybody that has shot prairie dogs has heard it alot

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kugelschlag.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Electronic ear muffs magnify the sound really well!

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We always called that "Meat Pop"!

Posts: 173 | Location: Texas | Registered: 01 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy,
Like that. Requires no interpretation.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet you made a killing shot and
just couldn't find it when looking.
In brush n yucca at times it's heavy and
mighty hard to find the exact spot they
were at when shot. We've lost several that
way.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot lots of sparrows and starlings with an air rifle. I love the sound of a double thump. The first thump is the pellet hitting the bird and the second is the thump when the dead bird hits the ground after falling from a tree or wire. When you hear the second thump you know it was a deadly shot.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wolfhunter 2
posted Hide Post
Hunting coyotes over bait at night in MN my budy and I use 243 win 70 gr nosler BT they make a very good thwack with almost any hit when we are in different blinds and get one we text thwackkkk the other guy nose exactly what that ment. we shot about60 in the lasy 3 years Kevin

Posts: 155 | Location: mn | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolfhunter: using the big bore like that I'll bet you don't save many hides, if you do, you do a lot of sewing up, or take a loss on value.

PaulS:
Sometime for kicks and educational value.
Go down range and have someone you trust fire a couple past you at 20-100 feet or so and you WILL hear that roar, zing, or whine from the bullets.

One time while elk hunting I got back to camp long before the other guys thought I could. After I'd left they went out on a point to sit watching for anything I might kick out. A 6pt bull walked between us and they fired several times. I thought at first Don was playing with me with his pistol til I saw the bull. When I started shooting from camp they thought they'd hit the truck. I had at least five bullets hit within ten feet of me making long cuts in the dirt. Damned dangerous once I realized it wasn't him playing games on me. Folks can get shot that way real easy. That was the last time I hunted with either of them too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote