THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    New Krieger barrel,What caliber????

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Krieger barrel,What caliber????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Several months ago I was looking at the BC's for the 6mm 107 Sierra's and the 105 Bergers and had to order a barrel.So I went with a heavier varmint contour with a 1-8 Twist to finish at 28"..Now I just can't decide which cartridge to go with.The action for this project is a Rem700 Long Action the two calibers I'm tossing around are the 6mm AI and the 6-284..But I'm open to input as to other calibers.
This rifle will be used for long range Rockchucks as we call them out west shots are out to 800yrds at the most maybe further..But most of my shooting is 800yds and under..

Posts: 191 | Location: Pacific Northwest. | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were up to me i would say 6 ackley. i have never been a fan of the 6-284. good luck

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I put together on a lefty Rem 700 long action a 6mm Rem with a 28" 1-8" barrel a couple-few years ago. Dropped it in a McMillan Baker stock and it's now my prone gun for LR highpower.

I shoot mollied 105 A-Max's over IMR4350 at 3200 or so out to 1000 yards with it. The benefits of 244/6mm Rem are available brass, dies and load data, a long case neck, lots of body taper for reliable extraction (imperative for match shooting) and a standard bolt face.

The rifle had originally been my across-the-course gun in .308 so most of the work had been already done.

Good luck with it! It'll become a very enjoyable rig.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
240 GIBBS

Posts: 36 | Location: THE WISCONSIN | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the reamers for both, have done all three and would recommend the 6-284. they are all good, I think you will get better trajectory and velocity with the 6-284. Seeing that you already have the barrel limits your choices but a more resonable caliber for long range varminting and or targets would be the 6.5-284.

Jim

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alpine: Since you will be limited to a certain velocity with those LVD bullets and I think it's around 3000fps plus might want to give Sierra a call and see what they have to say about the velocity. I did a 6/284 and 6br when the 1/8 twist barrel first came out. I think the bullets and barrels have gotten better. I just never really shot those rifles very well. I'm big fan of the 6mm Rem and have an 6AI. If it was me I'd kind of look at the 6mm/22-250 case, it's alittle more efficient. Tubbs has a 6x that he uses and swears by. I'm having a 6mm/22-250 done right now but with a 1/14 twist barrel and is being done on a 700 long action with a single shot follower. Remington come out with a 40x in a 6mm International 22-250/250 case, may of been ahead of it's time. My long range PD rifle for next year is a 6.5/284. Just my .02 worth. Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alpine for what it is worth I do quite a bit of what you are talking about. My 4 favorite guns for long range chucks are the 6/06 the 270 the 7 Mashburn Super and the 340. All have Schneider tubes on them.

Anyway to your question--no doubt in my mind I'd go for the 6/06, 25" and pick your twist. I use 10 and the 95 Nozler Bt's at 3500. It works just fine, I have a 6-20 Leo with Premier dotz to 700 in it. It works......

Just my thoughts.

By the way Jim Kobe I think you may know a buddy of mine- Paul Thomas from Burnesville. In fact I think I am shooting a 338/300 WSM that you tubed up for him. It is now in my truck! It shoots great great by the way.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, I hope to be over your way in the next two weeks to hunt Elk. Give me a call.

My Krieger is a 6 Ackley and is shooting very well.

Snapper

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote