New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prairie dog activity
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just returned from a PD hunt on the Texas south plains. The weather was unsettled, with a very strong wind blowing and intermitent low overcast/sun/rainclouds.

We noticed that prairie dog activity throughout the day increased markedly when the sun came out. It fell off precipitously when a raincloud passed over, even if there was no precipitation from it. Cloudy or sunny, the wind was blowing strongly throughout the day, except for one brief sunny and calm period when prairie dog activity seemed to peak.

Do you guys who hunt dogs on a regular basis find a similar pattern of activity that correlates with the weather of the moment?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Our ground squirrels are the same way, when the sun's out there is a lot more activity.

I think that it may relate to how well they see flying predators and a cloudy/overcast sky makes them more nervous.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stone & Frank,

I don't know about the nervous bit but that is a very logical explanation.

My experience also the cloudy weather keeps the PD activity slower above ground than when the weather's sunny.

Also appears there's not alot of reason to get out there at the crack of dawn either, have a good breakfast, read the paper, let the sun start to warm up a bit and then hit the road.

Good thing they can't see the shadow from a 50 grain Speer TNT - Huh?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
It sounds as though the Lone Star pds are related to the Northern Plains pds. I have observed the same behavior many times. A partly cloudy sky doesn't seem to affect them much. But an overcast day can really slow things down.

I am not at all sure why. Frank could have the answer, but I have routinely watched birds of prey flying over or circling a town and the pds don't even seem to take notice. A coyote or badger within sight of them and they will run for their burrows. I just kind of figured they liked the sunny weather like I did. thumb

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Do you guys who hunt dogs on a regular basis find a similar pattern of activity that correlates with the weather of the moment?

Yup. If it is cloudy, go have a sandwich.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stoneman,

Just finished loading some 17-222 PD medicine, for my Sako L461 single-shot.

The "Old Man of the Mountain" once told me that PD's are less active when they cannot see their own shadow.

Sounds as good as anything else I've heard....

Later...

Friend Of The 17....and 20
Kevin Gullette

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep i've had the same experience. Whenever some clouds passed over they popped back into the holes. At least that allows me to let the guns cool off and take a break.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
I'll fifth or sixth that, wherever I am here in line. From what I've noticed, they're a hair more skidish in the wind also. At least the dog town I hunt. Which is terribly over hunted. Only dirt dogs that I have ever had to stalk to get within 100yds. Alot of them see a pickup and head for the holes.

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote