New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got back from Montana
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I spent 3 days around miles city helping the ranchers reduce their p dogs.

The first day sucked for us but the ranchers sure loved the rain. For the last 3 years every trip out west has brought rain. I told some of my rancher freinds that I was going to have to start charging for the rain. We had a good laugh.

The 2nd day was a good day We didn't fire a whole lot but had a enough to keep us busy. AThe 3rd day we were invitied to a ranch we hadn't shot before it was great. I ended up with 9 doubles and three triples. I didn't shoot a lot but waited for them to line up.

The rifles were savages, ruger and remingtons. Calibers were 223,22-250 and 243.

All in all were had a safe and productive p dog shoot.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P dog shooter: I am glad you finally got into some Prairie Dogs there on your third day!
I am impressed on your ability to wait for the PD's to line up! I am usually not so patient as you were. I also enjoy the multiple kills with one shot though when they occur!
Lots of weird weather this year in Montana and more to come I am sure.
It rained today here in SW Montana but is still supposed to get to 81 degrees.
When I commit to a Prairie Dog Safari I like to plan for 5 days minimum as a day of rain can cause gumbo and imposssible driving conditions for two days or more!
Did you see any Rattlesnakes, Coyotes or Badgers in your travels?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote