New
Find
Notify
Tools

eastern coyotes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I live in the forested east. We got coyotes bad. Killed my dog last year. Again this year they are comming close around the house. I got rat terrier pups and don't want to lose them. The foliage is very thick so getting them to come close enough for a shot is tough. I am hesitant to try to call without knowing the best way to go about it. Don't want to just educate them. Never done much calling. Ideas? "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Get a shotgun, it's not a sport when you're trying to protect your dogs, etc.

One of the best draws for coyotes is a recording of your puppies.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
D Hunter,

PM sent.

Posts: 28 | Location: Hoehne, Colorado | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
We've got coyotes around here. I saw 3 month old pups around the shooting range last weekend. I've seen 'em at night crossing the roads. I've never heard one howl. (I'm out on foot a lot at night and hear all the other critters.) Is that something they've quit doing as they migrated East, or something they just did in the movies?

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
I agree that Pup distress will work this time of year.But I have the best luck with Howling them in this time a year.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the BEST way if you are protecting your property is to create a bait station away from your home. cat food really stinks and brings them in, feed them for a about two weeks then take the time, observe them for the best hunt and try to get 'em all before they figure you out.

Doc

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

We've got coyotes around here. I saw 3 month old pups around the shooting range last weekend. I've seen 'em at night crossing the roads. I've never heard one howl. (I'm out on foot a lot at night and hear all the other critters.) Is that something they've quit doing as they migrated East, or something they just did in the movies?

Either they haven't quit, or a few of them have been watching movies. We had a couple, later a family, living on our property for a couple of years, and they would howl occasionally. One time, I think two or three of them howled for an hour or two. But mostly they didn't.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes they sing well. I have heard a regular choir sing on the mountain behind the house last summer. My brother that lives on the place heard one howl the classic ow,ow, ooooooooooowwwwww, a couple of times last Saturday night. Our houses are about 200 yards apart. He said that it sounded like it was between his house and mine. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
D,

I live in Northern Wis. where it is also forested. I realize I am not hunting "eastern" yotes but will relate my experiences, maybe you can apply some of the info to your situation.

IMHO Fjold is correct, use a shotgun. But I would not use bird shot. I hand load buckshot, and have found this to work the best. I tried all kinds of "off the shelf" buck shot loads and could not find anything that would print without "Coyote size" holes in the pattern. I am now loading single 0 buck, (.30) (if my memory serves me correctly). I can get 15 in a 2 3/4 inch shell, I backed off on the powder and am getting a killing group out to 50 yards. Point being, pattern your shotgun before you go hunting.

I would suggest scouting. If there are that many yotes around, you should be able to find their scat. Use high ground to look over lower ground. I would hunt with a partner when ever possible. The fastest way to educate a yote is to have them back-side you and you can't turn to kill them. You watch one side, your buddy watches the other. Camo is a must, especially your face.

Don't call too much. I call no more than 45 seconds and wait for several to five minutes. FWIW the coyotes in N. Wis. RARELY howl in the daytime. I have had VERY limited luck using a howler in this area. (yotes will readily howl back at night). I have had the best luck using mouth calls as they carry (in the brush) farther than electronics.

I used to bait and shoot coyotes on moonlit nights. Now we have collared Wolves and lots of (dedicated) game wardens. Point being, check your hunting regs before you go placing any kind of bait to shoot over.

Good luck and I hope to see some pictures of a kill soon. pdhntr

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
D Hunter,

Here is a primer for you: How to Call Coyotes-Link

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote